Go Down

Topic: L298N + ESC + Brushless Motor. (Read 10679 times) previous topic - next topic

raschemmel

You don't reverse voltage to an ESC to reverse the motor. If you did, either nothing would happen, or the circuit would smoke.
Also true, but I didn't think it through past "the L298 Output isn't compatible with a TTL PPM signal"
Arduino UNOs, Pro-Minis, ATMega328, ATtiny85, LCDs, MCP4162, keypads,<br />DS18B20s,74c922,nRF24L01, RS232, SD card, RC fixed wing, quadcopter

polymorph

It is a bit like asking where I put a lawnmower blade on my car. The two just don't go together in any way.
Steve Greenfield AE7HD
Drawing Schematics: tinyurl.com/23mo9pf - tinyurl.com/o97ysyx - https://tinyurl.com/Technote8
Multitasking: forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=223286.0
gammon.com.au/blink - gammon.com.au/serial - gammon.com.au/interrupts

raschemmel

It is a bit like asking where I put a lawnmower blade on my car. The two just don't go together in any way.
AMEN
Arduino UNOs, Pro-Minis, ATMega328, ATtiny85, LCDs, MCP4162, keypads,<br />DS18B20s,74c922,nRF24L01, RS232, SD card, RC fixed wing, quadcopter

ChilliTronix

Have you not heard of Boadicea?

MarkT

So what I got here is 3 components that I wanna use to build a self balancing robot, I'm not gonna
talk about the rest of the components.
For a self-balancing robot you need to set up a motor as a servomotor.  That means
you need a servo loop (typically a PID loop), which means you absolutely must have
a motor that can be driven full torque at stationary.

Give up on the RC ESC idea, give up on driving a 3-phase motor with an H-bridge.

You have two ways to do this:

1) Brushless motor with hall-sensors and an appropriate driver, plus encoder.
2) DC motor, H-bridge driver plus encoder.

The standard RC brushless motors are meant for extremely high currents/powers
and small size - avoid.

You need an industrial style brushless motor (BLDC) with 8 wires (3 phases +
5 for the hall sensor circuit).  You need a BLDC driver that is compatible - these
are usually available at industrial prices only (100's £/$) - unless you roll your own
(I have).

So if you rule out option 2) you'll have a steep learning curve.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

raschemmel

Have you not heard of Boadicea? 
The warrior queen  or the perfume ? You lost me.

ChilliTronix

The former... Legend says she had blades sticking out of her chariot wheels...

raschemmel

The former... Legend says she had blades sticking out of her chariot wheels...
@Polymorph,
Did you get that ? (the lawnmower blades go on you wheels...)

polymorph

Steve Greenfield AE7HD
Drawing Schematics: tinyurl.com/23mo9pf - tinyurl.com/o97ysyx - https://tinyurl.com/Technote8
Multitasking: forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=223286.0
gammon.com.au/blink - gammon.com.au/serial - gammon.com.au/interrupts

Domino60

To be or not to be? Read a book and you will see.
Join Discord Free_World (Arduino_Room) Live chat
https://discord.gg/bBXEuKQ

Etasinetas

Hola, interesante topic, yo hice un smart balance wheel con 2 l298n y dos motores de Paso, los motores de paso son similares de los brushless pues son brushless pero controlados por pulsos DC, esyo quiere decir que se le envía un pulso a dos bobinas y estas  responden segun el pulso atras o adelante o bloqueo, para un motor brushless de RC es necesario siempre el ESC ya que este convierte la corriente directa a un pulso alternado en tres faces o tres bobinas, este respo de fisicamente a un inpulso lineal por lo que es mas utilizado para generar altas revoluciones, pero de acuerdo a la configuracion del bobinado del motor si es de 12 polos o la cantidad de vueltas determinarías la velocida/fuerza del arrastre del motor, de acuerdo a esto si se toman las dos faces o los dos clabes exteriores de los 3 que van al motor, y se utiliza un transistor que por medio de una señal alta o baja dan el sentido de la corriente, en este caso el pulso de estas dos faces, esta inversion de polaridad la puede realizar el N298l.

whitebank

Jan 12, 2018, 04:59 am Last Edit: Jan 12, 2018, 05:11 am by whitebank
Hi,
It is possible to make brushless motor run from L298. I use 2 PCB of L298 to make 3 phase pulse to control motor.
Detail of project and result is posted in my blog here:
https://engineer2you.blogspot.com/2018/01/brushless-motor-l298-arduino.html

If you interested, please visit. Thank you

123Splat

self balancing robot with BLDC motors.  That's gonna be a neat trick to get working (bldc motor, driven by a reversible ESC is just gonna be too slow in transition from one direction to the other to keep the bot standing up.....)

Look up stepper motors ( and no they can't be driven by h-bridges either......)

raschemmel

No, it's not possible to drive brushless motors with an L298

TomGeorge

No, it's not possible to drive brushless motors with an L298
The guy in the reference uses two L298, and bit bangs the outputs with delay to get the HD motor to rotate.
I have asked him about speed, but it would not work for a BLDC motor of any power.
Tom... :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

Go Up