Go Down

Topic: Need to plug a Switch Illuminated in Mega 2560 that needs 250V (Read 562 times) previous topic - next topic

Azaltair

First of all, excuse my english, is not my native language
Second I'm newbie at Arduino and electronics, so apologies in advance if i misstep  :smiley-confuse:

So... I'm building a puzzle box with Switchs Illuminateds with 250V (more than 1, yes), i dont know how to build properly to Mega 2560 Arduino (5V), somebody can help?
(The puzzle box can be plugged into electric current, it doesnt move)

Thanks in advance  :)

Mikeb1970

What kind of lights are we talking about? LED's, Neon's,.... Do the already have resistor build in? Do you need to connect these lights to your Mega? Could you give use some more information please, I don't know these kind of puzzles.

Yours,

Mike

Azaltair

These ones:
http://sinolec.co.uk/1042-large_default/rocker-switch-240v-illum.jpg

Is to build a puzzle box kind like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVv6Qi8rdmE

But i cannot light up the "rocker switch" because the 250V conversion, i supose ^^

MarkDerbyshire

First of all please step away from 230V - it will kill you if you don't know what you are doing.  It even kills people who know what they are doing.  Stick to ELV devices - less than 50V AC or 120V DC which even these levels can hurt

Mikeb1970

Hello,

I must agree with Mark here, if you only have a limited knowledge of electricity you better don't use 230 volt, but choose to make your project using a lower voltage. In this case you could use a power supply that you plug in and transfers your 230 volts to 12 volts. There are many switches like you showed me available for 12 volt. I watched the video of the puzzle and if you get the combination right the box will open, witch in case you would use 230 volt it would be very easy to touch the switches and get seriously electrocuted.

By using a 230v to 12v power supply you can just plug it in to your box and you are safe.

I hope this information was helpful for you,

Yours,

Mike

Azaltair

JohnRob

I agree with the others.  You stated you are new to electronics,  I'm sure we would all like to see you stay around for a while.

I have a suggestion thought.   Perhaps you could:

• Use the switch you have selected but operate it at 5Vdc (the arduino voltage) and put an LED next to it.
  • Perhaps you could take apart the switch and replace what I expect is a neon bulb with an LED.

Both will allow you to built projects again.

Please do not PM me with thread based messages.  If your thoughts are worth responding,  the group should benefit from your insight.

Mikeb1970

I agree with you JohnRob. That's why I suggested to use a 12 volt power supply, it was never my intention to scare him doing this project, but safety was a concern here. As always it is hard to give allot of advice since we are limited in what we know about the project. But I will gladly help out more if my help is desired. About the switches, I very recently bought 20 rocker switches with an incorporated LED for $9, those where for 12 volt. I can't find any switches with an LED for 5 volt. To be honest I find this strange, there must be more people that want to use 5 volt lighted switches in combination with their Arduino. Your idea to use an LED beside the switch is a very good one. When it comes to replace the like we both suspect Neon isn't easy, I opened one of those switches once, to see what value the resistor inside had and it was equipped with several springs and specially formed parts, but it might work. 

Like I said, if more help is desired, I will gladly offer to help out more.

Sincerely Yours,

Mike

Azaltair

I was already doing exactly this now, and the leds and the switcher works fine (John's suggestion):
1.Use the switch you have selected but operate it at 5Vdc (the arduino voltage) and put an LED next to it.
But i thought i could supply the Switchers like Mike said, with a 12V power supply to illuminated them ^^ Exactly how i should do this, just plug in into the Arduino Mega?? Without any requeriment? I dont want to hurt/destroy it  :smiley-confuse:

Mikeb1970

Hello,

You can not connect the switches directly to the Mega. First of all you will either need to order new 12 volt switches or rebuild the ones you have to 12 volt, like Mark said. Then you need to get a 12 volt power supply and use the 5 Volt output from your Mega to control either a relay card or use transistors. Your Mega will provide 5 Volt on it's outputs and you can max draw 40mA per output. If you got it working like Mark said, with the LED's then maybe it's better to keep it like that.

Yours

Mike

avr_fred

Your Mega will provide 5 Volt on it's outputs and you can max draw 40mA per output.
Only advisable if you have a spare Mega board. 40ma per output is the "Absolute Maximum Rating", anything beyond this value is guaranteed to cause damage. A much safer number is less than 20 ma and there is a total package rating of 200ma, meaning the total current allowable out of all i/o combined and the processor current is 200 ma maximum.

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/Atmel-2549-8-bit-AVR-Microcontroller-ATmega640-1280-1281-2560-2561_datasheet.pdf

sterretje

These ones:
http://sinolec.co.uk/1042-large_default/rocker-switch-240v-illum.jpg
Next time, please post a link to the datasheet (or product page) instead of an image. That way we can probably see the internals of the product (the switch in this case) and advise better.
If you understand an example, use it.
If you don't understand an example, don't use it.

Electronics engineer by trade, software engineer by profession. Trying to get back into electronics after 15 years absence.

Mikeb1970

@sterretje

If you would have looked at the link he used and would have used your imagination a little bit you would have been able to find a product page.

http://sinolec.co.uk/en/single-pole-rocker-switches/1211411-rocker-switch-240v-illum.html

What did you expect this part was going to be? I can with a very high certainty tell you it's not a diode, transistor, mosfet, opamp, potentiometer.....

I thought this forum was around to help people, not for venting your criticism without even contribute anything. We may not have the knowledge that you have (yet) but we still do deserve to be treated with the same respect as you treat other people. This is the typical way you engineers look down on people and make it why people can't stand you. It caused me in 2011 a very severe depression because I had to work with people like you. You love to show to others your smarter then they are and disrespect them, and if somebody else has a better idea then you have you just steal it.

sterretje

Yep, but we have no idea what is inside that switch ! A simple bulb? A little neon light? Do you know now based on the product page?
And no, I'm not going to dig through the website to find the specific part.

Further my reply may help the OP in future to post more complete / accurate information. So yes, it helps him/her in my view.

Regarding the rest of your last paragraph, don't read what is not written.
If you understand an example, use it.
If you don't understand an example, don't use it.

Electronics engineer by trade, software engineer by profession. Trying to get back into electronics after 15 years absence.

aarg

@sterretje

If you would have looked at the link he used and would have used your imagination a little bit you would have been able to find a product page.
We're not paid to offer advice here. It's incumbent on people who are requesting information to do the basic ground work.
  ... with a transistor and a large sum of money to spend ...
Please don't PM me with technical questions. Post them in the forum.

Go Up