Go Down

Topic: Chaos with DUPONT WIRES, this might help (Read 488 times) previous topic - next topic

vroemm

Lots of dupont wires.
So many color, pin combinations.
Where is the one you need ?

This wires holder helps :

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2429184

PaulRB

Jan 13, 2018, 08:16 pm Last Edit: Jan 13, 2018, 08:18 pm by PaulRB
@vroemm, I don't mean to disrespect you, only to disagree with you. This is what I would recommend for holding Dupont cables:

PaulRB

Jan 13, 2018, 08:29 pm Last Edit: Jan 13, 2018, 08:58 pm by PaulRB
They are one of the top reasons for circuits not working, both here on the forum, and with my friends at local groups. They fail so frequently, especially where the cable joins the plug. So many hours are wasted only to discover that a faulty dupont wire was the cause. I recommend avoiding them in favour of solid wire, laid flat onto the breadboard. You can easily tell when a solid wire has failed. It goes floppy! Where a component cannot be directly connected to a breadboard, usually a breadboard-compatible version of the component could have been purchased instead, if the shopper had thought for a little longer about how they would construct the prototype circuit and the final build.

vroemm

@PaulRB I agree for a large part with you.

But the dupont wires have their useful moments.

And their place in a hobby room.

I will not throw them away.

Btw, breadboards are, for some cases, not exactly a perfect testing tool either.

If you throw away the dupont wires,  are you then not very far away from throwing away the breadboards also ?

CrossRoads

The wires with the square crimp housings are usually not bad. Especially if one uses terminated wires from Pololu.com and they are used in crimp housing to bundle them together to plug in to female headers or to plug on to male pins.
For example, using a 1x6 housing
https://www.pololu.com/product/1905
to hold wires for Gnd, blank, D13, D12, D11, D10 for an SPI interface, and a 2 pin housing for 5V and Gnd.

I buy 50 packs of female-female, female-male, and male-male wires in different lengths to connect things up
https://www.pololu.com/product/1801

The wires with the round encapsulated ends can be more troublesome.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

PaulRB

Jan 14, 2018, 12:04 am Last Edit: Jan 14, 2018, 12:11 am by PaulRB
If you throw away the dupont wires,  are you then not very far away from throwing away the breadboards also ?
I love breadboards. I avoid using dupont wires whenever I can. As I said before, I use solid wire and try always to buy components that can be connected directly with breadboards. Like these, for example:

tinman13kup

Using the short solid wires sure does help prevent things from getting lost in the jungle. Connections are easier to verify as well.

Just don't use your tuned antenna PaulRB. One end isn't stripped
Tom
It's not a hobby if you're not having fun doing it. Step back and breathe

aarg

Jan 14, 2018, 06:20 am Last Edit: Jan 14, 2018, 06:22 am by aarg
Just don't use your tuned antenna PaulRB. One end isn't stripped
Actually when I make wire antennas I used to push the insulator back while making the cut, so it's insulated and also will cause less injury if it pokes someone in the eye. I now also make a small loop at the end.
  ... with a transistor and a large sum of money to spend ...
Please don't PM me with technical questions. Post them in the forum.

outsider

Jan 14, 2018, 08:18 am Last Edit: Jan 14, 2018, 08:18 am by outsider
Once had a little wire bending jig for making breadboard jumpers of custom lengths, but it disappeared and I've not been able to find a replacement. Anyone know where I could get one? (if they still make them).

TomGeorge

Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

aarg

Most of the problems I've had with the Dupont connectors are with the pin type. The female type fit snugly on pin header strips very reliably, I use them for almost everything... for proto boards I cut and strip my own solid conductor wires. It's better because you can control the length.
  ... with a transistor and a large sum of money to spend ...
Please don't PM me with technical questions. Post them in the forum.

larryd

Once had a little wire bending jig for making breadboard jumpers of custom lengths, but it disappeared and I've not been able to find a replacement. Anyone know where I could get one? (if they still make them).

No technical PMs.
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.

Go Up