Arduino Leonardo homemade

Hi all,

I have done a bit of googling with out much luck. I want to see if it is possible to use an atmega32u4 as a keyboard interface for some CNC mills to jog the mill etc.

I am wondering other than the atmega32u4 it self and a voltage regulator a crystal & other passives. What other parts are necessary is it like the old atmega328 which only requires the above?

I recently got the Arduino Leonardo and it is working well. I need to get about 10 made up for the lowest cost possible (of course). I can get a board fabricated and place the parts my self. I also have an AVR programmer handy to burn the boot loader.

Looking for examples if anyone has seen someone using an atmega32u4 in a home made style board.

Thanks for any input.

Is this over budget...
http://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy.html

I want to see if it is possible to use an atmega32u4 as a keyboard interface for some CNC mills to jog the mill etc.

Do the CNC mills have a USB connector for the keyboard or a PS/2 connector (or something else)?

The mills are controlled by a PC through parallel or usb depending on the model. The keyboard needs to work through USB.

The teensy looks nice pretty much what I was after but I want to make it my self though. That will allow me to hook a few other features on to the same board i.e. the emergency stop button which goes into the motor controller board.

ashleyhughes:
The mills are controlled by a PC through parallel or usb depending on the model. The keyboard needs to work through USB.

The teensy looks nice pretty much what I was after but I want to make it my self though. That will allow me to hook a few other features on to the same board i.e. the emergency stop button which goes into the motor controller board.

You could make a PCB with a socket on it that the Teensy plugs in to.

I suggest you download the Leonardo schematic from the main site and base your design on that, leaving off the bits you don't need e.g. either the USB power feed-through transistor or the voltage regulator (depending on how you intend to power it) and the LEDs.

dc42:
I suggest you download the Leonardo schematic from the main site and base your design on that, leaving off the bits you don't need e.g. either the USB power feed-through transistor or the voltage regulator (depending on how you intend to power it) and the LEDs.

Thanks I did not think about that. I will have a look at the circuit diagrams and work off that.