So...what did Santa get you?

Got myself a large radio controlled monster truck from the Shack. I am in the process of converting it to an automated vehicle of some sort...

After many unsuccessful attempt of trying to build a model wheeled platform myself, I figured it is probably a lot cheaper to buy a toy one, use the driving/turning mechanisms and re-do the electronics myself...

so I ended up buying like 800 IR LEDs

You could use them to make Christmas lights for special ops troops. Or for pit vipers. :sunglasses:

After many unsuccessful attempt of trying to build a model wheeled platform myself, I figured it is probably a lot cheaper to buy a toy one, use the driving/turning mechanisms and re-do the electronics myself...

Next time, try your local area Goodwill stores first; generally at any such given store you can find 1-3 radio/remote-controlled toys that could possibly make excellent platforms for robots (I've even found $25 roombas, and $5 robosapiens). Most such toys run around the $5.00 mark, but if you can wait for the half-price Saturday sale, things most people won't touch become an experimenter's lab part quickly!

Sometimes, you may get really lucky, and find a good quality Powerwheels ride-on toy for $50 or less; these can make an awesome robot platform - if you have the room for something that large, and you are willing to put in the money and/or work needed to implement a steering control system. I'm currently in the process of building such a platform, actually - and the steering system has been a lesson in creativity!

Goodwill should be on your list of places to check out for interesting bits of gear for electronics experimentation. You can find all manner of strange stuff there (much of it in perfectly working condition), for very little money. You might be very surprised at what people and companies donate.

:slight_smile:

Good idea on checking Goodwill Cr0sh

Hi Cr0sh,

That's an excellent point! It just never came across my mind before... I'll have to locate the good will nearby...

Ripleys and World Record Books

Heh I got the Ripley's too :stuck_out_tongue:

Also no electronic stuff (apart from a 'stocking filler' - had no stocking) solar torch and as I now have 3 of them, I'm going to take one apart and use it for something :stuck_out_tongue:

I also have loads of stuff already so I had no need for more electronics.

Mowcius

I got a dog. ;D

are you going to take it apart?

Make a RGB led collar for it :smiley: Going to make something like that for my parents when they get a dog, so it can be seen in the dark :wink:

I got a dog. ;D

you hacked it yet? or have you took it apart for anything?? ;D ;D

I got a Kindle.
I have rediscovered my love of reading (no, not the town in Berkshire), and in the famous last words of Captain Oates:

I am just going outside and may be some time

Goodwill and other thrift stores are a great source for wall wart power moduals and +5vdc regulated cell phone charges, usually $1-2. Also old VCRs are a great source for electronic parts and are cheap sometimes.

Lefty

Goodwill and other thrift stores are a great source for wall wart power moduals and +5vdc regulated cell phone charges, usually $1-2. Also old VCRs are a great source for electronic parts and are cheap sometimes.

There's waaay better stuff than that there if you spend some time looking, and go often.

Besides robosapiens and roombas (and Powerwheels), I've found large R/C tanks, trucks, cars, etc. One time I picked up a Wowee Roboquad for five bucks. I am always finding old Polaroid cameras for the ultrasonics (equal to the Senscomp 6500). I once found (but didn't buy) an electric two-wheel mobility platform (like a Segway, just cheesier) that would've made a good robot platform. Sometimes you find mobility chairs going cheap, too.

Let's see - high-speed air pumps from breathing treatment systems can be repurposed for pneumatics. I recently found a "professional" long-distance 802.11 can-tenna yagi for building-to-building use (paid $7.00 for that!). I've found various computer bits and pieces (once got a nice bluetooth Mac keyboard, also a laser barcode scanner, and an embeddable PC system). You can also find tons of wire and other such bits, plus remote controls of all sorts. There's cell phones and pagers to be had (sometimes you can repurpose the displays, or the vibrating motor). Playstation controllers and similar joysticks/pads for all kinds of fun. Large VHS video cameras - lots of fun stuff there (comeon - you know your robot needs a zoom lens!)...

Really - there is a ton of stuff to be had for electronics and robotics hacking from Goodwill and other thrift stores. I always go with an eye to see "what can I buy with 'hackable' parts"...

;D

Junk Stores: "Building 19", a local buy-damaged-stock-and-resell-for-pennies-warehouse-place provided me with my Christmas gift:

$5 got me a Wowwee Rovio (Wifi mobile webcam!!) with battery issues

After discovering it works(!!) with a good power source $7 got me 4 "AA" 2300 mAH NiMH. A little solder and elbow grease later, I have a 6v 2300mAH NiMH pack, which is close enough to the 3000maH it's supposed to run on. After a ten minute charge I got about a minute of driving it around via web interface.. bodes well for running halfway okay when they are fully charged. This device sells for upwards of $150, I'm into it for $12.

Now, the question becomes whether I can hijack any signals off the WiFi the Rovio has onboard. It would be too cool if there's a usable UART channel unused, just waiting for an Arduino..

Now waiting on those little suckers to charge up!

Thank You Dumpster Claus!

I've got a nice shirt of my favorite football team. I love it :smiley:

Thank You Dumpster Claus!

;D ;D ;D

I've got a nice shirt of my favorite football team. I love it

American or real football?

:wink:

It wasnt santa, but I got a great electronics gift from our former manager at work, he came in today before leaving the state to go work with his brother to say goodbye to everyone

while he was walking around one last time, I said "hey man I have your big multimeter, dont leave without it" and I got in return "I never use it anyway, you take it as a gift, merry Christmas"

I am now the happy owner of a barley used Tektronix DMM914

!!SCORE!!

(ill get a picture of it after I eat dinner)

I am now the happy owner of a barley used Tektronix DMM914

That is a nice score. If you don't already have one, you might try and find the user manual for it, if not free via the web maybe E-bay for a tree version.

Lefty

i got the pdf and have been reading though it, though I have used it a few times at work, im not totally new to it ;D

PS: it also measures frequency and capacitance (yay!)

Omg dude that things friggin nice, it has so many buttons I wouldn't know what to do with 'em

I got a cheapo (45 dollars I think) multimeter that does capacitance and frequency (I chose it specifically for capacitance)