Go Down

Topic: Request to add a sticky? (Read 680 times) previous topic - next topic

lastchancename

Sep 03, 2017, 10:17 am Last Edit: Sep 03, 2017, 10:27 am by lastchancename
Over the last few weeks, I'd been writing some posts to help beginners - in a slightly different way.

I was hoping the conversation might reach the intended audience 'naturally' but I suspect they can't read (same with their datasheets!)

Other members have recommended these might be collected into a single post as a sticky - then at least anyone that can read - has a chance to find them!

BEGINNERS: If you can't describe your project, how can we help you?

BEGINNERS: We rarely write code for you, but will help you write it for yourself

BEGINNERS: TOP FIFTEEN MISTAKES (well a shot at them anyway)

BEGINNERS: Think of everything as a function()

BEGINNERS: COMPILE TIME vs RUN-TIME ERRORS

BEGINNERS: Where did my volts go?
Q: How many searches did you make before posting this question?      A: none
At the very least, take a guess at the solution, then we can help move forward from what you know already.

kenwood120s

I suspect they can't read
That's uncalled for.

The real issue with doing it your way, was that because this is a forum board, unless there's a reply, the thread will sink into oblivion in a few hours. So someone who may well be a candidate for reading your articles, may never get to see them.

The sticky will fix that.
[gumby]I've got my head stuck in the cupboard[/gumby]

Robin2

Even if the Moderators do not make this Thread into a Sticky it will be useful as an index to all the other parts.

Looked at from that point of view the title "Request to add a sticky?" is plain silly.

Change the title to something that reflects the content - what about "Tips for Beginners"

And why have you put it in the Website and Forum section when it has absolutely ZERO to do with the behaviour of the  website. Your other Threads are in Project Guidance and that's where this one should be

You have lots of good ideas. Don't let them get lost by poor administration on your part.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

PaulS

And why have you put it in the Website and Forum section when it has absolutely ZERO to do with the behaviour of the  website.
Well, it seems to me that this is the place to ask about how to get something(s) made into stickies, even if the things to be stickied are in another part of the forum.
The art of getting good answers lies in asking good questions.

Robin2

Well, it seems to me that this is the place to ask about how to get something(s) made into stickies, even if the things to be stickied are in another part of the forum.
My comment was because the thing to be "stickied" is not (yet) in another part of the Forum.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

PaulS

My comment was because the thing to be "stickied" is not (yet) in another part of the Forum.
lastchancename posted links to the things he/she wanted as stickies, so I don't understand you comment or concern.

Robin2

Sep 05, 2017, 06:56 pm Last Edit: Sep 05, 2017, 06:57 pm by Robin2
lastchancename posted links to the things he/she wanted as stickies, so I don't understand you comment or concern.
IMHO what should be stickied is the Post in this Section which has the links to all the other Threads. The idea of making 6 separate stickies is preposterous.

And, of course, if it is made a sticky it should not be in this Section.

...R

Delta_G

IMHO what should be stickied is the Post in this Section which has the links to all the other Threads. The idea of making 6 separate stickies is preposterous.

And, of course, if it is made a sticky it should not be in this Section.

...R
Should it even warrant it's own sticky?  Or should it go into the "Useful Threads" sticky we already have in Programming Questions. 
If at first you don't succeed, up - home - sudo - enter.

Robin2

Sep 06, 2017, 10:08 am Last Edit: Sep 06, 2017, 10:14 am by Robin2
Should it even warrant it's own sticky?  Or should it go into the "Useful Threads" sticky we already have in Programming Questions.  
I agree with you, I said something similar elsewhere.

But, whether it is a sticky or just a link in the "Useful Threads" I reckon someone needs to evaluate whether it merits that treatment.

I suggested in Reply #2 in this Thread that the OP should use his Original Post in this Thread (with a suitable Title, and probably moved to the Programmin section) as an index to his other Threads. That way there will be an opportunity to see if it gains sufficient traction to justify making it a sticky or referencing it in Useful Links.

...R

PaulS

That way there will be an opportunity to see if it gains sufficient traction to justify making it a sticky or referencing it in Useful Links.
Before either of those things happens, lastchancename needs to edit all of the posts, and tone down the language a bit. Newbies are uninformed, not stupid (usually).

Go Up