Please Stick a list of arduino enabled chips :)

am I going to have to modify the arduino IDE files in some way each time I want to program the 20Mhz and change it back to program the 16Mhz ones?

There needs to be some modifications for different speeds. You have to program them using a different core file if they are different speeds or else the basic fuctions (delays etc) will not work corrently at the new speed.

Mowcius

The only changes that need to be made is the F_CPU speed setting. This is done in the MAKEFILE for the bootloader and in boards.txt for each cpu. The core file take care of the cpu speeds from that. No changes required.

I did have a problem with the the F_CPU=14.7456, some of the macros needed to be changed else it drifted 20 minutes in 8 hours.

I have a new web page with all of this stuff. I should have my core files up there later tongiht

http://www.arduino-avr.com/

The reason I ask is, if I have a project which uses say 5 processors, and I want to use the main one at 20Mhz but the other 4 at 16Mhz, am I going to have to modify the arduino IDE files in some way each time I want to program the 20Mhz and change it back to program the 16Mhz ones?

WanaGo, the ONLY thing you would have to do is to create a new entry in the "boards.txt" file that has the CPU SPEED changed to 20 mhz, the core files take care of the rest. You would just have to select which ever "board" you are currently using.

If anyone knows of other boards or CPUs that are available, let me know and I will add them to my test suite.

Mark

Looks great.

That 3920 with LCD driver looks cool.

Mowcius

Mark;

Does the location instructions from the following playground information for 3rd party processors apply?

Third-Party Hardware
Support for third-party hardware can be added to the hardware directory of your sketchbook directory. Platforms installed there may include board definitions (which appear in the board menu), core libraries, bootloaders, and programmer definitions. To install, create the hardware directory, then unzip the third-party platform into its own sub-directory. (Don't use "arduino" as the sub-directory name or you'll override the built-in Arduino platform.) To uninstall, simply delete its directory. We would use a arduino folder name for your files here, correct?

For details on creating packages for third-party hardware, see the platforms page on the Google Code developers site.

Brilliant thanks, thats what I needed to know

retrolefty

Yes that applies. It was new in version 0018 to have multiple folders and each one to have its own "boards.txt". It makes it VERY easy to add a new board.

What I have done is modifed the arduino core files to use register based #Ifdefs instead of cpu based #ifdefs. With the exception of the "pins_arduino.c" file. Nothing needs to be changed for a new cpu. From my list you will see I have almost all the bases covered.

Mark

MarkS

I have been doing a lot of work on the core files to enable them to support as many cpus as possible. Some of my changes have already been accepted for version 20. I hope some more of them will be as well. Here is a list of what I have working.

Thanks MarkS for having all these. I always knew Arduino had more, suspected there was more on top of those, but had no clue there were so many.

Part of the Arduino appeal for me is abstracting the lower layers as I don't handle that so well. I'd like to cast my vote to get more of these accepted into new releases.

I am currently considering sorting out a version of the arduino IDE with extra stuff included.

Not sure how interested people would be in that. So you could download the IDE with all of the most common libraries included and derivitive board core files already included.

Mowcius

I'd like to see more in the IDE. I've wondered why the more common and stable playground libraries haven't been included and the extra board/chip definitions (as mentioned earlier). Maybe those could be under some "contrib" type menu? Or is this a taboo subject? (remember I'm kinda new here)

Thankfully due to the help of others, this isn't too hard. :slight_smile:

I'd like to see more in the IDE. I've wondered why the more common and stable playground libraries haven't been included and the extra board/chip definitions (as mentioned earlier). Maybe those could be under some "contrib" type menu? Or is this a taboo subject? (remember I'm kinda new here)

It's just not something the arduino team seem to like to do... :-?

@ MarkS, is it correct, that your URL now redirects to the arduino homepage?

secound question: do you thing of supporting some of the xMegas?

masimo asked me not to use Arduino in my web page name

My new web page with all of the supported chips is

http://www.avr-developers.com/

thats kind of crappy since your showing all the chips that work with arduino's wrapper

I wouldn't judge them too harshly. Now that the word Arduino is trademarked they have to defend the trademark else it becomes diluted and it cannot be effectively enforced.

--
The Quick Shield: breakout all 28 pins to quick-connect terminals

This stupidity is getting out of hand, I don't buy this "have to defend" FUD.

masimo asked me not to use Arduino in my web page name

at least redirect your old URL to your new one...

I don't buy this "have to defend" FUD.

It isn't FUD. One of the rules with a trademark (in the U.S.) is that you have to prevent it from becoming diluted. From Harvard's website...

Trademark rights can also be lost through genericity. Sometimes, trademarks that are originally distinctive can become generic over time, thereby losing its trademark protectionKellogg Co. v. National Biscuit Co., 305 U.S. 111 (1938). A word will be considered generic when, in the minds of a substantial majority of the public, the word denotes a broad genus or type of product and not a specific source or manufacturer. So, for example, the term "thermos" has become a generic term and is no longer entitled to trademark protection. Although it once denoted a specific manufacturer, the term now stands for the general type of product. Similarly, both "aspirin" and "cellophane" have been held to be generic. Bayer Co. v. United Drug Co., 272 F.505 (S.D.N.Y. 1921). In deciding whether a term is generic, courts will often look to dictionary definitions, the use of the term in newspapers and magazines, and any evidence of attempts by the trademark owner to police its mark

so instead of going balls out on the ebay clones they choose a community member providing a free service compatible with "their" software that helps us all

::slight_smile:

also what about sparkfun who is offering an uno in a totally redesigned blister pack, does that not dilute the brand? as its no longer in its original distinct packaging (and has the word arduino written on the new packaging) and implys that it is a sparkfun brand arduino uno?

like I said its kind of crappy, defend your IP all you want, but dont crap on your community

also what about sparkfun who is offering an uno in a totally redesigned blister pack, does that not dilute the brand?

Seems like it to me. To me the packaging makes it look like "Arduino" is a product brand made by "Sparkfun".

Seems like it to me. To me the packaging makes it look like "Arduino" is a product brand made by "Sparkfun".

Hadn't really thought about that but I suppose I agree :slight_smile: