iMall iTeadStudio PCB Ordering Process?

I just placed my first order with iTeadStudio... going to try them out.

I'm a little confused by their system... I've already paid for my order via Paypal, but when/where do I upload my Gerber ZIP files?

Do I sent it via email, or is it under My Account?

Can anyone with experience ordering from iTead let me know what I'm missing. Thanks.

Just sent one this afternoon myself. Send it to: pcb@iteadstudio.com. I always just send a zip file with the Gerbers in it. I use my order number for the filenames (Gerbers and zip), but this is not a requirement of theirs. I also tend to put the order number on the board, just for my reference, but I figure it can't hurt.

Their requirements as well as the email address are at the bottom of the page for whatever particular board you're ordering, e.g. http://imall.iteadstudio.com/open-pcb/pcb-prototyping/im120418001.html

Ahhh thanks. I didn't read all the instructions.

Their ordering system is a little primitive and a hack job. We'll see how their service goes.

where do you put the outline? it says one of the layers, what should that layer be called?

most people want it in the drill file

Use their .cam file
File:Cam processor, new window opens
File:Open:Job, browse to the iteadstudio .cam file you previously saved
Select Process Job.
Zip the 13 files newly created (not .sch & not .brd), and send to pcb@iteadstudio, include the Order number you got back after paypal payment was sent.

Make sure any errors are resolved on schematic (Tools:ERC)
and on the board (Tools:DRC, Load - select Itead_rule.dru you previously saved, Check).

I dont use eagle and it barfs in altium

Sorry about that.

vasquo:
Ahhh thanks. I didn't read all the instructions.

Their ordering system is a little primitive and a hack job. We'll see how their service goes.

Things are fairly basic, but service has been good for me.

Osgeld:
where do you put the outline? it says one of the layers, what should that layer be called?

most people want it in the drill file

The page I linked above lists the following, but their CAM job also produces a milling file (.GML) which has the outline, so I send that too, eight files in all.

2.Gerber files needed for 2-layer PCB boards:

Top layer: pcbname.GTL
Bottom layer: pcbname.GBL
Solder Stop Mask top: pcbname.GTS
Solder Stop Mask Bottom pcbname.GBS
Silk Top: pcbname.GTO
Silk Bottom pcbname.GBO
NC Drill: pcbname.TXT

If there is`nt one, someone should make a youtube tutorial about how to submit an order from them. :slight_smile:

For all the people too lazy to read the

"How to make your design fabricated"

section of the ordering page?

http://imall.iteadstudio.com/open-pcb/pcb-prototyping/im120418001.html

I refuse on principal.

I hope itead works out.... beyond a certain size, OshPark's prices becomes expensive. OshPark is great though for tiny and small boards.

So I'm trying to use iTead for this medium sized prototype board.

Usually, I use an American company but at $100 for 5 boards (for any size... 1x1 up to 8x8 and bigger). However $100 for 5pcs of small and medium sized prototype boards is not a good bargain. For large prototype boards though, they're great.

On mass-production runs (100pcs, 250pcs and above), I use yet a different Chinese company (since '07). They charge tooling on the first run, but not on subsequent re-orders.

I'm spoiled by the other PCB companies with their instant online calculator, and web-based file uploads to update layers or maintain your gerbers. iTead's ordering workflow is not so good... and more suited for an online retail environment.

CrossRoads:
For all the people too lazy to read the

"How to make your design fabricated"

section of the ordering page?

http://imall.iteadstudio.com/open-pcb/pcb-prototyping/im120418001.html

I refuse on principal.

Fair enough.
I was thinking about first timers, for their first pcb design, could maybe be intimidated by the ordering process and need a bit of hand holding through the process.

Still at $10 plus shipping, if a mistake is made, its not the end of world. :slight_smile:

If you are using Altium you can just send the PcbDoc file, they don't need Gerbers.

I hope itead works out.... beyond a certain size, OshPark's prices becomes expensive. OshPark is great though for tiny and small boards.

I've used both iTead and LCBCart.

The proto services like iTead sound cheap and they are under the right circumstances, but I need 10 different boards done so I costed a panel with 10 designs as opposed to 10 boards done with iTead.

Result, MUCH cheaper to panalize the boards and use a professional fab house. $880 for 10 designs (10 boards each) from iTead, $673 for 10 panels each with 10 designs from PCBCart.

Rob

Graynomad:

If you are using Altium you can just send the PcbDoc file, they don't need Gerbers.

well I sent them a pile of gerbers, if they have any problems I can send them the pcb file, heck they can have the whole project folder as far as I am concerned, theres nothing magical about the hardware

I use seeedstudio and used iteadstudio some years ago. It sounds like itead has not updated their ordering system a bit. Now with seeed you can upload files. I have a tutorial for them. Same price as itead and free shipping for orders over $50

liudr:
Same price as itead

yea, they all go to the same place, fusion pcb, so they have their standard rate for a x/y panel which you cant deviate too much from cause every body and their brother is acting as a broker

Rumor has it that they use the same fab house.

well I got my pcb's in today, and am quite happy

drill and routing tolerances are tight and smooth
hasl is smooth, plating is mirror like
and the whole process took eh 3 weekish with cheap postage

win