Go Down

Topic: Internet talking to arduino (Read 694 times) previous topic - next topic

designzoo

I have seen examples online of people polling a webserver (txt file etc) to then set a value on the arduino. Is it not possible for an external website to send data over the internet to the arduino, if so how is this achieved? Ideally I would like the webpage to be flash of php.

PaulS

The Arduino with ethernet shield can be a client, polling another server, or a server, acting upon GET requests. It's all a matter of how you program it.
The art of getting good answers lies in asking good questions.

designzoo

okay cool, what are the best ethernet shields on the market? Whenever you use an ethernet shield, are there still input/output pins available?

PaulS

what are the best ethernet shields on the market?

http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoEthernetShield

Whenever you use an ethernet shield, are there still input/output pins available?

Arduino communicates with both the W5100 and SD card using the SPI bus (through the ICSP header). This is on digital pins 11, 12, and 13 on the Duemilanove and pins 50, 51, and 52 on the Mega. On both boards, pin 10 is used to select the W5100 and pin 4 for the SD card. These pins cannot be used for general i/o. On the Mega, the hardware SS pin, 53, is not used to select either the W5100 or the SD card, but it must be kept as an output or the SPI interface won't work.

So, yes there are still i/o pins available.
The art of getting good answers lies in asking good questions.

Go Up