(Out of Date) Guide: How to Insert Uploaded Images in a Post

Edit(25 November 2020): This guide is out of date. The procedure of adding images has changed.

I've had a couple people thank me for mentioning my technique of adding uploaded images inline so I thought I'd start a thread on the topic to make it easier for people to find.

I'm not sure there's if there's a better way to do this or not.

I start out by using the "Reply" option of adding a post (you can't use "Quick Reply") and attaching an image to the post. You attach an image file by selecting "Attachments and other options" then click "Choose Files" after which you navigate to the folder on your PC with the image file you wish to upload.

ArduinoFoumAddImage151206c.PNG

Now it would be nice if there were some way to insert the image inline at this point but I don't know of a way to do so.

So this is what I do to get the uploaded image into the post. After I've clicked "Post" I then return to the same post and right click the link to the photo and select "Copy link address". I then select "Modify" (under "More") and edit my post. Once I'm editing the post I use the "Insert an image" icon to add the pictures URL between IMG tags.

Once you've added the image's URL between the IMG tags click the "Save" button to save your changes.

Another guide...
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=519037.0

Nice solution!
thanks for sharing

I have been doing the same for about 6 months but, I have noticed that a about a week later the images are replaced by a small nondescript image taking the place of the once visible image.
It's my guess they may be messing with this technique.

Isn't this new improved web software a pleasure.

I have used that technique also. Alas I cannot remember when or in what Thread so I can't check if it is still working.

It would be a real PITA if they have broken a very convenient feature.

...R

I think it would be useful to mention that you need to click Reply(rather than using Quick Reply) to be able to attach files to a reply.

pert:
I think it would be useful to mention that you need to click Reply(rather than using Quick Reply) to be able to attach files to a reply.

Added.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've tried to find the stored attached files so I could link to them but no luck. As I attach the same files over and over the names must be changed when they are stored.

zoomkat:
I've tried to find the stored attached files so I could link to them but no luck. As I attach the same files over and over the names must be changed when they are stored.

After you upload the file yet again, what if you right click and use "Search Google for image"? It wouldn't really do you much good but it may, at least, satisfy your curiosity.

Cool solution!! I did it!!!

I thought I'd attempt to answer the following question here instead of in the thread where it was asked.

dave-in-nj:
is that photo now controlled by the forum ? or, if you change the photo will the new one be displayed ?
in FaceBook, only the link to the photo was used, the program pulled the photo from the link each time.
once the hackers found out about this, they would post pictures of puppies and such, then switch the photo and leave the original URL. then viewers were shown whatever the hacker wanted.
something I have been curious about.
also, since I host my photos on imgur, what happens to my photos if I loose the account or they end service ?

If the image had been uploaded to the forum, then the image is on the forum's servers. I doubt there's a way to modify the image once it has been uploaded. I'm pretty sure you could replace the uploaded file with a new image but this new file would need to be added to the post the usual way.

If you link to an image from an external site, then changing the image would also change what people saw on the forum.

If the externally hosted image is deleted, then the image will no longer be available from the forum.

When you use Quick Reply do a "Preview" and attchement menu will apear.

zoomkat:

The problem is the deliberate obfuscation that for no sensible reason, is implemented in the forum software. It refers to them by a "dark Web" reference; they are given a number and only ever referenced by that number using a PHP server script.

For example the image link in the first post above is "http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=364156.0;attach=146178" which is not an image URL but something the PHP script reads and inserts its version of the file. You can refer to that as frequently as you like, using it as an image link, but you can never see the file itself and if the attachment is removed from the original post, the file completely disappears from all links. This is presumably the phenomenon LarryD has experienced.

Paul__B:
The problem is the deliberate obfuscation that for no sensible reason,

The general philosophy of the Forum developers seems to be "if there is a more complicated way to do something let's use it.

...R

I find it really informative. Thank you for sharing your technique with us :slight_smile:

It's a pity this technique is needed though. Before the site was "up"-graded year or so back, it was much easier.

Robin2:
I have used that technique also. Alas I cannot remember when or in what Thread so I can't check if it is still working.

It would be a real PITA if they have broken a very convenient feature.

...R

I haven't had the images break yet, the image in my sig is done this way. The original thread has it listed at almost a 1/4 million downloads over almost a year & still is going strong.

Also if anybody wants to find any attachments they have posted, click this link here: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach

The method does not work with Internet Explorer 10 or 11.

The original tag...

[img width=281 height=500]http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=406514.0;attach=170844[/img]

The working tag...

[img width=281 height=500]http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=406514.0;attach=170844;image[/img]

Please append;imageto the end of the URL.

Do people still use Internet Explorer?

Why does Microsoft insist on making it non-standard?

...R

The IE must remain non-standard, so that as many web pages as possible can be viewed only by the latest IE on the latest Windows version, not on older Windows or by FF on a Mac or Linux machine :-]

Robin2:
Do people still use Internet Explorer?

I suspect the vast majority of Americans accessing the forum from work have no choice.

Why does Microsoft insist on making it non-standard?

This particular problem is a question of recovering gracefully. The forum software includes a disposition tag that conflicts with the way the data stream is being used. Obviously, Firefox and Chrome recover gracefully using the data stream the way the HTML author intended. Internet Explorer, on the other hand, just does not bother.

So, it is actually possible Microsoft is adhering to the latest internet standards and Firefox / Chrome are not. But I doubt it.

In any case, recovering gracefully should always trump any standards.