Professionally Printing my project? SMD?

The module is just 8 or 10 pins in a 2x4 or 2x5 0.1" pitch grid, yes?
You can pull up connector layouts from the con-lsta or con-lstb library, or from sparkfun once you download their library.
Sparkfun also has eagle tutorials.

what do you think? Now to get a prototype done. In the schematic i used an arduino micro, but in the parts list will the manufacturer know to substitute that with 1x17 female headers. i was able to find a 2x5 female header.

How do i go about submitting this for production?

THanks
Keith

receiverBoard_layout_1.0.png

www.oshpark.com is probably the cheapest and simplest way to get the board made. We ordered some boards for work and it came out quite well.

You assembling it is the best way for you to assemble the board. SMD parts are easily handled in small number and with larger pads (like you have). Just use the smallest diameter solder you can find.

Something to consider and this would also make the board itself cheaper is to put the arduino Micro directly on the board rather than buy it separate. The Schematic and eagle file should be directly available either from here or sparkfun. If you are uncomfortable soldering the uC, get the through hole version.

I am unsure what you are asking about the headers.

mirith:
www.oshpark.com is probably the cheapest and simplest way to get the board made. We ordered some boards for work and it came out quite well.

You assembling it is the best way for you to assemble the board. SMD parts are easily handled in small number and with larger pads (like you have). Just use the smallest diameter solder you can find.

Something to consider and this would also make the board itself cheaper is to put the arduino Micro directly on the board rather than buy it separate. The Schematic and eagle file should be directly available either from here or sparkfun. If you are uncomfortable soldering the uC, get the through hole version.

I am unsure what you are asking about the headers.

Thanks for the reply! I would love to have everything on the board Arduino and RF24, but I lack the experience. The attached image is my vision for this project as it stands.

The manufacturer isn't soldering in the headers, they are just drilling the holes and laying down the solder mask. It's up to you to solder in whatever you want to solder in the holes.

oh ok. I misunderstood then. Is it possible to get them assembled too?

Yes, places like www.cbas-usa.com do assembly, drop ship all your components, they assemble & return.
Send them your Gerber files, PL, and quantity, they'll send you a quote.
Some PCB board manufacturers will do assembly also.

CrossRoads:
Yes, places like www.cbas-usa.com do assembly, drop ship all your components, they assemble & return.
Send them your Gerber files, PL, and quantity, they'll send you a quote.
Some PCB board manufacturers will do assembly also.

thank you. should i include my 3d render for reference?

Wouldn't hurt.
Your original post said

2 arduino Micros, 2 RF24 chips, a pcf8574p, a 16x2 lcd (soon to be a 20x4) and a handful of LEDs and resistors.

Your rendering only shows the Micro and the LEDs/resistors.Where is the rest? Connected to the 4 headers?
I don't see any mounting holes - how does the overall board get secured in place?
Does the Micro come with pins? If not, you might consider these pins & sockets instead for a lower profile:
40-pin 1-row 0.1” PCB Male Machined Round Header - dipmicro electronics the larger diameter goes into the Micro, the smaller diameter into the female socket
40-pin 1-row 0.1” PCB Female Machined Round Header - dipmicro electronics

This place has headers in all different sizes too
http://www.king-cart.com/phoenixent/product=RECEPTACLES-SOCKETS+PCB+MOUNT+.1SP+SINGLE+ROW/exact_match=exact
17 seems like an odd number - maybe use breakaway headers, or use a 20 and add a couple of unused holes on each side, or use a 10 and a 7, but be aware that headers mounted side by side may have what seems like extra material on the adjacent pins that will keep them from sitting flush next to each other.

CrossRoads:
Wouldn't hurt.
Your original post said

2 arduino Micros, 2 RF24 chips, a pcf8574p, a 16x2 lcd (soon to be a 20x4) and a handful of LEDs and resistors.

Your rendering only shows the Micro and the LEDs/resistors.Where is the rest? Connected to the 4 headers?
I don't see any mounting holes - how does the overall board get secured in place?
Does the Micro come with pins? If not, you might consider these pins & sockets instead for a lower profile:
40-pin 1-row 0.1” PCB Male Machined Round Header - dipmicro electronics the larger diameter goes into the Micro, the smaller diameter into the female socket
40-pin 1-row 0.1” PCB Female Machined Round Header - dipmicro electronics

This place has headers in all different sizes too
Phoenix Enterprises product listing RECEPTACLES-SOCKETS PCB MOUNT .1SP SINGLE ROW
17 seems like an odd number - maybe use breakaway headers, or use a 20 and add a couple of unused holes on each side, or use a 10 and a 7, but be aware that headers mounted side by side may have what seems like extra material on the adjacent pins that will keep them from sitting flush next to each other.

Thanks for the heads up. Originally I was going to have the LCDs and ioExpanders (for the lcds), but i made a desktop application instead, so they arent needed. I wrote some debugging functions into the sketches that uses number codes on the status LED instead. 1x17 is odd but i figure it exists if eagle cad had it as a hardware option.

I really want to include (make my own on the board) the arduino and RF24L01SE+ ....thats the dream.

I've attached another pic...there are two boards in this project. I'm getting close! But having everything on the same pcb would be the holy grail!

So why not expand the eagle file for the micro and just add your other components? Ditch all the headers.

CrossRoads:
So why not expand the eagle file for the micro and just add your other components? Ditch all the headers.

:slight_smile: because i dont know how.

those boards look really similar
can you not design one board that does both roles
even if you populate them differently?

mmcp42:
those boards look really similar
can you not design one board that does both roles
even if you populate them differently?

I guess so. The only real difference is the 1x3 male headers (on the transmitter they are LEDS)

Are you using Eagle for schematic capture & board layout?

CrossRoads:
Are you using Eagle for schematic capture & board layout?

yes i am

So download the Eagle source files for the Arduino Nano, and just add/remove the components that you need/don't need.

Arrch:

[quote author=Keith Brown link=topic=175043.msg1322496#msg1322496 date=1374264073]
yes i am

So download the Eagle source files for the Arduino Nano, and just add/remove the components that you need/don't need.
[/quote]

as far as the workings of the arduino...im not sure what i need or not

Keep all that is there, find the dimension lines, drag them out to make the board a little bigger, and add your LEDs and headers.
Dirt simple.

ok, I think i'm 70% there...

Do you know where i can find a schematic of an RF24l01 so i dont have to have the, now bulky, female headers on my board to fit it?