I propose a new language.

C and Pascal.

Baby Cal (case insensitive like pascal is)

function DoSomething(): boolean;
int N;
String Str;
{
 SetLength(Str,100);
   for N=1 to 100 
     {
       Str[N]='!';
     }
  Return(true);
}

vs
Straight O-Pascal (eg, if you declare n as int, you can not declare N as int, because it's already used!)

function DoSomething(): boolean;
Var
 N: Integer;
 Str: String;
Begin
 SetLength(Str,100);
   for N:=1 to 100 do
     Begin
        Str[N]:='!';
     End;
  Result:=True;
//  FillChar(Str[1],100,'!'); instead of for loop
End;

Notice the strict rules, eg, Var section. can't just "Create" a var inside a loop! like in C.

boolean DoSomething()
{
int N;
char Str[100];

for (N=0; N<=99; N++)
  {
     Str[N]='!';
   }
  return(true);
}

So who's going to write a baby Cal compiler for me? Please? :smiley:

Pascal, a language designed to protect a progammer for himself. C, a language designed to let a programmer do whatever he wants, even if it's wrong. Your proposal is bound to end in a painful divorce. :wink:

I vote for ADA
Who is going to write the compiler?
Best regards
Jantje

I managed to avoid Pascal somehow, maybe just as well from what I can tell.

Anyway, PROFANITY is the language all programmers know best! :wink:

Jack
About PROFANITY
I agree it is by far the most used language by all programmers worldwide :astonished:. But IMHO it is not a structure language. ]:smiley:

Jantje

Anyway, PROFANITY is the language all programmers know best!

Not heard of that one, is it similar to Brainfuck?
The compiler is very compact, 200 bytes;

I recommend lolcode.

HAI
CAN HAS STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD!"
KTHXBYE

lithp ith a utheful programming language for protheththing lithtth and maketh reading the code out eathy if you have a thpeach impediment. I think thith jutht thhows compiler writerth are a pretty weird bunch.

((((I (would(think(a(lisp(like(language(would(just(be(what(an(arduino(could(excel(with))))

((((((Lefty)))))

You musn't forget VALGOL. A web search for VALGOL will turn up any number of older proposed languages (SLOBOL and FIFTH, for instance.) Some of these seem particularly readable compared to languages that have actually come into existence.

VALGOL is enjoying a dramatic surge of popularity across the industry.

VALGOL commands include REALLY, LIKE, WELL, and Y*KNOW.

Variables are assigned with the =LIKE and =TOTALLY operators.

Other operators include the "California booleans", AX and NOWAY.

Loops are accomplished with the FOR... SURE construct.

A simple example:

LIKE, Y*KNOW (I MEAN) START
  IF PIZZA        =LIKE BITCHEN AND
     GUY	  =LIKE TUBULAR AND
     VALLEY GIRL  =LIKE GRODY**MAX(FERSURE)**2 THEN
    FOR I =LIKE 1 TO OH*MAYBE 100
      DO*WAH - (DITTY**2); 
      BARF(I)=TOTALLY GROSS(OUT)
    SURE
    LIKE, BAG THIS PROGRAM; 
    REALLY; 
    LIKE TOTALLY(Y*KNOW);
    IM*SURE
  GOTO THE MALL

VALGOL is also characterized by its unfriendly error messages.

For example, when the user makes a syntax error, the interpreter displays the message GAG ME WITH A SPOON!

A successful compile may be termed MAXIMALLY AWESOME!

I believe VALGOL is a derivative of LAIDBACK which was developed at the Marin County Center for T'ai Chi,
Mellowness, and Computer Programming.

LAIDBACK responded to syntax errors with the message,
SORRY MAN, I CAN'T DEAL WITH THAT.

radman:
I believe VALGOL is a derivative of LAIDBACK which was developed at the Marin County Center for T'ai Chi,
Mellowness, and Computer Programming.

LAIDBACK responded to syntax errors with the message,
SORRY MAN, I CAN'T DEAL WITH THAT.

Hey, you making fun about my born and raised home county, second generation? :wink:

I did move across a bridge from there 20 years ago, but my daughters and grand-kids still live there (3rd and 4th generation born there). It's really is a most wonderful place to live if you can afford the housing.

Lefty

Hey, you making fun about my born and raised home county, second generation?

Not at all. Very laid back place, home of the hot tub.

Q: How many Marinites does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: Five - one to screw it in and four to sit in the hot tub and discuss the environmental impact.

radman:

Hey, you making fun about my born and raised home county, second generation?

Not at all. Very laid back place, home of the hot tub.

Q: How many Marinites does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: Five - one to screw it in and four to sit in the hot tub and discuss the environmental impact.

Actually I've not missed living there daily for a long time, very satisfied with just visiting friends and relatives an a biweekly basis or so, I'm just 20 miles away across a bridge spanning the bay. The problem is that the population has doubled in my lifetime, mostly starting in the 70s, and while the main highway (101) has been upgraded with added lanes, all the major surface streets are mostly the same as when I was born in 1947, hence traffic and parking are major pains and a real quality of life issue in my opinion. There is just so much opposition to any improvements to basic infrastructural items, mostly from a strong NIMBY and a "I got mine so lets not let anyone else have theirs" attitude.

Lefty

"I got mine so lets not let anyone else have theirs" attitude.

Ah well, we are all guilty to a greater or lesser extent. If only we lived on polynesian islands and shared everything :wink:

We shall call it American. It will have 25 letters in the alphabet. All of the letters in the English alphabet, except for . This new langage wold serve many benefits.