Arduino simulator.

There is a project to finish the development of a graphical real-time circuit simulator that integrates arduino boards.

Regards.

Updated 12-11-12

Pre-alpha version available: SimulIDE download | SourceForge.net

looks good!!

maybe add it to this thread too - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,98306.0.html - (for completeness)

Thanks robtillaart.

Well... this is still a project and not yet an "arduino simulator" (1), and there is a lot of work to do to it usable, i'll add it to mentioned thread when a relese is available.

(1) Or it is? i just wrote my first update: basic arduino uno board blinking a led. (updates tab in the project)

Regards.

I'm interested ... I'll be awaiting a beta version :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Great Job!!, but don't you think "Proteus" can do the same and more?

Great Job!!, but don't you think "Proteus" can do the same and more?

Thanks!

Yes Proteus can do a lot more... afther you learn to use it, this simulator wants to be simple and easy to use.
I find Proteus too complex, slow to use even when you learn the basics, dificult to find components in libraries, need to change tool for add components, wire then, move or do other thigs... i needed lot of time just to figure out what the hell i have to do to put a simple resistor in the circuit.

I think Proteus it's a very good app for professionals, specially if you can pay license, but not good for hobbist that just want to have a few generic components at hand, drag and drop in the circuit and hook then fast and easy, no lot of icons, lot of libraries, lot of screens, lot of time to learn the lots of features...

Proteus is a comercial aplication, this one will be free and open source, i opened the contributions campaign to have a release in a reasonable period of time, if i can't work in it full time for a few mounth it's dificult to have something working in Windows and Linux in short time.
If i just work in it in my sparse time, may be i need years instead of mounths.

The idea is also that contributors can participate in the development process, proposing and voting features, components or anything they would like to have in the simulator.

Next step will be integrate a code-editor/debugger/compiler so it will be possible: create sketches, compile, debug/simulate, and upload to real boards... but this will be in the future... i hope..

Regards.

Pre-alpha version available: SimulIDE download | SourceForge.net

I tried to install your simulator but got the message: missing libgcc_s.dw2-1.dll

I know I could just google it, but dll's are known for being infected with virus.

Hi Enri. thanks for the info.

I think that's a MinGW/gcc library, maybe i should compile that libs static. But in this moment i haven't a windows system at hand and i will be out for some days, maybe i can try to solve it in a week.

A work around could be installing MinGW and adding the compiler's bin directory to your PATH: MinGW - Minimalist GNU for Windows download | SourceForge.net

Any help with Windows version is very wellcome.

Best regards.

The windows version is working now, i just uploaded the new installer.

Greetings.

Hello, I love the GUI of your simulator, IMO the best so far. I've tried the version you've uploded to sourceforge and find it very intuitive to use.

Any plans on making a LCD screen soon, many applications use such screens in various sizes (16x2, 16,4 or 20x4)?

Hello again...

I'm working in a new version of the simulator, added a few new components and ported to Qt5.

I uploaded linux binaries ( 32 & 64 bits ) for testing:

I'm working in the Windows version, but it's not easy to compile simavr libraries in Windows, if someone can help with this it would be very apreciated.

Here is a video example:

Regards.

Edited (Dec 30,2015):
Finally i could compile a Windows 32 bit version, it's available for download in sourceforge project site.
I will upload 64 bit as soon as possible.

I will try to test it even if I am inexperienced with Arduino!

Ok I downloaded SimulIDE_0.0.2-Linux32-TEST.tar.gz , untarred and exec:

$ ./SimulIDE 
./SimulIDE: error while loading shared libraries: libgpsim.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

ok... I installed gpsim.... WHOAAAAAA IT STARTED!

Ok I open arduino example (graph, graph and voltmeter) but when I try to interact with circuit nothing happen.
How do I use the program?

I tried with a simpler stuff but nothing to do, I think that for some reason the program does not work properly to me

I have attached a screenshoot of the last test

Hi vinniec.

Thanks for the feedback.

You have to Power-on the circuit: the red button in the upper side.

Regards.

.. I forgot:

To run an Arduino or any other microcontroller example, first open the circuit, then right-click on the Arduino and select "load Firmware".. go to the example folder and select the hex file, then power the circuit and it will run.

Ok, with arduino example SimuIDE work, the only problem is crash when loading another arduino project after having already loaded one previously.
I also tried to create small circuit and work fine, even if the program crashes if I use the gnd pin of Arduino in place of ground simbol.

change the values of the components like resistor is a bit awkward, perhaps you should allow the change directly by clicking on them

About Arduino Ground:
Yes, these pins (Gnd, 5v, 3,3v, Vin) are not implemented in the test version, they will be working in the release.

About component values:
This will change in the release, allowing multipliers kΩ, MΩ... and there will be a value label to show/hide.
But maybe is good idea changing the value by double-clicking the component for example... i will try to implement it.

About crashing when loading new firmware:
I don't have that problem... could provide some more information?:
What version are you using? Linux/Windows, 32/64, PIC/NO_PIC...
What firmware did you uploaded?
Does it happen always? with any firmware crash at 2º upload?
Was the circuit power-on?...

Thank you very much for the testing and feed-back.

Any idea about the simulator is always wellcome, the release is planed for 2 weeks, but there is still time for some changes.

Ok, first of all, sorry for my bad english, this may cause a bit incomprehension on what i say :stuck_out_tongue:

For crashing:
My system is 32bit ubuntu 14.04, the crash occurs when i load Open another project Circuit which contains an arduino card, not when i load another firmware on the same Circuit.
This is not problem of firmware, it happens when i load one circuit wich contains arduino and after i load another circuit wich contains arduino even if there is nothing else and no firmware loaded.

If I haven't been quite understandable I can try to make a video of the crash.

P.s. thanks to you for your project, at now the opensource simulators scenario is fairly empty.
If I can give you some idea, I think it would be interesting if you add a simplified way to create new components (a sort of editor) if it is possible.