DipTrace and Documents Security

Bear in mind that DipTrace modifies the security settings of the Documents folder. In my opinion, the behaviour borders on that of a virus.

How does it do that? DipTrace installer just creates its folder in My Documents, also for installation process we use QInstall from Pantaray Research and its standard features without any security settings change.

Regards,
Stanislav Ruev
DipTrace Team

p.s. Meet us at DesignCon2013 - both #640

I ran the DipTrace install. The security settings for My Documents had been altered.

I removed DipTrace then rebooted. The security settings were not restored.

I restored the security settings and rebooted. The security settings were what they should be.

I reran the DipTrace install. The security settings for My Documents had been altered.

Seems you are right: I have tried to install DipTrace on fresh system. I did not get any alert, but the installer changed settings of My Documents (not all user folders though) and added all permissions for all users item (not network sharing though). This is actually installer and not DipTrace software itself as I didn't run it at all - I will check installer settings how to change that.

Added later:
Contacted Pantaray (developer of QInstall) regarding the issue.

Regards,
Stanislav Ruev
DipTrace Team

novarm44:
(not network sharing though)

Sometimes. Sometimes not. There are circumstances when anything that can access the network will have full access to My Documents. Which is why I said, "In my opinion, the behaviour borders on that of a virus."

The issue has been fixed and installation files updated on web-site!
Thank You for your help!

Added later:
We receive complains from users the software doesn't work from any account (admin,user, etc.) in Win x64 (actually option was enabled because of that),
so access for all users were returned, but for DipTrace folders only (not all My Documents)

Regards,
Stanislav Ruev
DipTrace Team

novarm44:
We receive complains from users the software doesn't work from any account (admin,user, etc.) in Win x64 (actually option was enabled because of that), ...

You have a serious problem with your software so...

so access for all users were returned, but for DipTrace folders only (not all My Documents)

...you work around that problem by crippling security.

Good to know.

The problem is not actually software, but something in Windows 64-bit security settings, installer and specific computer settings. On our PCs all versions work ok with any security settings under any account. The users write though:

Clean install of Diptrace 2.3.0.2 (64bit).

Standard user, attempting to start the launcher or any other Diptrace program throws an error:
"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have appropriate permissions to access the item." and then terminates.
Tried installing from the administrator login and also from the standard user login, entering the administrator password to allow the installation. Same results both times.

OS is Windows 7 Home, 64bit, 6GB RAM

or 2.3 does not save - DipTrace Forum

Actually that was the reason why we enabled that option in the past. Enabled incorrectly and it changed security for "My Documents" folder. Now it only creates new DipTrace folders with "all allowed" security settings. We will be happy to solve this, but don't know how at the moment.

Anyway we will keep current settings yet (I suppose allowing access to all PC users for just new DipTrace folders is not critical) and our programmers together with sys admin now trying different configurations - probably we will find why it doesn't work on some x64 systems and make something intermediate, then publish update after DesignCon. I'll keep you informed.