Arduino Nano R3.0 upload error

It may have a different kind of bootloader on it running at a different baud rate. I've seen that before from some clone manufactures. It may require selecting a different board type from the IDE.

You could also use your Uno as ArduinoISP and just burn a new bootloader on to it to avoid all the guessing.

I ordered from this guy (apocalypse evil), and I'm pretty sure it's genuine:

I'll give that a shot though and report back. Thanks for the reply.

Alright, I loaded the correct bootloader onto the board using my UNO successfully. The LED is now blinking, presumably because it was successful. I tried uploading a sketch using the correct COM and board setting, and now I get:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

I also had ordered a Nano last year from Amazon under the same product description, but from Computing Alternatives. However, what I received was a "Nano V3.0 (Arduino-Compatible)". Yes it says that on the board. But it is working fine for me.

From what you are saying it seems your FTDI chip is working and the ICSP interface is working, but the serial pins to the mega328P is possibly not working.

To confirm the FTDI serial loopback working:

1. On the Nano you jumpered the RST and GND pins.
  2. jumpered the Rx0 and Tx1 pins.
  3. Connected up the USB to the Nano and it showed up on COM4.
  4. Selected Serial Port COM4 in the IDE.
  5. Opened up the Serial Monitor.
    Whatever you typed in the entry window is echoed back in the window below. This should confirm the FTDI chip is working correctly. Also for this test you should be able to choose any baud rate and it should work. The standard bootloader for the Nano uses 57600 baud. So you may want to try that speed for testing the loopback.

Loopback: I tried the loopback again at 9600 and 57600 baud. Both returned the correct number of characters, but they were squares.

I also tried, with success, using the uno as a programmer for the nano. This makes me think that the issue may be a driver. The problem with this is that whenever I uninstall it in device manager, the next time it just auto-installs it again. I google'd that, but the top results didn't work. Are drivers a likely cause, or is it a hardware connection?

You should have gotten back the same characters, so it could be the Windows drivers or the FTDI chip on the Micro is bad.

What version of FTDI driver you have installed, go to Device Manager, properties and drivers tab.

I have.

Driver Provider: FTDI
Driver Date:     4/10/2012
Driver Version:  2.8.24.0
Driver Provider: FTDI
Driver Date: 1/18/2013
Driver Version: 2.8.28.0
Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibliity Publisher

I'm beginning to think the USB to serial is bad, considering it programs fine when bypassing the chip. I've checked and re-checked the drivers, they are the correct ones. I ordered a new one, and if I can't get this one to work I'll just return it. Any other thoughts?

Yes, I have seen others have similar problems with the FTDI v2.8.28.0 you need to remove that version and try installing v2.8.24.0 instead.

XP does not make it easy to completely get rid of a device... I finally figured out how, and installed version 2.8.24.0, with the same effect. Loopback spits out garbage and it won't upload.

The only other thing would be to try a different USB cable. Otherwise I would look into seeing if you can get a replacement or refund.

Try this:

http://arduino.alt245.com.ar/how-i-dealt-with-this-error/

That solved the problem in my case.

Thanks for the help guys, but I'm pretty sure it was a defective unit. Returned the old one and another is on the way.

Got the new unit today, apparently it is a Chinese knockoff (http://imall.iteadstudio.com/im120411003.html). Still getting the same error. As with the last one, when I do the loopback all I get are squares back. I've tried both versions of drivers, so I'm pretty sure those are right. Holding reset doesn't help. Any other ideas before I just return it and get one from another store?

I tried uploading from a third PC running Windows 7 and... it worked. I'm totally confused now. What could be causing the discrepancy? It's obviously PC specific. I'm running XP, could that have anything to do with it?

There may be some voltage tolerance issues with your PCs USB ports. You may want try it with a USB hub and see if that helps any.

I tried it using an external power supply, I assume it would be the same as a usb hub? It was a converted PC power supply, so it should be pretty clean power.

No, not exactly. With a USB hub the data lines are also regenerated.

Hello everyone, I realize this is an old post but I'd like to share my experience on this issue and its resolution.

So obviously I have the same problem. I purchased an Arduino Nano ATMega328 V3 from this seller on ebay.

Here is my setup:

Using Arduino IDE V.1.6.5, it didn't work. I plugged in the Nano, it found itself a driver, opened the IDE, set Tools > Board to "Arduino Nano" > Set Tools > Processor to "ATMega328" > Set Port of course. Didn't work.

So I tried it on another computer, Windows 7 with Arduino IDE V.1.6.5 as well and it worked. The only thing I can think of is that I have heavily modified my Arduino libraries with all kinds of updates. Perhaps that had something to do wth it.

So I uninstalled Arduin IDE from my original computer, the one that didn't work. Installed https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Donate and it worked. Out of pure curiosity, I also installed the original IDE V.1.6.5 and it also worked.

My conclusion is that one of the libraries I replaced was causing this problem.

I should also mention that the seller states that the CH340G model on this Nano replaces the FT232RL - not 100% sure what that means. I believe those parts are the modules that interface the board with the computer via USB. The ebay seller links this shady Russian site to install a driver. I didn't install the driver and still managed to get it working.

In some PCs(MAC, .... etc), there is an error in uploading code. so, In Arduino IDE, select Sketch tab -> include Library -> Manage Libraries -> in search type " ftdi" , then in search found install "USB Host shield library".