arduino still runs when my PC is switched off

i am curious how this is so , i put it down to the capacitors in the power supply having enough to keep the arduino running all night and never stops when the PC is off.just curious

knuckles:
i am curious how this is so , i put it down to the capacitors in the power supply having enough to keep the arduino running all night and never stops when the PC is off.just curious

I seem to recall someone saying that some PCs keep +5vdc available on their USB ports even when powered down to be able to use the USB ports as charging ports for cell phones?

Lefty

Many times these powered ports have a little lightning bolt above them to signify that they are powered when off.

you will find that most PC's keep +5 (and usually +3.3) volts going to parts of the system (for things like suspend to ram) and have not shut fully off since we switched over to ATX in the late 90's

that is unless you kill the AC Mains going into it

Seems like nothing shuts off anymore, it just goes into standby, which is pretty wasteful considering all the little currents in your house consuming power while not being used, often, if nothing else, to light an LED to show you that you are not using it :~

Osgeld:
you will find that most PC's keep +5 (and usually +3.3) volts going to parts of the system (for things like suspend to ram) and have not shut fully off since we switched over to ATX in the late 90's

that is unless you kill the AC Mains going into it

Seems like nothing shuts off anymore, it just goes into standby, which is pretty wasteful considering all the little currents in your house consuming power while not being used, often, if nothing else, to light an LED to show you that you are not using it :~

To say nothing of running standard leds at 20ma when 5-10ma will do just fine. :smiley:

Lefty