Newbie question on designing your own 'board' instead of using wires

I hate to disagree with you, but here's a quote from Jorge at Cadsoft (Eagle) .

"Wires should only be used for artistic purposes, the name LINE would be
more inline with it's function than WIRE but for historical reasons it's
still named WIRE.
Never use WIRE to define connections in the schematic and in most cases
you don't want to use WIRE to define connections on the board.
Jorge Garcia"

more info here:
http://www.element14.com/community/message/38435#38435/l/aw-im-confused-about-adding-nets

Well, that's freaking news to me. I've always used WIRE when drawing schematics all these years, never had any problem making PCBs from it... and I have thousands of boards/products out there in the field.

This is the icon I click in Eagle.

EDIT:
Okay, using the NET command saves me the step of placing a net junction as a separate task.
Other than that difference, if you look at properties, it's the same as using LINE then placing the junctions manually.

wire.jpg

So is using the button create PCB the correct next step or should I start from scratch?

I used this button to test and this surprised me: looking at my schematic you can see this:

But when I used the PCB button you can see that only these wires are not connected (on the left side, PUSHBUTTONSREAD):

The resistors are also missing here.

Thanks

Move that resistor back in the schematic and you'll see it's not actually connected. The wires won't move with it.

Again, NET is better.

I changed all wires to Net but that didn't solve this issue. I than replaced the resistor by another type and now they are linked when I move them. Thanks though for the idea!

So is the best next step using that button or should I start from scratch?

In your schematic, check that the Grid is set to 0.05", and see if it will make the connection.

Thanks CrossRoads, it wasn't correct. All connections look fine now. I found a good tutorial here: Build Your Own PCB with EAGLE III - Turning the EAGLE Schematic into a PCB - YouTube to turn it in a PCB

So wiring is completed and following the instructions I'm about ready to create Gerber files now. Is there any other check except checking the design rules and verifying everything manually 10 times? :slight_smile:

danb35:
In what way does it do this?

Gives full permission to "Everyone". Removing the software did not undo the security change. Took about 30 minutes to clean up the mess.

FWIW, I do two things before sending a design off to be manufactured. First, take a print of your schematic and go over every connection on the PCB. I use a highlighter to mark off each link. With netlists, this isn't such a big deal, but I find it gives me a chance to eyeball every connection one at a time for things like trace width, proximity, length, better routes, etc.

Second, I print out the board at 1:1, put it over some cardboard, and poke holes into every pin. Then, I put the actual components into the "board" and make sure everything fits without bumping into stuff. It also helps to ensure the holes are the right size for the component leads and so on.

Download the .cam and .dru files from iteadstudio.com
Run the error check on the board. Tools:DRC, load the iteadstudio .dru file, click check.
If that comes back with only "stopmask" errors, you are ready to make Gerbers. If not, fix the errors.

Gerbers: File:CAM processor, File:Open:Job, select the iteadstudio .cam file, click Process Job.
You can download a free gerber file viewer from viewplot.com.
When ready, zip the 13 created files (but Not the .sch & .brd files) and send them to iteadstudio per their instructions after you make payment and have an Order #. Include the Order # with your files. I pay by paypal with them.

BTW, there is a SCRIPT you can run that will snap objects to the grids in your schematic.... So if the components/net/wires aren't connected, it will be very obvious. (because they'll be left hanging).

Also running the script is useful if you drew the schematic on different grid settings and want to fix it all.

And you run that script by .... ?

CrossRoads:
And you run that script by .... ?

Switch to the Schematic Viewer,
click File ---> Run --->
change directories to "ulp"
scroll down and look for "snap-on-grid-sch.ulp"
click Open...
and enter a Grid setting (in mils)
press OK.

Easy to find when you know what to look for.
Isn't there a keystroke thing that works also? Like CTRL, left click twice or something?
Been a while since I had parts off grid.

Isn't there a keystroke thing that works also? Like CTRL, left click twice or something?

I'm on a Mac, but yeah there's the ALT/OPTION key if you want to snap on your "alternate" grid setting, and not your regular grid setting. But this works only on the current line/net/wire you're drawing.

The script will work on everything already laid out on your schematic.

There are other useful scripts like Board Statistics ("statistic-brd.ulp") which gives you X/Y dimensions of your board, how many pads, holdes, vias, smd top, bottom parts you've used, etc... useful when sending quote jobs to pc board manufacturers. There's also the BOM Bill of Materials Script, panelizing, etc.

Will have to play with some of those. I've only done one script, the one that exports all parts from a schematic into a library.

CrossRoads:
Will have to play with some of those. I've only done one script, the one that exports all parts from a schematic into a library.

That a ULP, rather than a script, but the same really.

By the way Eagle 6.4 came out yesterday..

I'm still on 6.2. Never even got my .cam & .dru files moved over for 6.3!

And now 6.4 is out! Downloaded it earlier today, haven't looked to see what's different.