Ethernet Shield with SD Card as Network Drive through Arduino USB

Is it possible to use the ethernet shield with its onboard SD card and the Arduino USB port to allow non-networked computers to access network files stored on the SD card through a USB connection to the Arduino?

Do I need to use the leonardo board? Do I need to reprogram the USB port function for the arduino to act like a usb storage device?

thanks,

to allow non-networked computers to access network files stored on the SD card

If the computer is not connected to a network, how is it going to access the Arduino via it's ethernet shield?

Or, is the ethernet part of the shield simply excess baggage?

What is a network file? A file is a file, whether it is located on the PC, on a share that the PC has access to, on an external device, like a USB memory stick, etc.

Hi Paul,

Sorry, I should have clarify my intention.

I am currently using usb stick to transfer file to and from a cnc controller. The cnc controller does not have network capabilities.

I am wondering if I can use the Arduino as a usb mass storage device using the Arduino usb port and the SD card slot on a ethernet shield.

The cnc controller will access the sd card through the Arduino usb port and the sd card is also network accessible through the ethernet shield.

Is this setup possible?

thanks,

John

I am currently using usb stick to transfer file to and from a cnc controller.

So, the CNC controller is a USB Host, and the USB stick is a USB slave. So is the Arduino.

I am wondering if I can use the Arduino as a usb mass storage

Which Arduino? The newer ones that do not use FTDI chips can be reprogrammed to appear as different types of USB devices to the PC. Presumably, they would then appear as the same kind of device to the CNC controller.

That is not a trivial change to make, though, and requires that you know how to make the Arduino respond to all requests from the USB chip for information. Learning the form of those requests and the expected form of the response is non-trivial.

Is this setup possible?

Possible? Yes. Likely? Easy? No.

PaulS:

Is this setup possible?

Possible? Yes. Likely? Easy? No.

You mean there's no library for that :slight_smile: Thanks Paul. I'll start digging through the various forums and tutorials.