Go Down

Topic: PLX-DAQ version 2 - now with 64 bit support! (and further new features) (Read 79196 times) previous topic - next topic

Linkfan5

Hi NetDevil,

First thing first thanks for the fast reply (and yeah my name is a reference to the TLoZ games).

I should really tidy up my PC because i had indeed still an old version of PLX DAQ on my PC and I started the old version even so i downloaded the newest version. I didn´t even notice that it would be named PLX-DAQ-v2.11 now.

Sry that i didn´t see the obvious answer to this problem.

Now i can see the button to open PLX DAQ UI.

I will use it for my master thesis and i´m sure it will help me a lot.

Thank you NetDevil for the answer (to my very dumb question)  and for the new updates for PLX-DAQ for 64 bit.

(and sry for my bad english)

Rocket777

Hi NetDevil,

Thank you for an amazing job.

I am a total NOOB with a problem.

I installed PLX-DAQ this morning, and got it running. While looking for help, I came across this forum, downloaded V2.11, and opened the spreadsheet. Enabled the macro's and opened the UI, selected the correct COM port (1) and Baud rate, clicked on "Connect" and opened "Direct Debug".  No data is visible.

When reverting back to the original PLX-DAQ, the data streams in.

Am I missing something obvious?

GijKieken

Rocket777

Hi NetDevil,

The code is written in C for the CCS compiler, but I do not think it to be relevant.
The code (the old functions) works on the older version of PLX-DAQ. But nothing apears, not even in the debug window. 

If I try to "connect" to COM1 while the terminal emulator has it open, an error message is displayed, this is correct behavior.  When the terminal emulator does not have control of COM1, PLX-DAQ opens the port without a error message. 

I include a sample of what a terminal emulator collects via the serial port.
Baud: 9600 8 n 1

CELL,GET,E2<CR>
CELL,GET,G2<CR>
CELL,GET,F2<CR>
CLEARSHEET<CR>
LABEL,Batt Voltage, AmpHour, WattHour<CR>
DATA,10.019,  0.000,    0.000,<CR>
DATA,10.018,  0.000,    0.000,<CR>

Thank you for your time and help.

GijKieken

Hi Rocket, maybe your missing the Line Feed <LF>
In the same way as in Println  <CR><LF>

Rocket777

Linkfan5

Hi NetDevil

i´m using PLX-DAQ v2.11 and have some problem with the performance.
When i´m running PLX-DAQ and run my Arduino code i see the data but after some lines (after 52 sometimes after 107) Excel stops working.

The port is right (because of the data in excel) and the baudrate is the lowest (9600). The code is simple enough but i will share it here:

Code: [Select]
/*
  ReadAnalogVoltage
  Reads an analog input on pin 0, converts it to voltage, and prints the result to the serial monitor.
  Graphical representation is available using serial plotter (Tools > Serial Plotter menu)
  Attach the center pin of a potentiometer to pin A0, and the outside pins to +5V and ground.

This example code is in the public domain.
*/

// the setup routine runs once when you press reset:
void setup() {
  // initialize serial communication at 9600 bits per second:
  Serial.begin(9600);
  //Serial.println("CLEARDATA"); // clears starting at row 2
    Serial.println("CLEARSHEET"); // clears starting at row 1

// define 5 columns named "Date", "Time", "Timer", "DATA" and "millis"
    Serial.println("LABEL,Timer,Voltage,miilis");

}

// the loop routine runs over and over again forever:
void loop() {
  // read the input on analog pin 0:
  int sensorValue = analogRead(A0);
  // Convert the analog reading (which goes from 0 - 1023) to a voltage (0 - 5V):
  float voltage = sensorValue * (5.0 / 1023.0);
  // simple print out of number and millis
    // output "DATA,DATE,TIME,TIMER,4711,13374,AUTOSCROLL_20"
    Serial.println( (String) "DATA,TIMER," + voltage + "," + millis() + ",AUTOSCROLL_20");
    delay(100);

}

As you can see i only changed the example code of ReadAnalogVoltage so i can read the sensor value of my temperature sensor.
Even with the delay at the end and uncheking the Checkboxes in the direct debug window excel still stops working after a while.

For my specs: I´m using a Asus Laptop with intel core i5 and 8 GB RAM. OS is Windows 10 Home 64-Bit. Excel Version is 2016 and also 64-Bit.
Thanks in advance.

GijKieken

Hi, Linkfan
I think your problem is not PLX-DAQ or Exel but is your Arduino code.
    Serial.println( (String) "DATA,TIMER," + voltage + "," + millis() + ",AUTOSCROLL_20");
By using String you run out of memory,,,

NetDevil

@Linkfan5: the code is pretty simple you're right. Excel might be crashing because there exists some problems in the communication between PLX DAQ, Excel and Ardunio when data is flooding in - which shouldn't be the case with your code.... however you could try to reduce the baud rate even more. Having a delay of 100 in your code looks like you can handle the data taking a few milliseconds more to be transferred ;)

To help with GijKieken's answer try rewriting the code as this:
Code: [Select]
Serial.print("DATA,TIMER,");
Serial.print(voltage);
Serial.print(",");
Serial.print(millis());
Serial.println(",AUTOSCROLL_20");

@GijKieken: I recommended using the String version since thus one can write inline - never had any problems of buffer sizes / memory with that, but it is sure worth a try.

Linkfan5

thanks that works like a charm
i can now measure multiple analog inputs, use higher baudrates and less delay (50 millis) without crashes  :)

drizzer

@NetDevil First of all I just wanna say thank you so much for your kindness in sharing your version of plx-daq my brother. I have used it in my project and it works smoothly. I just have a few questions and I am very much hoping that you can spare the time to answer me. I have a new project which is a wireless power monitoring system. It will monitor the real power,apparent power, power factor, supply voltage and Irms of an electrical system. Wireless in a way that I am using an 433MHz rf module to send my data from one arduino uno connected to the rf transmitter(stand alone) to another arduino uno connected to the rf receiver and connected to my laptop for the monitoring purposes.

I already have this project running with the following code below. Now I am not really that good at programming, I was able to have this project working by combining and understanding codes I found in the internet. Now I already have the data running on my laptop using the arduino serial monitor. Now I really really want to display these data using your PLX-DAQ version. I have already tried it using only one arduino connected directly to my laptop (without using the RF module) and I was able to display the readings in the excel using the PLX-DAQ. My problem now is how to convert my data from an array (which I use to send it from the transmitter to the receiver of the rf module) back to int or string so that I can incorporate it to the commands needed for the PLX-DAQ. I am really hoping you could help me a bit with this.

Thanks a lot in advance and Im sorry for the very long post. P.S. The codes are found below

drizzer

@NetDevil these are the codes for the transmitter and receiver. I believe that I need to tweak sumthing on the code for the receiver side.

drizzer

Here is a picture of my output using your PLX-DAQ when a connected my arduino directly to my laptop without using the RF module. I really want to make the output the same when transmission using the module is already involved in the process. I am hoping you could help me. Thanks in advance brother. Cheers!

drizzer

Here is a picture of my output using your PLX-DAQ when a connected my arduino directly to my laptop without using the RF module. I really want to make the output the same when transmission using the module is already involved in the process. I am hoping you could help me. Thanks in advance brother. Cheers!

Iwrk4dedpr

Wow glad I found this thread.  Had come across the same code module ( modComm ) and have been trying to get it to work.  Had been having some success but not having success, well I could read it but it seemed to read the entire buffer or something.

So ..... Thanks for this.  I'm hoping that I can study this and make use of it.  Awesome work!

Go Up