Why? avrdude: can't find programmer id "null"

Digger450

Those files are supposed to be there Pat and I have WinAVR installed on my machine without it causing any problems.

Did you find the programmers.txt file?

Have you tried deleting your entire Arduino folder and downloading a fresh copy?

Looks like WinAVR isn' t causing the problem, if those files are supposed to be there.
Yes, I found the programmers.txt, and the programmers that I have are included in that txt.
Yes, I've deleted everything arduino, that I could find, and reloaded fresh arduino's at least three times. I've done the deletion part once again and will try reloading once again, but it appears to be something in my computer that won't allow arduino to work. I've been able to use Bascom-AVR and WinAVR. I will probably need to use another computer.

bAster.89

As far as I can remeber, I modified something in C:/DOCUMENTS And SETTINGS/ÑÛÍ/Application Data/PREFERENCES.txt
before tha ARDUINO began working, however, I'm not shure. And I can't remember what exactly... (((

I found "preferences" files, two of them, but not from the exact same location: C:/DOCUMENTS And SETTINGS/ÑÛÍ/Application Data/PREFERENCES.txt . One was a library file that can't be modified, the other is one that can be modified, but the mods. that I tried made no difference in the outcome. I couldn't find the /Application Data/ folder, but I will try again.

I had to let the whole arduino thing go for a while, to get away from it, with intentions of trying again.

Thanks for the help
Patrick