Externally powering LEDs so Arduino doesn't fry

Grumpy_Mike:
Have you noticed he is more interested in peoples perceptions of him than the actual technical aspects of electronics.

This is a pretty ironic thing to say. from a guy that just wants to attack anyone that doesnt agree with him. My interest is mostly dispelling the crap that you write. Its not about perceptions, its about strategic systematic abuse of people that dont agree with you. You seem to think its ok to insult and berate people that disagree with you, because thats the only way you can win, and winning is paramount, since you are on a mission to save the LEDs.

fungus:

Hippynerd:
In your car analogy, do you drive half the speed limit, because its safer? it is safer isnt it, so why dont you drive half the speed limit. Are you unconcerned with safety? Are you a reckless person driving the maximum speed limit, or are you interested in safety, and drive half of the recommended maximum speed limit?

I always felt the safest speed to drive at is the same speed everybody else is doing. Driving half speed causes unexpected circumstances for other people.

OTOH you just broke the original analogy by taking it too far.

PS: You still didn't answer about the 'cloud' guy, he resembles you in many ways. Yes he's lighting up some LEDs, but his 'designs' are going to break people's parts. What's your opinion on that?

I dont know how the original analogy is broken, but it doesnt really matter, its not really relevant.

P.S.
I did answer your question about why im not going to respond to someone else project (no matter how popular it is), it is not relevant to the discussion here, and I am not the author of that document, if you have a problem with it, you should address them, not me. Do you understand now why I am not trying to discuss something that has no relevance, and has nothing to do with me.

I should change my signature again, I changed it just for you, using your quote, but I guess there is nothing I can say that will ever make any difference.

Grumpy_Mike:
@Hippynerd

As usual, you are just looking for ways to try to make me look bad.

I am trying to illustrate to you that you don't know enough to offer anyone any advice because you do not know what you are doing.

I did not say that caps will "GENERATE RF noise", but rather that I have read that if you dont have the right size cap, the result can be a noise issue,

The noise issue already exists without adding any capacitors. When you add capacitors you reduce this. If you do not use the right type then you will not reduce it enough.
Your comment

I dont like solving problems by making other problems,

Is totally nonsensical, even more so if you are saying you don't believe it will generate noise, so what other problems were you referring to that you think is caused by the wrong type of decoupling capacitor. You seem to understand even less that I thought, which is going some.

PoopyMike, This is something you dragged from a completely different thread, it has no relevance here. You are making all the wrong assumptions TO attempt to make an argument just to discredit me, its not accidental, so there is no need for me to clarify, its intentionally being abusive to me. To clarify, it is not relevant, it is a intentional mischaracterization, and it is harmful behaviour, and that your only intention is to shut up someone that doesnt agree with you.

I would like to take this moment to point out to you that you are happy to abuse people, if you think that they may be abusing some LEDs. Thats a pretty disturbing thought.

My "track record" as you put it, is only in your mind,

Odd that, so I can copy an paste from my mind - cool. Your track record is just that, a record and it is on the forum for all to see, I don't have to make anything up.

Im sure that I could copy and paste lots of examples of you being abusive to people if I wanted too waste time on unhappy stuff. From my personal anecdotal experiences, I remember a time when you called me names like 5 times in one paragraph. That isnt really relevant to this discussion though, but since you bring up peoples track record, Im compelled to point out your track record with me.

I have posted a few threads, and you have posted in them, you could have been very helpful, being that you are and electrical engineer, with lots of knowledge, and experience. Your posts have ranged from being detrimental(like angry name calling) to slightly helpful, but unclear or ambiguous. sometimes you just post "no" which usually just doesnt help.

All in all, you could be very helpful, but instead you chose to be the defender of LEDs by castigating anyone that dares use an LED without a resistor. You seem to feel like your mission is so important that you feel its ok to ignore evidence, and it also allows you to be abusive to people, since you know you are right, and they are wrong, they deserve what they get.

That being said, those posts dont have anything to do with this thread, and are not relevant, and they dont change anything in this thread.

I accept none of your projection, you get to keep that one.

No I don't expect you do, it is a trait of the self delusional.
I expect these suppliers were impressed when they posted those parts to
Hyppynerd Institute for Tech and Science - how many employees do you have in that institute then.
And why post a picture showing what a little boy you are?

Its Hippynurd, or Hippynerd, but not Hyppynerd. People make mistakes, its ok, but you should at least try, when it comes to personal names. I have noticed that you have had some spelling and grammar errors in your posts, I dont point them out, because that wont really help, and it may make you self conscious. I could use it to try to discredit you, being that to get a degree in engineering, you usually have to pass basic writing classes and all... but once again, that isnt helpful, its just curious.

As far as the shipping label is concerned that was just me having a little fun, the order form had a line for company, so I put something funny in, you know, kinda like your "solder is electric glue" tag line under your avatar... its just fun. If someone seriously thought that solder was glue, then maybe that would be worth questioning, but its understood that its just a joke (even if it isnt funny, its still just an attempt at humor.)

Its also important to note that this is just another desperate attempt to discredit me, by taking something that is not relevant, from a different thread, and mischaractorized as an attempt to castigate me. You seriously believe that my funny shipping label is a valid excuse to call me a little boy, or delusional? That is pretty pathetic I dont know how anyone can support that behaviour.

That post was over a week ago, are you digging through my post hoping to find some bit of dirt? LOL.

The group 'Radiohead' - the song 'Just', work it out.

Why dont the arduino tutorials have decoupling caps?

A very good question and one that I do not know the answer to. See I don't claim I know everything.

My point about the tutorials is that you should spend your time and effort getting that stuff straightened out since that is something that you have some expertise, it shouldnt be too difficult for you, and it should benefit many people, This IS what i call helping, and IS the sort of thing that you should be doing.

Because the tutorial doesnt have the caps, I built my circuits without them (I need to get back to that one soon...) I looked through the tutorial, and the datasheet and found nothing about capacitors. A guy on the internet has a webpage (made with a mac, LOL!), and he says I should use a 47uf cap with my TLC chip. Even though his page is made with a mac, it could be that the information is legitimate, but being made with a mac really reduces my confidence.
So, PoopyMike, who should I trust, some guy with a mac, or the official documentation?

P.S. I get to call you PoopyMike, because its the only way to learn you that name calling is bad behaviour. I would like to petition that forum user Grumpy_Mike should get his forum name changed to Poopy_Mike, until he learns to stick to the facts.