Go Down

Topic: ROM-Reader for Super Nintendo / Super Famicom Game Cartridges (Read 129744 times) previous topic - next topic

sanni

By the way, A bit of a random question. Has anyone attempted to work on trying to get Sega CD Backup RAM Carts can to be read from/written to with this? They were basically a SRAM memory card that plugs into the Genesis cart slot for the SegaCD.
As a general rule, everything that is not explicitly mentioned to work on the github page is not supported.

However since I did post the source code you can always add features yourself. In fact this is the main purpose of my cart reader project.

Now for the Sega ram cartridge you would first check the datasheet of the Sony cxk581000m sram ic found on its pcb. Then you use a multimeter to figure out to where all the pins connect to. Next you have to work out what all the additional 74 logic chips do, most likely they control WE/CE/OE or some address pins.
Then you look at how the sram of standard cartridges is read out in the current code and change it according to the schematic you have figured out earlier.

And hopefully when you have working code you'll post it here so everyone can use it.  :)

Cyber_Akuma

I know it isn't on the GitHub page, I was just asking if anyone here had ever looked into it even if they didn't get far.

I have looked up the pinout of it before in an attempt to try to replace the SRAM chip with a FRAM one, including schematics on how to assemble one from scratch, I can try to use that to determine how to read it with the cart-reader.

Although, what do you mean by additional 74 logic chips? The PCB for the carts has 6 ICs on it, 1 of which is the SRAM itself.

stinkpickle

Successfully built my cart reader and am super happy with it! (Other than messing up the solder pads for the cart reader pcb's micro usb. no n64 for me for now!)

That being said, I am having an issue reading Starfox (snes). The issue is that there is an error that occurs when checking the checksum since it comes back differently than the initial read. Can anyone give me a hand on this issue?

drkow

Can we flash the INL SNES repros with this hardware?

sanni

That being said, I am having an issue reading Starfox (snes). The issue is that there is an error that occurs when checking the checksum since it comes back differently than the initial read. Can anyone give me a hand on this issue?
Try it with the switches set like this:

Can we flash the INL SNES repros with this hardware?
In theory yes if someone would write the needed code changes for it. The INL SNES repros seem to use the 3.3V Spansion S29GL flashroms which my cart reader can flash. They seem to use a 74lvc16245 as a level shifter so they should be safe to use with a real SNES too unlike the typical chinese SNES repro.
I could not find a schematic for the INL repros so someone would need to figure that out first to see how the CE/OE/WE lines of the flashrom are routed.

sanni

Have you checked if the dump itself is ok for example by comparing it to a known good dump in a hex editor?
I only have the japanese Starfox and it does dump and calculate the checksum correctly.

drkow

In theory yes if someone would write the needed code changes for it. The INL SNES repros seem to use the 3.3V Spansion S29GL flashroms which my cart reader can flash. They seem to use a 74lvc16245 as a level shifter so they should be safe to use with a real SNES too unlike the typical chinese SNES repro.
I could not find a schematic for the INL repros so someone would need to figure that out first to see how the CE/OE/WE lines of the flashrom are routed.
Do you know if anyone has tried to reflash the chinese SNES repros? Was thinking of ordering some and giving it a try.

sanni

As far as I know those use the same flashrom chips as the gba and n64 repros so you just have to copy and paste some of the already available code together to reflash them.

sanni

Here are some fresh pictures of my most recent build:

I'm going to make two more just to be sure the current design is not only reliable but also works consistently across different builds.

Here is one more picture from "under the hood":

As for the Arduino sketch lately I have been concentrating on fixing bugs so no new features since my last status update.
I have however worked on the wiki: https://github.com/sanni/cartreader/wiki/Cart-Reader-AIO

theodor613

I see the newly updated flash adapter schematic. Does this change the PCB as well? If so, would the old adapter still work with the new and old reader?

sanni

The old adapter has an 8bit(=byte mode) socket at the front for flashroms like 29F032 and a 16bit(=word mode) socket at the back for 29L3211  and 29F1610. For the back slot you would use the 16bit flashrom programmer menu.

The new flash adapter has the same 8bit socket for flashroms like 29F032 but the 16bit slot at the back got replaced with a "16bit flashrom wired as 8bit" slot. Therefore the schematic/pcb has changed.
So with the new adapter you now use the 8bit flash menu for the slot at the back too.
Additionally it now has two switches to add support for the 29LV160, which has its WE pin on the opposite side.

The old flash adapter will still work with newer cart reader revisions, simply select the 16bit menu option for the slot at the back.

theodor613

I need to be able to program both 29LV160 and 29F1610. I got extra boards so maybe a trace cut and adding some switches, I could emulate the newer flasher adapter? at least just to get the 29LV160 programming or does this need to be done in 8bit as well?

Also will the new adapter work with the old cart reader?

sanni

Well you could make it work.
First you would need to rewire the WE pin to the opposite site. Just have a look at the 29LV160's pinout in its datasheet and then you would have to add a 16bit flashwrite function for the 29LV640 series of flashroms to the code since currently there is only the 8bit flashwrite function in there.

theodor613

I'll just wait for the new flash adapter to arrive. Also waiting for the standalone to be released when ready.

Go Up