avrdude: programmer is not responding (Pro Mini)

Hi,

I have the "famous" problem with avrdude, on the Pro Mini, I was searching in the forum and trough internet, and I haven't found any solution, the thing is that I have a particularity, this only happens with 5V boards, 3.3V boards work perfect.

I tried with 3 boards of 5V, and none of them works.
I tried with 2 different programmers without results too.
Obviously when I change from 3.3V boards to 5V boards, I change the processor on the IDE, and change the programmer's jumper.

Any clues for what can be happening?

I write down the error message, just in case.

Greetings.

Arduino:1.6.12 (Windows 10), Tarjeta:"Arduino Pro or Pro Mini, ATmega328 (5V, 16 MHz)"

El Sketch usa 928 bytes (3%) del espacio de almacenamiento de programa. El máximo es 30.720 bytes.
Las variables Globales usan 9 bytes (0%) de la memoria dinámica, dejando 2.039 bytes para las variables locales. El máximo es 2.048 bytes.
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf4
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf4
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf4
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf4
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf4
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf4
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf4
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf4
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf4
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf4
Problema subiendo a la placa. Visita http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload para sugerencias.

Este reporte podría tener más información con
"Mostrar salida detallada durante la compilación"
opción habilitada en Archivo -> Preferencias.

It's either the module or the cable.

Try a different cable.

Hi ieee488,

thanks for your answer, but I already have tried that too.

Thanks.

Turn on "verbose upload logging" in preferences and report the output.

I tried with 2 different programmers without results too.

"programmers", or "USB/Serial converters"?
What one(s) are you using?

Hi westfw,

I used programmers, one is the FTD1232, and the other one I don't know right know, because a friend lent me it, and I returned it to him this weekend.

And here is the output that you asked:

Arduino:1.8.5 (Windows 10), Tarjeta:"Arduino Pro or Pro Mini, ATmega328P (5V, 16 MHz)"

El Sketch usa 928 bytes (3%) del espacio de almacenamiento de programa. El máximo es 30720 bytes.
Las variables Globales usan 9 bytes (0%) de la memoria dinámica, dejando 2039 bytes para las variables locales. El máximo es 2048 bytes.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM3 -b39600 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_325512/Blink.ino.hex:i

avrdude: Version 6.3, compiled on Jan 17 2017 at 12:00:53
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : COM3
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 39600
avrdude: serial_baud_lookup(): Using non-standard baud rate: 39600avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xed
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xed
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xed
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xed
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xed
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xed
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xed
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xed
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xed
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xed

avrdude done. Thank you.

Problema subiendo a la placa. Visita http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload para sugerencias.

Thank you!!!

Yup! I am getting the same thing with mine too. Followed the instructions to the tee from the Arduino website. Tried the two Arduino version and the breadboard version.

It is acting like the sketch on the programmer Arduino is not executing. No heartbeat, no pulses on SPI looking at pins with scope, no reset to the target 328.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM3 -b39600 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_325512/Blink.ino.hex:i

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Overriding Baud Rate : 57600
avrdude: serial_baud_lookup(): Using non-standard baud rate: 39600avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding"

Why are you running this at baud rate: 39600? -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM3 -b39600?

If you have a boot loaded Pro Mini, it should be 57600 Baud Rate.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM3 [color=red]-b39600[/color] -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_325512/Blink.ino.hex:i 

:
        Using Port                    : COM3
        Using Programmer              : arduino
        Overriding Baud Rate          : 57600
avrdude: serial_baud_lookup(): Using non-standard baud rate: 39600avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

OK; "39600" is a very weird (and wrong) number to be seeing in the avrdude command. It SHOULD be 57600.
Your Arduino install could be broken, or it could be a bug the version you are using (sometime around then, they added the "cpu" sub-menu, and perhaps there's a code path that leaves the bitrate uninitialized or something.
Here are a couple of suggestions:

• Best idea: upgrade to the latest IDE version (1.8.5) and see if that works better.
  • (immediate results #1) Try switching the "Tools/Procesor" menu to a different value, and then back again.
  • (immediate results #2) Try using one of the other "board" types that should be "mostly compatible" with the pro-mini. Nano, Duemilanove w m328, or Lilypad should probably work. (although, they could have the same bug.)
  • (advanced debugging?) Check the "boards.txt" file that your IDE uses, and see if it contains the 39600 number.

(Check the output to see if the speed has changed. (Well, I guess if one of these works, you don't need to do that!))

It is acting like the sketch on the programmer Arduino is not executing. No heartbeat, no pulses on SPI looking at pins with scope, no reset to the target 328

That would be a different problem. Maybe.
Dakmor is simply trying to upload to a a Pro-mini board using a USB/Serial port; heartbeat and SPI aren't involved.
(which is what I was trying to clarify in reply #3.)

If you're trying to do "upload using programmer" or "burn bootloader" using an actual "device programmer", the number of things that can go wrong is larger. But the first debugging steps are similar: turn on and post the loggin output with "verbose" configured!

kprims:
Why are you running this at baud rate: 39600? -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM3 -b39600?

If you have a boot loaded Pro Mini, it should be 57600 Baud Rate.

I tried this because in other forum people told me to try this, but with initially it was on 57600, and not working (see next post).

Thanks for your answers!!!

westfw:
OK; "39600" is a very weird (and wrong) number to be seeing in the avrdude command. It SHOULD be 57600.
Your Arduino install could be broken, or it could be a bug the version you are using (sometime around then, they added the "cpu" sub-menu, and perhaps there's a code path that leaves the bitrate uninitialized or something.

Initially it didn't works with 57600, and in other forum people told me to try with 39600.

westfw:
Here are a couple of suggestions:

• Best idea: upgrade to the latest IDE version (1.8.5) and see if that works better.

I'm already in that version.

westfw:

• (immediate results #1) Try switching the "Tools/Procesor" menu to a different value, and then back again.

Have tried that too, and tried now again, no results...

westfw:

• (immediate results #2) Try using one of the other "board" types that should be "mostly compatible" with the pro-mini. Nano, Duemilanove w m328, or Lilypad should probably work. (although, they could have the same bug.)

Tried it, no results...

westfw:

• (advanced debugging?) Check the "boards.txt" file that your IDE uses, and see if it contains the 39600 number.

(Check the output to see if the speed has changed. (Well, I guess if one of these works, you don't need to do that!))

When they told me to change the speed, I changed it there. I changed it back to 57600.

Here the error with 57600:

Arduino:1.8.5 (Windows 10), Tarjeta:"Arduino Pro or Pro Mini, ATmega328P (5V, 16 MHz)"

Archiving built core (caching) in: C:\Users\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_786270\core\core_arduino_avr_pro_cpu_16MHzatmega328_0c812875ac70eb4a9b385d8fb077f54c.a
El Sketch usa 928 bytes (3%) del espacio de almacenamiento de programa. El máximo es 30720 bytes.
Las variables Globales usan 9 bytes (0%) de la memoria dinámica, dejando 2039 bytes para las variables locales. El máximo es 2048 bytes.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM3 -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_333720/Blink.ino.hex:i

Overriding Baud Rate : 57600
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x64
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x64
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x64
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x64
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x64
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x64
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x64
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x64
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x64
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x64

avrdude done. Thank you.

Thank you all for your answers.

Have you tried calling it an uno?

I have a bunch of Pro Minis. Looking them over this morning and I see that some have the pins switched. DTR on one side and then the other. Make sure the pin layout for the FTDI232 is the same on each Pro Mini you connect. Use the Reset button just as the sketch is uploaded. Double check the TX0 and RX0. Run the loopback test on the FTDI.

westfw:
Have you tried calling it an uno?

Hi,

yes, I tried that too.

kprims:
I have a bunch of Pro Minis. Looking them over this morning and I see that some have the pins switched. DTR on one side and then the other. Make sure the pin layout for the FTDI232 is the same on each Pro Mini you connect. Use the Reset button just as the sketch is uploaded. Double check the TX0 and RX0. Run the loopback test on the FTDI.

Thanks for your answers!!

I took a look to the pins as you told me, and the pro minis of 3.3V and 5V that I have, have the same pinout (at least, is what is write on the boards, internally I didn't tried yet).

When I connect the FTD1232 to the pro minis, I put:
Vcc -> Vcc
GND -> GND
DTR -> DTR
RX -> TX0
TX -> RX1

Tried the reset while uploading (pressing at the beggining, at the end and in the middle of the upload, and holding it), and before and after of the upload.

Just did the loopback test on the FTD1232, and works fine (Connected to the usb PC trough cable, connected its RX and TX together, and used Putty).

Thanks again.

Do your pro-minis have an LED on pin13 ? (On the official board, this seems to usually be near the reset switch. Other versions I see with two LEDs, it'd be the one that ISN'T the power-on LED)
Does it flash a few times, quickly, when you hit the reset button? If not, it implies that there is no bootloader present.
If so, does it do the same flashing when you hit the upload button in the IDE? If not, it implies that there is something wrong with the auto-reset circuitry.

westfw:
Do your pro-minis have an LED on pin13 ? (On the official board, this seems to usually be near the reset switch. Other versions I see with two LEDs, it'd be the one that ISN'T the power-on LED)
Does it flash a few times, quickly, when you hit the reset button? If not, it implies that there is no bootloader present.
If so, does it do the same flashing when you hit the upload button in the IDE? If not, it implies that there is something wrong with the auto-reset circuitry.

Hi!!

They have 2 leds, the power on one and other near pins 8-9, and near the reset switch (i supouse yo ar talking a bout this one).

Is flashing all the time (every 1 second aprox.), when I press the reset button it stops until I release the button, and in that moment it starts to flash like nothing happens.

When I press the upload button, it didn't get perturbed.

About the bootloader, I burned it again, and it seems that it burned without problem, I attached here the output.

Thanks for your help!!!

Bootloader burn Output.txt (9.5 KB)

Did you try it with the FTDI after the new bootload?

Have you reversed the way you have connected the TX0 RX0?

I usually bootload my 5V 16MHz Pro Minis (Clones) with the Uno Bootloader, which does flash three times when reset. You then have to remember to select Uno as the board which can be a pain. :slight_smile:

This may be a waste of your time, but what about loading some kind of serial sketch using your ISP programmer and then checking if your FTDI is hooked up right to receive what the pro-mini is sending. Keep in mind that you will have to reload the bootloader in order to load sketches using the FTDI after this.

kprims:
Did you try it with the FTDI after the new bootload?

Yes, still not working.

kprims:
Have you reversed the way you have connected the TX0 RX0?

Yes, nothing happens.

kprims:
I usually bootload my 5V 16MHz Pro Minis (Clones) with the Uno Bootloader, which does flash three times when reset. You then have to remember to select Uno as the board which can be a pain. :slight_smile:

Tried too, with no results, still flashing like always.

kprims:
This may be a waste of your time, but what about loading some kind of serial sketch using your ISP programmer and then checking if your FTDI is hooked up right to receive what the pro-mini is sending. Keep in mind that you will have to reload the bootloader in order to load sketches using the FTDI after this.

I don't understand this, you mean that I load a serial sketch to the Pro Mini or to the FTD1232?

For the record, I'm using as ISP an Arduino Uno to burn the bootloader, and tried to load sketches too, but the results are still the same.

When I burn a bootloader I see that both boards works (Rx and Tx in the Uno and the led in the Pro Mini flashing quickly, and when it finished the "L" led of the Uno and the led of the Pro Mini flashing synchronised).

Thanks very much.