Arduino Theremin/Synth

Hi All,
I made a combination Theremin/Synthesizer for my sister, who's a musician, and I'm pretty happy with the way it came out. It has the following features:

• Four octaves of continuous pitch variation by moving your hand nearer or farther from an ultrasound sensor
  • Digital volume control
  • Continuous waveform variation–can generate a pure sine tone like a classic theremin, or one with overtones, which sounds like an 80's synth organ.
  • Spectral glide–similar to a Wah pedal or the instrument used in Peter Frampton's 'Do You Feel Like I Do'
  • Decay/Sustain–envelope shaping to play notes
  • Distortion–sounds like the guitar effect.
  • Blue case lighting with 'heartbeat' effect

It's powered by a 5V/16Mhz Arduino Pro 328. Pitch control is done with ultrasound, the other effects by controls which move an LED nearer or farther to a photoresistor.

I've done a pretty extensive write-up of the hardware and software on my blog, might be helpful for someone who's working on a similar project.

http://blog.wingedvictorydesign.com/2009/06/20/arduino-thereminsynth-final-walkthrough/

:slight_smile:
Max

Man, that looks awesome! I should build something as a gift too, so I am forced to build a nice housing as you did...
And the features sound great as well!

Very nice work on the housing!

Bookmarked your eclectic blob.
Keep up the good work!