I2C interface with SP03

Anyone had any luck getting the SP03 working on I2C? Looking at other code samples and the documentation, this is what I have to say custom text:

Wire.beginTransmission(0x62);  //Address
  Wire.send(0x00);                  // Command Register
  Wire.send(0x00);                  // NULL
  Wire.send(0x00);                  // Volume (Max)
  Wire.send(0x05);                  // Speed
  Wire.send(0x03);                  // Pitch
  Wire.send("This is a test");      // Text to say
  Wire.send(0x00);                  // NULL
  Wire.endTransmission();           // ***** Hangs here!!! *****
  Wire.beginTransmission(0x62);
  Wire.send(0x00);                  // Command Register
  Wire.send(0x40);                  // Command to say stored buffer text
  Wire.endTransmission();

And this is what I have to say a pre-stored phrase:

Wire.beginTransmission(0x62);
  Wire.send(0x00);
  Wire.send(0x02);
  Wire.endTransmission();

I have found that this all hangs on endTransmission no matter what I do.
If anyone has any suggestion/comment/whatever, lets have it.

What is SPO3?

Are you sure the address is 0x62 not 0xC4 ?

http://www.robotstorehk.com/SP03Tech.pdf

Did you include the required I2C pull-up resistors in your circuit?

Are these available in the US? Looks like a neat board.

@Crossroads: Yes, it is or was available in the US. I usually buy parts like this from http://www.acroname.com The SP03 is a very cool board and it does a good job. The sad thing is that it is apparently obsolete now... wonder what the new version is.http://www.robot-electronics.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.robot-electronics.co.uk%2F&WD=sp03&PN=Obsolete_products.html%23a30#a30

@johnwasser: Yup. I am using 0x62 and have played with that extensively. The code I provide is the actual code I use.

Mr_Fixit:
@johnwasser: The code I provide is the actual code I use.

I asked about the pull-up resistors. That's hardware not code.

@johnwasser Yup. I have pullups on the bus. I also tried it directly off the Arduino (Just for S&G) and also tried it chained off my MD25 (Which has pull ups also). Part of my trouble shooting process, I tried different cables (Thinking I may have a short or a break) and also tried different devices (SRF08 CMPS09 both work perfectly).

Run this buss scanner and see if it sees the module. I2CScanner: Arduino as I2C bus scanner – todbot blog

@wayneft Cool tool. I will run it tonight and see what it comes up with.

@wayneft I dont know what the malfunction here is, but I just ran through a number of tests with two SRF08's a CMPS09, and an MD25 all connected together. They all performed their functions perfectly. The I2C scanner apparently does not work with an Uno32 for some reason. So, none of my devices showed up at all.

Anyway, I messed around with the SP03 some more, and found that I could not even get the version number from it. It is simply non-responsive on I2c at all! So... just gonna have to (cringe) do it on Serial... =(

Mr_Fixit:
The I2C scanner apparently does not work with an Uno32 for some reason. So, none of my devices showed up at all.

This is the first you've mentioned UNO32, the PIC-based "Arduino compatible" board. Perhaps you should try the UNO32 community for support. It seems likely that the PIC processor and associated software is not fully compatible with Arduino code.

@johnwasser The purpose of this initial post was to see if anyone had experience with this component and could hopefully share some code to get it working. I have no intent to diagnose if/how/why the I2C scanner does not work because that is not within scope of this thread, and it is not even in scope of this board since it is most likely an issue Chipkit has to address and resolve.

End result is that apparently this component (SP03) is having an I2C issue. I dont think the issue is with the Uno32 since all my other boards work flawlessly. Hence, I am simply going to use Serial on this unless there is an unlikely solution from Chipkit.