Object Detector- Camer & Arduino to give sound

I need some help with a upcoming project I want to do.

What I basically want to do is create a Object Detector using arduino. I want a camera to recognize a object such as a car or human and a speaker would say it. So the camera detects a car and the speaker says "car".

What hardware components might I need to use ?

I have in mind to use;

-Xbee modules
-Arduino Board
-Wave Shield(Adafruit Industries)
-TSL1401 Linescan Imaging Sensor Daughterboard(Parallax)
-CMOS Camera Module(SparkFun)

Thank You.

You haven't said what you're going to use for the object recognition.
Processing?

If you're going to rely on the Arduino, the best you can probably expect it to say is "object"

Well Sir I am planning to use an arduino along with a wave shield.

How much programming experience do you have?

Not much. I am relatively new to Arduino. But I have done a course in Programming (Pascal). I do know Basic quite well but Processing may be a challenge.

And image processing experience?

None at all. :frowning:

I think this program; roborealm can assist with image processing.

And you've got experience using RoboRealm?
Where is RoboRealm running, and how does it get images?

If it sounds like I'm being negative, I'm just trying to get you to think about the possible role the Arduino might have in this.

Assume you've decided on RoboRealm to do the image capture and image processing.
That also assumes you've got a platform capable of generating or replaying sounds.

Remind me, what is the Arduino doing in all of this?

I don't have much experience working with roborealm.

This is a flow chart of what i am hoping to do;

Camera Detects Object(Camera hooked up to Arduino)------->Xbee transmits data to a PC-------->Computer Recognizes Object-------> Transmits data to Arduino--------->Speakers Says what Object is.

Its just a draft for now. Just to give an idea as to what there is to accomplish.

What exactly i plan to do is create a Object Detector for a person whos blind. Anyone with any help please feel free to post?
Can it be done?
Is Arduino a good microcontroller for the project?

Thanks

No, the Arduino is a completely rubbish platform for this application.
You'd be better off with a smartphone, which has far more memory and processing power.

Groove any recommendations. I would prefer to use a Arduino 2560 but since you stated, is there any other good Microcontroller you recommend?

I don't recommend any 8 bit microcontroller for any part of your project.
They simply don't have the speed or memory for your application.
Maybe an Arm-based machine.
Like a smartphone.

I have a BlackBerry but I believe an Android would be better. Agreed?

Hi,
I have never used them, but MBED is an arm based microcontroller, and it runs c/c++. If I remember rightly, it runs on an 100MHz clock, compared to 16MHz for arduino (and 4MHz for PIC (he he he!)). I have no idea how to send images with it, but it should be more capable for the job than arduino. (And also harder, plus it is not the MEGA, and you said you wanted to use that).

Onions.

An iPad2 has camera, audio and an Arm processor.

I did something a bit like this with a laptop/webcam, using Processing to do the object recognition and triggering the arduino(over xbee as it happens). I think your writeup included a PC anyways so this might be a practical way to go.

My "object recognition" was very simple but Processing is very powerful and there's a whole community out there.

bill2009 I would love to know how you did that.