Beginner's Robotic Arm

Because the serial monitor sends all the characters you type in only when you hit the send key, but hyperterm sends them as you press the individual keys.

(What is wrong with your question-mark key? Is it sticking down?)

why is the array 6???

Because you will need to store four bytes and a null terminator in the array for a total of 5 spaces required (as I understand it). I made the array capable of holding six places just to ensure sufficient array space while tinkering with the code. You should be able to use 5 instead of 6 as you should not have to send more than four characters for use with the servo library.

zoomkat:

why is the array 6???

Because you will need to store four bytes and a null terminator in the array for a total of 5 spaces required (as I understand it). I made the array capable of holding six places just to ensure sufficient array space while tinkering with the code. You should be able to use 5 instead of 6 as you should not have to send more than four characters for use with the servo library.

ohh. now i get it, i didnt get that it was like that. for every substring with 4 integers you allocated 6 spaces, but what is received is only 5 this was a safe precaution to the code. thanks! i'll put it back to 6 and not 9. thanks zoomkat!

hi zoomkat,

i was able to control and see the results from the serial monitor. but when i connect the UART of the chip to the controller, it simply shows weird outputs. why is that?

but when i connect the UART of the chip to the controller,

Because the controller is a RS232 device with different levels and an inversion?

i get it now...what im receiving are the extended ascii codes, why is this?

what im receiving are the extended ascii codes, why is this?

I don't follow you there.
What is "the controller"?
Is it a true RS232 device?
If so, how are you connecting it to the Arduino?

im using servo angles to determin its position and not microseconds. as i send data from my pic16F628A connected from txport rb3 to arduino rx digital pin 0, and turning the serial monitor i receive unknown characters/symbols (i browsed through the ascii table and saw the decimal values for the extended ascii).

Are you sure you haven't simply got a line inversion?

im not exactly sure. how would i remove line inversion? i tapped(very quick) the tx line to the ground and saw numbers upon it, then the symbols appear again.

this is what im receiving in my rx port.. i connected a npn transistor to the tx port of my pic.
why is it that im receiving this?

I have no idea why you are receiving that, but it looks like either a speed mismatch, or a line inversion.
You could write a simple sketch to find out what the idle state of the line is.
Or look at it with an oscilloscope.

AWOL:
I have no idea why you are receiving that, but it looks like either a speed mismatch, or a line inversion.
You could write a simple sketch to find out what the idle state of the line is.
Or look at it with an oscilloscope.

what kind of sketch would be that??? i tried using just a simple Serial.read(); Serial.println(); sketch, but the same happend...

what kind of sketch would be that

One that does a simple "digitalRead" on the appropriate input pin, and prints the result repeatedly.

like a serial to LED sketch? i dont get it...

thanks for the help AWOL!

hello once again!

i managed to run everything up..but i have one problem, my DC Motor keeps on moving even if its assigned case value isnt called. why is this so???

thanks!

my DC Motor keeps on moving even if its assigned case value isnt called.

I don't know - where is your code?

i found the problem...i placed the break points wrong..hehehehe :grin: :grin:

thanks again AWOL!