FTDI ft232rl DIY

Dear friend,

Recently I bought one ft232rl and try to make my own arduino to comminicate through serial port.

I connected everything just that I didntconnect a 500mA inductor from VCC of USB to VCC of ft232rl.

Arduino IDE recognised the serial port. However, when I try to upload code, it was not sucessful.

Below is the error message shown.

Hope anyone can help.

Thanks

Untitled.png

Recently I bought one ft232rl and try to make my own arduino to comminicate through serial port.

Does it have a DTR pin and if so did you wire it to the reset pin on your arduino board?

If so, then a another possible problem area is getting rec tx pins backwards.

Lefty

Oh..OK..I will connect the DTR pin..will try.. thanks

retrolefty:

Does it have a DTR pin and if so did you wire it to the reset pin on your arduino board?

Lefty

Tried it.. still the same. Rx to Rx TX to Tx right ?

Still the same error..Tried it either way already ><

Vincent19:

retrolefty:

Lefty

Tried it.. still the same. Rx to Rx TX to Tx right ?

Not by FT232RL standard nomenclature, I believe you need to have Rx to Tx and Tx to Rx, and leave the DTR connected for the arduino IDE auto-reset to function correctly.

Still the same error..Tried it either way already ><

You could always try and run the loop back test (it's a sticky post around here somewhere) where you loop the tx and rx together on the FT with no connections to the AVR chip.

Also are you sure you are selecting the proper board type, as the bootloader in your chip is what determine which board selection you use, as that determines the baud rate the IDE uses to talk to the bootloader on the chip.

Tried either way. It does not wwork >< Is it important to have a 500mA inductor at the VCC?

Connect then like this:

FTDI Arduino
Breakout (5V)

GND <--> GND
CTS <--> (not connected)
5V <--> 5V (if you want the breakout to power the arduino)
TXO <--> RX (pin 0)
RXO <--> TX (pin 1)
DTR <--> RESET ( through a 100nF cap)

I'm currently going through the exact same thing at the moment (except using a PL2303 instead of a FT232). I home again so I'll be trying a few different things now. Baud rate and swapping the Rx and Tx lines are first on the list.

I'll post if I get it working. So far I do know to use the Arduino Duemilanove w/ ATmega328 board type.

update: no go on the above ideas.

WinstonP:
I'm currently going through the exact same thing at the moment (except using a PL2303 instead of a FT232). I home again so I'll be trying a few different things now. Baud rate and swapping the Rx and Tx lines are first on the list.

I'll post if I get it working. So far I do know to use the Arduino Duemilanove w/ ATmega328 board type.

update: no go on the above ideas.

The correct baud rate is predetermined by the actual bootloader code installed into the AVR chip and the value shown for baud rate in the board selected in the boards.txt core file. The FTDI chip/module has no hardware settings that setup baudrate, that's all done in USB software.

Lefty

well, in that case I guess it's back to the grindstone and see if I can bug Makershed enough to see if anyone can give a hand.

So what should I do now?

same as me, take a rest and work on something else for a while, then come back to it later and scour the internet for an answer or hope someone else has run into this and can hand us a clue.

Is this the connection to MCU ?

no, not for our beloved ATMega. but I'm following the guide from this post right not.... http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoToBreadboard
I'm doing the one at the VERY bottom as it's using the bare; absolute (could use a bottle right now) minimum of extra parts.

ps if you try this one, watch that very bottom power rail. it's upside down. just make sure you connect positive to positive and negative to negative.

WELL, CRAP! that didn't work.
I'm just gonna play Minecraft for a while.