Where to find a guide to build a simple robot?

Hi all,
I am new to Arduino (just one month of experience).
I have built some simple circuits, and I have played with the Ping))) Sensor.
Now I'd like to build a very simple robot, using 4 motors.
Where can I find some guide on this topic?
I have read the posts on thsi forum, but I was unable to assembly a step-by-step guide.
Do you have some hints?
Thank you.

Google is always a good place to start. You can download the bot assembly instructions from sites like below to get some ideas. Lots of robotic sites and forums on the net with info.

daitangio:
Hi all,
I am new to Arduino (just one month of experience).
I have built some simple circuits, and I have played with the Ping))) Sensor.
Now I'd like to build a very simple robot, using 4 motors.
I have read the posts on thsi forum, but I was unable to assembly a step-by-step guide.
Do you have some hints?
Thank you.

Can you afford to purchase some books? If so, I highly reccommend that you purchase the following:

These are the first three editions of this book; I own all three, and I can tell you that they differ enough that only purchasing the last edition will do you a diservice in your robotics education; with that said, though, you should be aware that the first edition includes information that can be considered "obsolete" (such as interfacing a robot via a parallel port or ISA slot on a PC, for instance), but there is a lot of other information that is still very valuable, that is only skimmed over in later editions.

Finally - in researching the above - I found that there is a fourth edition (which I will need to purchase - sigh):

I suspect that this edition likely chops some more of the older stuff, while adding on some newer stuff; interestingly, based on the details of the above Amazon link, it has information on using the Arduino for robotics!

:slight_smile:

50 $ robot tutorial,
simplest platform,
good to start with

Jak24

And just a quick search of "arduino robot" on instructables.

http://www.instructables.com/pages/search/search.jsp?cx=partner-pub-1783560022203827%3Anpr2q7v5m6t&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=arduino+robot

If you don't already have it bookmarked, then bookmark instructables.com. Make a free account there so you can view all the steps on one page.

You should take a look at Let's Make Robots! Lots of robots with Arduino, even robots with 4 motors as you want to do. I am in the process to make a step by step tutorial on how to build the LMR Start Here robot with an Arduino compatible board (designed by me) instead of the Picaxe board. I also use Arduino to build robots, see my blog here or my pages on LMR.

SERVO Robotics Magazine had a recent series by Gordon McComb called ARDBOT.

He has part of the article here: http://www.robotshop.com/content/PDF/making-robots-with-arduino.pdf

A chassis kit is here: http://www.budgetrobotics.com/item/ArdBot-Chassis-Kit-340

I have some servos that would work here: http://arduino-direct.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=128

This basic approach of using continuous-rotation servos is the easiest way to get started... Make sure you supply power to the servos from a separate 4.8 to 6 volt supply (like 4 AA batteries), not the Arduino power regulator.

Email me if you need more of the article...

Have fun!

Caught this thread and thought I might reply.

Indeed, the fourth edition of Robot Builder's Bonanza is due out soon, but the details about it on Amazon are very out of date. They should be updating it (and the cover, which is completely different) pretty soon, but in a nutshell, cr0sh is correct that it drops a bunch of old stuff to make room for new stuff -- specifically Arduino (yeah!!) and some PICAXE.

RBB4 isn't an Arduino-specific book (doing one of those now), but it has numerous code examples for Arduino, and relies on it as the primary processor for the various projects involving a microcontroller. Pretty soon I'll be able to post an updated table of contents on my site, but I have to wait until the publisher "goes live" with their version first.

Looks like Robotshop is reprinting the whole series of SERVO Magazine ArdBot articles, though trailing a few issues back. The series is up to Part 6 in the magazine (out of seven parts), but RobotShop has just the first four at the moment. They're listed here:

http://www.robotshop.com/articles.html

under the Electronics heading. My guess is that eventually they'll have all seven.

Be sure to also visit my Web site at robotoid. com for ArdBot construction notes and errata.

-- Gordon

Gordon, many thanks for your work and your persistence in making these ideas accessible to so many, especially young people.

If anyone is stuck on a Ardbot because you need the articles, PM or email terry@yourduino.com

GordonMcComb:
Caught this thread and thought I might reply.

Indeed, the fourth edition of Robot Builder's Bonanza is due out soon, but the details about it on Amazon are very out of date. They should be updating it (and the cover, which is completely different) pretty soon, but in a nutshell, cr0sh is correct that it drops a bunch of old stuff to make room for new stuff -- specifically Arduino (yeah!!) and some PICAXE.

RBB4 isn't an Arduino-specific book (doing one of those now), but it has numerous code examples for Arduino, and relies on it as the primary processor for the various projects involving a microcontroller. Pretty soon I'll be able to post an updated table of contents on my site, but I have to wait until the publisher "goes live" with their version first.

Looks like Robotshop is reprinting the whole series of SERVO Magazine ArdBot articles, though trailing a few issues back. The series is up to Part 6 in the magazine (out of seven parts), but RobotShop has just the first four at the moment. They're listed here:

http://www.robotshop.com/articles.html

under the Electronics heading. My guess is that eventually they'll have all seven.

Be sure to also visit my Web site at robotoid. com for ArdBot construction notes and errata.

-- Gordon

Gordon McComb...newbie...does not compute...!!! XD

Hey - it's great that you've joined the forum - I hope we will see more posts from you. I've pushed your book (and all editions) as much as I can toward people starting out (or needing help) in robotics; I am so glad I have the first edition (and I miss the original TAB layout - that layout was really a great and consistent one, across all their books and subjects published). I can't wait to get the new edition (although my bookshelf probably will groan)...

Welcome to the forums!

:slight_smile:

I've been in lurk mode for a year, and it's nice to finally be able to come out from under my rock (yes, I've been working on the book for that long!)

@cr0sh, if you wouldn't mind, send me an email at the contact listed on the Robotoid site. I'd like to send you some advance material that might interest you.

Anyway, yes, the original TAB format had its particular advantages. They partly did it that way to save pages. Two-column layouts take longer to do, so they try to avoid them when possible. I notice they still use it on their Evil Genius books, though that's also in large format.

@Terry, Thanks for the kind words!

-- Gordon

Have a look here :

and here

I take you through building a robot in quite a bit of detail.