LiquidCrystal_I2C_h not being recognised

I'm new to Arduino so bear with me, I want to connect a I2C Lcd unit to the Uno board and i have downloaded and unzipped the I2C Lcd library files and put them in the library folder. it seems that the IDE cant see the header file as it is not highlighted (wont turn orange) when I #Iinclude it in the sketch and when i verify i get the error message LiquidCrystal_I2C does not name a type, is there something else I need to do with these files apart from dropping them in to the library folder? :smiley: thank you

What version of IDE? Have you restarted IDE after copying the files into the libraries folder? You should have a LiquidCrystal_I2C folder inside libraries, with all thw files inside.

FYI, You might also like to consider the New Liquid Crystal Library from fm, as it is a replacement for both LiquidCrystal AND LiquidCrystal_I2C in a single library, with optimisations in speed - https://bitbucket.org/fmalpartida/new-liquidcrystal/wiki/Home

IrishJohn:
is there something else I need to do with these files apart from dropping them in to the library folder?

Yes. Chek your code for speling mistakes. In mine, the text LiquidCrystal is orange, using the standard Arduinop IDE.

#include <LiquidCrystal_I2C.h>

Using Arduino version 1.0.2.

IrishJohn:
Using Arduino version 1.0.2.

That should not make any difference. You might try showing your code, particularly if it has not been lifted virgo intacto from an example. But, before you do so, compare the critical include line with the title of your post.

I'm not sure what I did but the LiquidCrystal_I2C_h header file is at last being recognized and the programs are working fine, when i find out what I was doing wrong I'll post it here, thanks everybody