Arduino 0006 released.

Arduino 0006 is available for download from: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

This release should fix the problem that stopped Arduino 0005 from running under Mac OS X 10.3 (sorry about that!). Full release notes below.

Mac version no longer requires Java 1.5, meaning it should run on 10.3.9.

Added support for analog inputs 6 and 7 and pwm on pins 5 and 6 on the on the ATmega168 used in the Arduino Mini (extra analog inputs not available in DIP ATmega168s).

You now select the baud rate for the serial monitor from within the editor status bar when the serial monitor is running instead of from the Tools menu.

Pressing enter within the serial monitor edit box no longer appends a newline to the message sent to the board.

Included the Wire (TWI) library from Wiring.

Updated the reference.

it appears that i2c is included in this release - but I'm having difficulty locating some documentationi as to what pins are used for this. Where would I be connecting scl, sda and sqw to the arduino to read a dallas ds1307 rtc?

SDA is on analog input pin 4, and SCL on analog input pin 5. What's SQW, it doesn't seem to be mentioned in the ATmega8 datasheet, but maybe they use a different name for it. I've never actually used i2c, so I don't know much about it.

ahh.. think it's just a square wave output from the device. I don't belive it's necessary at all. Thanks for the info!

Added support for analog inputs 6 and 7 and pwm on pins 5 and 6 on the on the ATmega168 used in the Arduino Mini (extra analog inputs not available in DIP ATmega168s).

I keep hearing that it is possible to read analog inputs 6, 7 and 8, also PWM on pins 5, 6, and 8. Is this correct?

I don't think so. The ATmega168 on the Arduino Mini has two extra analog inputs (for a total of 8): analog input 6 and analog input 7. These are on extra pins not found on the ATmega168 DIP package (i.e. the size and shape of microcontroller used on the normal Arduino boards) so you won't get them if you replace the ATmega8 on your Arduino NG, say, with an ATmega168.

The ATmega168 (all versions) also has three extra PWM pins (for a total of six): pins 3, 5, and 6 (the standard PWM pins are 9, 10, and 11).

That's great, just the info I needed - so it is possible to do analog input on analog pins 0-7 (for a total of 8) and PWM on digital i/o pins 3, 5, 6, and 9, 10, 11.

it appears that i2c is included in this release

I'm getting some mixed signals on whether I can hook up i2c devices with the Arduino.

Can someone clarify?

Thanks,

Bas.

You should be able to hook up I2C devices using the Wire library, but it's not been fully tested or debugged. See: Libraries - Arduino Reference and http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1163405566;start=all

You should be able to hook up I2C devices using the Wire library, but it's not been fully tested or debugged. See: Libraries - Arduino Reference and http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1163405566;start=all

Arghhh. As a newbie, I'm having problems interpreting "should be able to" :wink: I'm not sure if I should pursue experimenting with i2c using Arduino or use something else. It's going to be hard enough for me as it is without adding extra complexity by not trusting my Arduino actually is a proper i2c citizen and hence spend a lot of time on getting that part to work.

Can anyone comment on the issues with Arduino and i2c as far as low-level things are concerned, you know, the electrical levels etc.?

Sorry, I know those answers are frustrating. I can tell you that the chip (an ATmega8) on the Arduino board has hardware support for I2C, so there should be no problems there. The software library that allows you to use the hardware I2C functions was originally written for Wiring and ported to Arduino. It will not, I believe, work with the Arduino Mini as is, but some people have gotten it to work with the Arduino NG. Others have had problems, but I'm not sure why. If you have a more reliable solution, you probably want to go with that, but if you've yet to use I2C on any platform, I'd give Arduino a shot.

Hi mellis,

no worries, thanks for clarifying. I'll just give at a shot as soon as I have my i2c slave and see how it works out.

Cheers,

Bas.