Arduino WiFi Shield firmware update

Hello everyone,

Following this forum and many user discussions related to wifi shield firmware update, we decided to perform the update ourselves. We followed the procedure from http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/WiFiShieldFirmwareUpgrading. It was straight forward and we did this successfully. Passing on the information, we have documented the entire update process with screenshots and output.

Hope this helps

Team BTF

Hello,

i tried the fw update, i got this message: AtlibUsdDfu.dll not found. See attached image. How can i go on?
Thanks

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]
(c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Flip 3.4.7\bin>batchisp.exe -device AT32UC3A1256 -h
ardware usb -operation erase f memory flash blankcheck loadbuffer c:/wifi_dnld.e
lf program verify start reset 0
Running batchisp 1.2.5 on Tue Sep 24 11:28:11 2013

AT32UC3A1256 - USB - USB/DFU

Device selection....................... PASS
Hardware selection..................... PASS
Opening port........................... FAIL    ISP done.

Hello Ito,

Sounds like USB driver needs to be updates.

From Atmel support:

Follow the instructions detailed in the install.txt file in C:\Program Files\ATMEL\FLIP X.X.X\info Directory.
Please, read the sections :
NEW USB DRIVER INSTALLATION for Windows 2000 or
NEW USB DRIVER INSTALLATION for Windows XP

Team BTF

Hi BTF,

Actually I use Win 8, so the offered upgrades for win2000 or xp does not solve my problem. Unfortunately I do not know how to proceed:(.
Thanks
Itokawa

hello,

The saga is going on. Finally I turned to my old PC, running WinXP, and updated the Wifi Shield firmware. I got back the same screenshots as given in the process docs. Since I do nor have FTDI cable, I could not check its success except that the screenshots were OK for both files.
Look at what happened with my project on UNO R3 and wifi shield config:

Using IDE 1.0.4, sketch is running well, wifi connection and HTTP requests are OK. Super! :slight_smile:

Change to IDE 1.0.5, sketch is uploaded, wifi connection established, but no data traffic , I can not see any HTTP request coming out from the box. What is observable, that the blue data led of the wifi shield is NOT blinking when using IDE 1.0.5. :0

Conclusion:

My Wifi shield does not work with IDE 1.0.5
Firmware update is problematic with Win8, I could only perform with WinXP.

Are there any idea or proposal which can help me?
Thanks
Itokawa

Ito,

One more suggestion.

Review the Wifi firmware update page not_found. Note there is a USB Driver for AT32UC3 microcontroller on Windows listed in Tools section?

http://www.dfrobot.com/image/data/TEL0064/AVR32%20USB%20Driver.zip

Download and install the driver, perform the update again.

Team BTF

Hi,
Thanks for the help, finally I could isntall the usb driver under win8, and repeated the firmware update again.
Result:
IED1.0.4 wifi shield is working fine as before
IDE 1.05: the same sketch is partially running, but is connecting, but the client does not connect when the skecth initiate the HTTP GET. So there are some improvement, but only partial.

I think that still there are some problem with the wifishield or with the IDE 1.0.5
How do you see this?
Thanks
Ito