XBee Wireless Robotics Platform

I built this XBee controlled robotics platform using a 4WD chassis. There is no microcontroller on the remote, just an XBee connected directly to a joystick and two buttons for controlling the lights. All project details and video at:
http://nootropicdesign.com/projectlab/2012/02/18/xbee-robotics-platform/

Nice Project i also made a radio bot using the tamiya track chassis and 433 MHz radio modules, i always wanted to use these XBee's but because of cost implication i was restrained, good to know that when you use XBee you always have the possibility to extend the control radius.

ood to know that when you use XBee you always have the possibility to extend the control radius.

Have a look at how far I drive my Rover 5!

Most of the time I couldn't see it and it was behind piles of dirt or on the other side of a hill!

Most of the time I couldn't see it and it was behind piles of dirt or on the other side of a hill!

Well this is according to what this promising technology makers propose! they say you can form a commandant and undless slaves XBee's to extend the control radius that is possible offcourse and i think if it was a fool technology no body would have employed it that much as we see these days into their projects and its too costly that's why too.

I use RF 433 Mhz transmitters or Transceiver modules but i think they are till now very nice utlities given their price and range but turn off;s are those irresponsible communication that it makes.

Hi there, i am having problems setting this up i keep getting this when compiling the code - 'Serial1' was not declared in scope

i just copied and pasted the code as is..... Also i am using the arduino joystick shield from Sparkfun, is this a problem? my Xbee modules are talking to each other fine when i run a simple counting sketch through arduino, everything is connected properly so i am miffed really.

Do i need to install new libraries?

I am using an arduino duemilanove as the 4WD control, with an Adafruit motor shield with Headers so i can access the RX and TX pins, and i am using an arduino Uno with a joystick shield as the Remote, Xbee series 2 connected to both

Any help would be great.

Cheers

I think i have figured it out, Serial1 does not work with an Uno or a duemilanove , so is there anyway for me to get the 4WD platform to work with an duemilanove ?

Regards,

L

superray:
I think i have figured it out, Serial1 does not work with an Uno or a duemilanove , so is there anyway for me to get the 4WD platform to work with an duemilanove ?

Regards,

L

You can use Serial with Uno...not serial1. Or you can use softwareSerial.

Here is a tutorial that should help you. Tutorial 9 for Arduino: Wireless Communication – JeremyBlum.com

You only need one serial port for the project. I used Serial for debugging and Serial1 for the XBee. Just eliminate all the calls to Serial, then change Serial1 to Serial.