using the 74HC165 shift-in's

hey there,

im using Sparkfun's 74HC165 shift-in breakouts:

I've loaded the example they use and set up my circuit the right way (i think) with resistors out of the A-H outs going to GND and switches out of the A-H outs to 5v...but when i press the switches (or switch them on) the code doesn't read a change....any help?

1. this is a great example of why I HATE sparkfun, they burned you for 4$ on a part you could have bought from a real electronics supplier for 27 cents

to your problem, when you wire the outputs to ground are you using resistors? if not your crowbaring your power supply and it probably dips or shuts off ... you want something like

in ----|--switch-- +5
ground

Osgeld:

1. this is a great example of why I HATE sparkfun, they burned you for 4$ on a part you could have bought from a real electronics supplier for 27 cents

Plus they put it on a PCB. I'd like to see you pay the wages of the PCB designer, pay for the office he sits in, get it manufactured in small quantities, stock it, it and sell it at a profit for much less than that.

You have read the part "Note: The SER_IN and SER_OUT labels are swapped." on Sparkfuns site and changed your project accordingly ?

fungus:

Osgeld:

Plus they put it on a PCB. I'd like to see you pay the wages of the PCB designer, pay for the office he sits in, get it manufactured in small quantities, stock it, it and sell it at a profit for much less than that.

the part does not require a PCB as its commonly available in DIP packaging

Osgeld:

fungus:

Osgeld:

the part does not require a PCB as its commonly available in DIP packaging

Well, but you paying extra for a ready to solder some wires and use chip. No need of a breadboard.

Now, when you paying for something, and they sell you something that says "Note: The SER_IN and SER_OUT labels are swapped." then yes, they should took that off the site.

hey guys,

thanks for the help. i am using resistors to ground and its still not working.

when they say "The SER_IN and SER_OUT labels are swapped" what do they mean?

i tried going out the arduino datapin to SER_OUT rather than SER_IN but that didn't work.

ok so i have an update....i was trying to daisy-chain 3 74HC165's and it wasn't working (and i was changing the one bit of the code from int to long where is says i have too)....but why isn't it working with 3 or more?

also the first chip seems to be reading input 8-16, where as the second chip is input 0-7....which is a bit weird....not actually a problem for me because my project doesn't really require them to be in any specific order just for them to work but i would like to know whats going on...

If you making 2 work, I think it should work with 3 also.

I'm not sure why the 8 to 16 or the 0 to 7

On the ShiftRegisters (for outputs) you can set something like "Less Significant First" or "More Significant First" can this have a similar configuration?

Or probably, what you think is the first, is really the 2nd :slight_smile: dunno.

still wont work if i want to daisy chain more than 2....

anybody got any more ideas?