Raspberry Pi launch farce

So the long awaited launch of the Raspberry Pi has ended in a total farce, with servers crashing and people not being able to order things from the selected vendors.
http://www.osnews.com/story/25661/Raspberry_Pi_launch_turns_into_frenzy/
I hope this does not burn up all the good will it has generated.

Maybe this is a lesion of how not to do a much anticipated launch that the Arduino team will heed for the launch of the Due.

I think Arduino are pretty safe, there's been almost nothing let alone any hype :slight_smile:

In fact that may be one reason there has been so little info and much as we've been crying out for some that's fair enough.

Rob

I cant wait to get mine ordered, actually I want a few to replace "big boxes"

that pentium laptop redirecting tcpip to serial for the retro bench can be replaced by one, my NAS by another, my XBOX which is a BEAST and requires an act of hackery to get it just to display 480i is another for streaming media

I ordered one yesterday and have been given a delivery date of the 14th April.

you're lucky, all I got was a "register your interest" option :frowning:

The trick is to put in the Farnell order code for it in the search box. It's number is 2081185.

TonyD:
you're lucky, all I got was a "register your interest" option :frowning:

Same here. I did the same on the RS website.

T.

Grumpy_Mike:
The trick is to put in the Farnell order code for it in the search box. It's number is 2081185.

Ah - many thanks for that Mike, I have now been able to place an order. Lets see what the expected delivery date turns out to be!

Texy

Yup - delivery is stated as "w/c 23rd April"

T.

I just ordered mine from newark.com, using the part number tip Grumpy_Mike posted. Thanks Mike.

I snagged it for $31.50 USD, after using a voucher code and it is expected to ship on May 11, 2012.

Just tried Mikes code on both farnell and rs and it just points to the register interest pages.
I suspect that it may have been an oversight by the sites that has now been removed.
Good luck though.

Gordon

Yep - so I read on one of the unofficial pi forums.
Still, got MY order in,
T.

GordonEndersby:
Just tried Mikes code on both farnell and rs and it just points to the register interest pages.
I suspect that it may have been an oversight by the sites that has now been removed.
Good luck though.

Gordon

Try http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=2081185

That link worked about five hours ago but they have plugged that one as well now!

So have you ordered one then mike

Yes, I said in reply #3.
I think the back order figures must be some sort of metric that management use to measure performance and all this Raspberry Pi stuff is screwing that up. Plus I don't think they can deliver the second batch as quickly as they first thought.

So my 14th April delivery date has just been pushed back to the 15th May!

EDIT
But apparently according to the Raspberry Pi web site this is an error.

Mine has been pushed back from May 11th to April 3rd at Newark, so I'm not sure what to believe. I'm in no rush anyway, because if was to get here tomorrow, then I would never get any work done. ]:smiley:

Looks like it may end up being later, the factory put the wrong components on the boards ( rj45 jack ), I have yet to place my order so I think I'll have to wait until the next production run.

pYro_65:
Looks like it may end up being later, the factory put the wrong components on the boards ( rj45 jack ), I have yet to place my order so I think I'll have to wait until the next production run.

If true wouldn't be the first error caused by rushing production to make a 'release date', much like the original shield connector spacing error on the first arduino boards built, which is even to this day still a 'signature feature' of the arduino design. :wink:

Lefty