Question about PCB service (iTead/iMall).. if anyone has experience?

Yes.. I did send an email to iTead/iMall directly (to Sunny & pcb services).

but instead of waiting 24 hours for an answer.. I figured someone here has used them before, and might know the difference(s) between these two items/services..

Summary..

have a few PCB's to get made... noticed one is over sized for the qty 10 pcb small batch PCB runns they offer..

(its 0.75in. x 4.45in in dimensions)..

or according to iTead when I sent asking original question I was quoted: 1.9cm x 11.24cm in dimensions.. according to the gerber files.

They recommended this service for that size board (5x15cm):

the correct option to be selected is 5*15cm , the webpage provide more detailed information about this service ,you can visit it : http://imall.iteadstudio.com/open-pcb/pcb-prototyping/im120418010.html

so this link:
http://imall.iteadstudio.com/open-pcb/pcb-prototyping/im120418010.html

which equates to:
5 qty pcb's total
$38.00 USD (not including shipping costs yet)

*(I did notice that the title says: 2Layer PCB Larger than 10cm x 10cm however? and not the 5x15cm choice she mentions?)

but if you look on their site.. and go to the small batch pcbs..etc.. find the LARGER than 10cm x 10cm option..

http://imall.iteadstudio.com/open-pcb/small-batches-pcb/im120418019.html

fill in all the options (no color, no extra charges. 100% E-test..etc)
green
50 pc
1.9cm
11.24cm

it only comes to: $28.83

What am I missing here? What is the difference? I get a ton more pcb's -and- they are cheaper... from the same place?

thanks in advance for anyone who can help me 'understand' LOL .. :slight_smile:

update:
http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/fusion-pcb-service-2-layers-p-835.html?cPath=70_71

looking at Seeed (which I have never used before?.. anyone recommend them?... they look ALOT like iTead? same images/requirements....almost)

iTead's second, cheaper price, mathces more with Seeeds price: ($26.00)....

**Update: its +$26.00.. not a flat $26.00.. its +$26.00 + $9.90...

so a 'bit cheaper than iTead.. & you get 10 boards vs the 5?

hmmmmm.......I guess Im still un-sure about the differences in the two iTead/iMall products/services?

thanks!

I don't think you finished filling in the form here
http://imall.iteadstudio.com/open-pcb/small-batches-pcb/im120418019.html
it shows 28.83 until you put in the correct sizes - 1.9cm is not accepted, it must be 5.1cm or more.Then the price goes up to $77.39 for 50 pieces.

hmm..

that makes more sense.. but what is making you think the 1.9 isnt accepted?

if I change it to 1, or 1.5 or 1.9.. each time it re-calculates..

it 'seems' to accept the correct size of 1.9cm x 11.24cm?

wel.. if this IS true.. then it truly looks as if SEEED is the better choice here? at least for this particular board?

*I find it odd iTead doesnt have a 5cm x 15cm option like SEEED does? (only square spaced options?)

SEEED actually offers twice as many boards? for a couple bucks cheaper?(or am I reading that wrong as well??) lol

Have you used SEED before Robert? pros? cons? better/worse/same than iTead?

thanks!

Im trying to get these ordered today/tomorrow at latest!

Or you can panelize 5x your design into a single 10 x 15 cm board and buy 10 of those for $56 + shipping.

I actually DID give thought about panelizing

(re-doing the poly/gnd planes)
mirroring the design
adding the silk screen 'cut' line(s)...etc

but I have never done that before..
*and my band saw is a janky benchtop design.. not very true cutting..lol

I could also do it 2 times on the SEED 5cm x 15cm option...

when I tried to enter 1.9 here I get a warning - see attachment.

I thought itead supported rectangular sizes, I don't see them listed at the moment.
Sunny & Wendy & are pretty quick to answer, e-mail them & ask.
I have not used seeed at all.

hmm.. good call/catch then I guess..

I use FireFox and DO NOT get that warning?..

*update I just tried with whatever version of IE8 is installed on my machine.. and also 'did-not' get any warning for input size? (WTH?) hahaha

Well this stinks...

got any feedback on using SEEED studios vs iTead then?

for the relatively same price.. I can get twice as many pcbs..

thanks!

"I have not used seeed at all."

doh!

missed that in the previous reply.. (sorry)

Yeah I have emailed Sunny (not Wendy)... and am waiting (time difference and all)

not using SEEED... active choice? or just luck of the draw and have stuck with iTead? (like myself)

itead continues to provide me high quality boards and is responsive to my needs, so I have no reason to change.

cant argue with that.

I too (outside of two mishaps..one medium..one minor) enjoy iTead.. and was trying to use them again..

in this case though.. I'm not sure if its economical/smarter to use them?

I can wait until I hear back tomorrow... and see what Sunny has to say..

and worse case I guess give SEEED a try?

anyone with SEEED experience wanna chime in?

thanks!

ITead and Seeed use the same PCB company.

I've only used ITead and am very happy with their service. They seem to get boards out to customers quicker than Seeed, and I get the impression that people have fewer problems with them, than with Seeed.

Haven't had any problems with Seeed. Have done three batches of boards. Along the lines of Leon's comment there's also Elecrow which appears to use the same service; from their postings here they seem to be hungry for business.

Try a good blade for your bandsaw -- the quality of the blade makes a world of difference in how well your saw will cut. I suggest timberwolfblades.com and their prices are not much more than cheap blades you find in hardware stores. Not that I would recommend cutting PCBs with a bandsaw, but, you made a comment...

I've used seeed for one batch of boards, and had no problems--got the boards reasonably quickly (I don't remember exactly how long, but I don't remember being frustrated by the wait), and they worked perfectly. Just one data point.

Just a general observation (without checking board sizes, qty, etc) but Elecrow will panelise boards and they have a V notch cut in them which makes separating them easy, the simply snap. It costs extra but is well worth it - in my opinion!

thanks everyone..

I haven't heard much about Elecrow... so that's why I haven't thought about them as a choice/option..

I'm going to try SEEED for the first time I guess..

I heard back from iTead/iMall however..

and they informed me.. that if I was a better customer, that getting 10 boards vs the 5 boards you currently get wold be negotiable.. haha.

I mean I'm not keeping their lights on or anything.. but I have gotten at least 10-15 different pcb/project orders of various size/qty over the last 10 months or so from them.. not to mention some other 'hardware',... (bluetooth/nRF modules..etc)

thanks!

If you are thinking of using a bandsaw to cut PCB, at the very least get a good quality dust filter mask. The dust with the resin and glass particles do not do your lungs any good at all.

Also, be prepared to dull your blades very quickly, unless you are using speciality blades. The material is incredibly abrasive and hard on blades to cut through; a mild steel blade will be dull in almost no time flat.

I'd rather pay the extra and get the boards so that I didn't need to cut them, myself.

You can cut boards easily without blowing glass dust about by scoring with a carbide tipped laminate (i.e. Formica tm) cutting knife. Score firmly a few times with a straight edge on both sides. Clamp in a vice and snap apart. If you wish, use a sharp file to smooth the edges. Ciao, Lenny
P.S. A plexiglass scoring knife will also work, but dulls very quickly as it's steel rather than carbide.