Trying to make a paragliding vario .

Hello all.

I am trying to make a vario for paragliding by copying and modifying an article in the RCGROUP article

I asked their forum if I modified the drawing as attached would it act just as a audible vario....The answer was yes

I rigged up a breadboard with a tweeter as the audio, loaded their sketch...but not a lot happened.

a. How should I modify their sketch to get this to work?

or should I just give up and buy a vario

Thanks John

You are effectively driving the tweeter through a 10K resistor, so it will be extremely quiet. Instead of the 10K/390 ohm/2.2uF combination, try connecting the tweeter, a 150 ohm resistor, and a 10uF capactor in series, and connect that combination between D2 and ground. It may still be too quiet for use when paragliding, but you stand a better chance of hearing it.

Thanks I will give that a go

John

Thanks DC42

I tried your suggestion AND IT WORKS A TREAT!!!!!!

Thanks very much for your help

Been messing around with this issue for weeks thanks again John

I'm glad you got it working. Have fun paragliding, and fly safely!

I purchased one of these:

I'm hoping that that will work to provide a loud enough output.

audio amp.jpg

Also found this in the RC vario discussion:

I tried this with a small speaker and it wasn't very loud. Certainly not loud enough to be heard above wind noise.

BUT I tried it with a small set of head phones and a set of ear buds and it was very loud with both. I just copied this circuit with the 100 ohm resistor on pin D-2.

I wonder if a potentiometer where the resistor is would make the volume controllable.

I tried a potentiometer in the circuit and it worked great to control the volume in a set of earbuds.

I received the sound module today, and it drives a speaker great. Just connected the output from d2 to the input of the audio amplifier. Next, hook up a 9V battery and make a light weight enclosure and go flying.