Arduino Uno and Ubuntu 10.10 Impossible for beguiners!!

Hello everyone.
Last week I just bought a Arduno One and I since then trying to use it in Ubuntu 10.10. As many of you have had problems for programming and especially to use the serial port (ttyACM0). There are plenty of posts solutions to do the Uno compatible with Linux, but I see that there is no definitive solution. But what I most miss is that there is a solution clearly and concisely, given by the Arduino Team. Show my surprise that I get very excited Arduino after using Basic Stamp, Propeller PicAxe , and on these platforms would be inconceivable that situation.

Greetings

Jaume Nogues
Vall Hebron Tech School
Barcelona

Have you looked at this?

If you go to “Ubuntu Software Centre” under the Applications menu, and type in “Arduino” you get the Arduino IDE version 18+dfsg-4, which as far as I’m aware simply won’t work with the current Uno product. How this situation is allowed to happen and still be happening after all these months is beyond belief. Utterly stupid. Ridiculous. Not only totally unfriendly for beginners, it sets up a minefield of failure even before they start.

Hi.
I read this post:

I need Reflashing the firmware on the 8u2?

Jaume

If it 'sort of works' but has a hangup using serial and subsequent reprogramming, then reflashing the 8U2 firmware is probably the way to go. I made a lot of negative noises about the Uno before I reflashed the firmware, now its as good as my FTDI boards (Duemilanoves).

Ian: unfortunately, getting software into the Debian and Ubuntu is a very bureaucratic and slow process. The (32-bit) version of Arduino 0022 for Linux is available from the Arduino software page, and should work well on Ubuntu, since that's what I test it on.

Hi all!

I reflash the firmware on the 8u2. All the proces OK, but I have more or less the same problems. Sometimes I can program, sometimes (more or less all the time) there is the next error.

Now I think the Arduino Uno is not compatible with linux (Ubuntu),Why? Open Souce Hardware with Windows? Noo! Come Back to FTDI!

Error openig serial port '/dev/ttyACM0'
processing.app.SerialException: Error opening serial port '/dev/ttyACM2'.
at processing.app.Serial.(Serial.java:146)
at processing.app.Serial.(Serial.java:76)
at processing.app.debug.Uploader.flushSerialBuffer(Uploader.java:75)
at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadViaBootloader(AvrdudeUploader.java:93)
at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(AvrdudeUploader.java:56)
at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1603)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1568)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1524)
at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2293)
at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2302)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)
Caused by: gnu.io.UnsupportedCommOperationException: Invalid Parameter
at gnu.io.RXTXPort.setSerialPortParams(RXTXPort.java:171)
at processing.app.Serial.(Serial.java:136)
... 10 more
processing.app.debug.RunnerException: Error opening serial port '/dev/ttyACM2'.
at processing.app.debug.Uploader.flushSerialBuffer(Uploader.java:99)
at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadViaBootloader(AvrdudeUploader.java:93)
at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(AvrdudeUploader.java:56)
at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1603)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1568)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1524)
at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2293)
at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2302)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)[/color]

mellis:
Ian: unfortunately, getting software into the Debian and Ubuntu is a very bureaucratic and slow process.

Then get it out of it. Remove it. Make it not be in the Ubuntu Software Centre at all.

If it’s such an unmanageable process, then it’d be better to not find it at all in the Ubuntu Software Centre, then people would go looking elsewhere instead of doing the obvious thing and installing the one the Ubuntu Software Centre gives you. Someone new wouldn’t know that that is an obsolete version.

jnogues: hmm. It's weird that the error includes both /dev/ttyACM0 and /dev/ttyACM2. Does either one appear in the Tools > Serial Port menu? If not, how did you specify the serial port? If they don't, you probably need the patched version of the RXTX .jar that comes with the Arduino software download rather than one that comes with your distribution. (The only change is that it also looks for /dev/ttyACM* devices.) Or you could try symbolically linking from /dev/ttyACM0 to /dev/ttyUSB0; the latter should appear in the serial port menu with the standard (unpatched) RXTX.

Also, "gnu.io.UnsupportedCommOperationException: Invalid Parameter" sometimes happens when trying to open the serial port at an invalid (non-standard) baud rate. Try editing your preferences.txt file when Arduino is not running (you can find its location in the preferences dialog in the Arduino software). Set serial.debug_rate to 115200 (or maybe 19200).