Chip pullers?

Hey...
I was digging through some of my dad's old boxes of ICs, etc... And found these. Was wondering what they are?

The larger one seems to be a chip-puller/pin-straightener. Looks like the smaller grey one could be used that way too? Not sure if it has a more specific function?

And, I have really no idea what the tiny (brass-looking) connectors are/were used for.

Can anyone give me more details about any of them?

Thanks!

The white one clips on a chip and allows access to the pins for an oscilloscope probe.
The other one looks like a pin straightener as you guessed.

Grumpy_Mike:
The white one clips on a chip and allows access to the pins for an oscilloscope probe.
The other one looks like a pin straightener as you guessed.

Pin straightener and chip inserter. The plunger on the top is probably missing a thumb pad.

Yeah, not just a pin straightener, but also to compress the pins of the chip exactly so that the chips will slide into a DIP socket - especially good for machined-pin sockets.

For historical context:
Many years ago, in the days of the IBM PC, I was working at a place, and IBM sent over a very pretty young lady [wouldn't you know, but with a guy also in tow] to try and sell us some PCs. At the time, I was actually sitting on the bench using the correct chip puller tool on some chips, and the VPYL said "We've been using that one to 'insert' chips, no wonder the pins always bend". Clearly, not just her, but none of the guys at the local IBM outlet knew the difference. See,
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1007&bih=870&q=chip+puller

Grumpy_Mike:

Ahhhh....ok. I was thinking it could be used to probe the pins. That makes sense.

Yeah, not just a pin straightener, but also to compress the pins of the chip exactly so that the chips will slide into a DIP socket - especially good for machined-pin sockets.

Yeah, I've playing around with it a little. Works great. Wish I'd found this BEFORE a project I did last month. Two sockets just refused to cooperate.

Thanks!

1ChicagoDave:

Yeah, I've playing around with it a little. Works great. Wish I'd found this BEFORE a project I did last month. Two sockets just refused to cooperate.

Thanks!

I don't have one for 40-pin chips, so for brand new chips, I just bend all the pins in using needle-nose pliers, and jiggle wayward pins into place while inserting.

And anymore, I just use a small screwdriver for a chip puller.

Easier to lay the chip on its side with the pins flat on the table and then rock the chip slightly to straighten all the pins on that side. Flip the chip over and repeat for the pins on the other side.

Easier with SMT chips, just place on the solderpads!

RoyK:
Easier to lay the chip on its side with the pins flat on the table and then rock the chip slightly to straighten all the pins on that side. Flip the chip over and repeat for the pins on the other side.

I do that too. Never knew there's a tool for inserting these chips with pins slightly pointing away. I also have an intel chip puller that looks like a rake.

The tiny brass things are male and female pins that look like co-ax cable center pins for the BNC type of male and female cable connectors.

Doc

Docedison:
The tiny brass things are male and female pins that look like co-ax cable center pins for the BNC type of male and female cable connectors.

Doc

I think you're right. Thanks! That makes sense; I've seen a bunch of BNC connectors in another one of his boxes. I figured they were male/female pins for something...just nothing I've dealt with. Couldn't place them.

I've got maybe 100 or so of each right now. Was debating using/repurposing them with an LED cube I'm working on - attach one end to bottom pins of the cube, then have the other gender on the main board (or case) with the electronics. Might be handy to be able to quickly detach the LED cube if I want...or to swap it out with another one sometime in the future.

image.jpg

oric_dan:

For historical context:
Many years ago, in the days of the IBM PC, I was working at a place, and IBM sent over a very pretty young lady [wouldn't you know, but with a guy also in tow] to try and sell us some PCs. At the time, I was actually sitting on the bench using the correct chip puller tool on some chips, and the VPYL said "We've been using that one to 'insert' chips, no wonder the pins always bend". Clearly, not just her, but none of the guys at the local IBM outlet knew the difference. See,
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1007&bih=870&q=chip+puller

That's funny.
My dad used to work for IBM, back in 70's & maybe early 80's, as a "Field Engineer" (Then on to Harris Corp.) My entire childhood, I used old punch-cards for EVERYTHING....scratch paper, making forts for my GI Joes. I think I even used punch-cards, instead of playing cards or baseball cards, in the spokes of my bicycle wheels! And, I still use his 30+ year old solder sucker today.

Thanks again, everyone!