Lockuino - Digital combination lock

I wanted to boost security on my shed door, and what better way with an Arduino-powered combination lock?

The pictorial build log for this project can be found over here: Mini project: Keypad mount The main emphasis on that thread is the machining work...

Fortunately, the combination lock code is very simple. Mark Stanley & Alexander Brevig already created the Matrix Keypad code (Arduino Playground - Keypad Library), so all I needed to do was modify their code a little to parse the keyboard in the way I wanted; and to add the code which builds the combinations up & tests them.

The code is ugly... it's my first effort at Arduino code, and whilst I've been a BASIC programmer (up to & including MS Visual Basic.NET), C has always remained slightly out of reach... Lucky the Arduino's version of C doesn't seem to have any of the mega-steep learning curve associated with regular C (or C++)... not that my string handling is very elegant. e.g. How could I improve it to cope with variable-length codes?

The code exceeds the max posting size, so I'll have to split it over 2 posts... here's part 1:

/* @file Combination_Lock.pde
|| @version 1.0
|| @author Ade Vickers
|| @contact javickers@solutionengineers.com
||
|| @description
|| | Based on keypad.h amongst others. Drive a combination lock
|| | using a 16-key keypad. Secret codes are hard-coded below.
|| |
|| | Thanks to Alexander Brevig/Mark Stanley for the Keypad library
|| #
*/
#include <Keypad.h>
#include <Servo.h>

// Define keyboard
const byte ROWS = 4; //four rows
const byte COLS = 4; //four columns
char keys[ROWS][COLS] = {
  {'1','2','3','A'},
  {'4','5','6','B'},
  {'7','8','9','C'},
  {'*','0','#','D'}
};
byte rowPins[ROWS] = {6,7,8,9};                 //connect to the row pinouts of the keypad
byte colPins[COLS] = {2,3,4,5};                 //connect to the column pinouts of the keypad
Keypad keypad = Keypad( makeKeymap(keys), rowPins, colPins, ROWS, COLS );

// Pins used for LEDs and the servo
byte attnPin = 12;
byte errorPin = 13;
byte lockOperatePin = 10;
byte lockIndicatePin = 11;

// Status and timer variables
boolean haveAttention = false;                  // True after "A" is pressed to get the machine's attention
byte loseAttentionIn = 0;                       // Used as a counter
const byte ATTENTION_SPAN = 50;                 // Approx 5 seconds
boolean haveError;                              // Problem with the combination (if true, red light is on)
byte loseErrorIn = 0;                           // Clear error timer
boolean lockOperate;                            // Lock is open (active)
byte lockDeOperateIn = 0;                       // Used as a counter, ala loseAttentionIn

char myCode[5] = "0000";                        // Starting point for the code
char* myComp[] = { "1234", "5678", "9012" };    // The secret codes the machine will recognise
const byte NUM_CODES = 3;                       // How many are there [I shouldn't need this...]

// Lock servo
Servo lockServo;
const int LOCK_CLOSED = 25;             // Servo sits at 25 degrees when "inactive"
const int LOCK_OPENED = 71;             // 71 degrees happens to be the sweet spot for the lock to be open

void setup(){

Serial.begin(9600);                   // Debugging via serial port

pinMode(attnPin, OUTPUT);             // Prepare the output pins (these all connect to the LEDs)
  pinMode(errorPin, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(lockIndicatePin, OUTPUT);  

digitalWrite(attnPin, HIGH);          // Flash all LEDs on & off in sequence, tells me the lock is initialized.
  delay(50);
  digitalWrite(errorPin, HIGH);
  delay(50);
  digitalWrite(lockIndicatePin, HIGH);

delay(250);

digitalWrite(attnPin, LOW);           // Initialize to waiting state
  delay(50);
  digitalWrite(errorPin, LOW);
  delay(50);
  digitalWrite(lockIndicatePin, LOW);

// Attach the servo and move to position 0
  lockServo.attach(lockOperatePin);
  lockServo.write(LOCK_CLOSED);

// Not waiting for a code yet
  haveAttention = false;

keypad.addEventListener(keypadEvent); //add an event listener for this keypad
}

void loop(){  
  char key = keypad.getKey();           // Read the keypad
  int i;

if (key != NO_KEY) {                  // Assuming a key is pressed...
    switch (key) {
      case 'A':
            Serial.print("A ");         // For debugging purposes, output the button pressed.
        break;       
      case 'B':
            Serial.print("B ");
        break;       
      case 'C':
        // Handled in "press"
            Serial.print("C ");
        break;       
      case 'D':
            Serial.print("D ");

if (haveAttention) {            // If we have attention, then check for codes
          boolean match = false;
          for(i=0;i<NUM_CODES;i++) {
            Serial.print(myComp[i]);    // Debugging - I was having trouble with strcmp
            Serial.print(" ");
            Serial.println(myCode);
            if (strcmp(myComp[i], myCode) == 0)
              match = true;             // One of the codes matched; set match = true
          }
          if (match) {
             // Unlock code
             setStatus(0,0,255);        // Operate the lock
          } else {
             // Error code
             setStatus(0,255,0);        // Display an error
          }
        }
        break;
      default:
        // Any other key, add it to the code. We roll the code forwards and add the char at the end...
        // The code could include # and * characters, although none of them do
        if (haveAttention) {
          loseAttentionIn = ATTENTION_SPAN; // Reset the attention counter
          for(i=1;i<4;i++)                  // Scroll the code in the code buffer; 
            myCode[i-1] = myCode[i];        //   i.e. "1234" becomes "2344"

// Append the new code            // Replace the 4th char with the new char 
          myCode[3] = key;                  //   i.e. if 5 was pressed, "2344" becomes "2345"

// Blink the attention light to register the keypress
          digitalWrite(attnPin,!haveAttention);
          delay(30);
          digitalWrite(attnPin,haveAttention);
        }

}
  }

// Wait 100ms, then do additional processing
  delay(100);

// Attention timer
  if (loseAttentionIn > 0) {
    loseAttentionIn--;
    if (loseAttentionIn == 0) {
      setStatus(0,1,1);             // Change attention status to "don't have attention"
    }
  }

// Error timer
  if (loseErrorIn > 0) {
    loseErrorIn--;
    if (loseErrorIn == 0) {
      setStatus(1,0,1);             // Put error lamp out, if it's on.
    }
  }

// Lock operate timer
  if (lockDeOperateIn > 0) {        // If the lock is currently operating...
    lockDeOperateIn--;
    if (lockDeOperateIn == 0) {
      setStatus(1,1,0);             // Switch lock operator off
    }
  }

}

And part 2:

void setStatus(byte attention, byte error, byte lock) {
  // Depending on the flags, set/change accordingly
  // Flags can have 3 values: 0 (reset), 255 (set) or 1 (ignore)
  int i;

// Set the attention lamp
  switch (attention) {
    case 0:
      haveAttention = false;
      break;
    case 255:
      haveAttention = true;
      loseAttentionIn = ATTENTION_SPAN;     // Approx 5 seconds
      for(i=0;i<4;i++)                      // Clear the current code
        myCode[i] = '0';
      break;
    default:
      break;
  }
  digitalWrite(attnPin,haveAttention);      // Set the Attention LED as applicable

// Set the error lamp
  switch (error) {
    case 0:
      haveError = false;
      break;
    case 255:
      haveError = true;
      loseErrorIn = 75;                     // That should be a constant...
      break;
    default:
      break;
  }
  digitalWrite(errorPin,haveError);         // This code is the same as the above

// Operate/deoperate the locking system
  switch (lock) {
    case 0:
      lockOperate = false;                    // Deallocate lock operator
      lockDeOperateIn = 0;                    // Cancel the timer
      break;
    case 255:
      lockOperate = true;                     // Indicates the lock is active
      lockDeOperateIn = 50;                   // 5 seconds, then de-operate automatically
      break;
    default:
      break;
  }
  if (lockOperate)                              // This code moves the servo
    lockServo.write(LOCK_OPENED);
  else 
    lockServo.write(LOCK_CLOSED);
  digitalWrite(lockIndicatePin,lockOperate);    // Cancel the lock indicator
}

//take care of some special events
// This is pretty similar to the Keypad.h example code.

void keypadEvent(KeypadEvent key){
  switch (keypad.getState()){
    case PRESSED:
      switch (key){
        case 'B':                               // Doorbell; drive the bellpin
                                                // At this time, I don't have a spare pin to drive a doorbell. I will have
                                                // to lose either serial tx/rx capability, or one of the LEDs, to drive it.                                                
          // Sacrifice attention if we hit the bell push
          if (!lockOperate) {   // Can't do it if the lock is operating (will leave lock in an indeterminate position)
            setStatus(0,0,0);
            digitalWrite(lockIndicatePin,true); // Use the lock indicator to show the "buzzer" is "active"
          }          
          break;
        case 'A':  // Get attention, clear the code
          if (!lockOperate)    // Can't do it if the lock is operating (will leave lock in an indeterminate position)
            setStatus(255,0,0);
          break;
        case 'C':  // Clear - lose attention, basically, and clear any error. Ideal if you muff the code half way through.
          if (!lockOperate)    // Can't do it if the lock is operating (will leave lock in an indeterminate position)
            setStatus(0,0,0);
          break;
      }
    break;
    case RELEASED:
      switch (key){
        case 'B':                               // When the "doorbell" is released, stop "ringing" it...          
          if (!lockOperate) // Can't do it if the lock is operating (will leave lock in an indeterminate position)
            digitalWrite(lockIndicatePin,false);  // doorbell released
          break;
      }
    break;
  }
}

I like it, as has been said: shame about the saw cut!
I originally saw 'shed' and thought you were mad! Maybe 'workshop' would make more sense. ;D

Get it watertight now as no doubt it will rain soon!

Sounds like you need to brush up on some solder skills if you destroyed 4/5 keypads :o

I like the idea though. Maybe I will get round to making myself something similar now.

Mowcius

Thanks for the comments [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I've always called it my shed.... even though it's nearly 4000sq/ft of industrial unit.... However, it is, basically, just a shed...

It's been rained on a few times now, no problems so far! There is a bit of a "porch" over the door, so the wind has to be in exactly the right direction for it to get wet... but I really shouldn't push my luck too far.

As for those solder pads: It's not my soldering that's at fault; 'tis the cheapo solder pads which can't take any force. They really needed a "tail" on the other end, to give them something to hang onto when a wire pulled on them. As it is, the edge lifts, and that's it, they're away & gone. I've managed to salvage all the keypads, however; by soldering direct to the PCB traces, I can resurrect them...

Night of the zombie keypads! :o

Sorry, I couldn't resist :wink:

Good job!

I do not think that you need to call that code ugly, especially when it's your first stab at C/C++!
It was easy to follow and understand, and you had a creative (not typical way for a programmer) solution for handling timeouts (I mean this as a compliment).
:slight_smile:

That's a pretty cool setup! I don't know what to say about the comment that the thing ended up being too expensive; I do know that a commercial programmable dead-bolt system will run you a lot more than what you paid for your custom system, plus there was the educational aspect.

I'd say you came out way ahead on this project.

I should do one of these for my own shop...

:slight_smile:

Nice job!

I would put a magnet and reed-switch to prevent the arduino from ejecting the deadbolt while the door is still open!

What kind of mill do you have? looks great!

If you look at the images in the other forum, you can see that it is a normal door lock, that locks when the door is closed. So not really necessary to check for that.

Thanks for all your kind words! This was, indeed, my first "real" C programming work, although I have dabbled with it in the past, never really got past "hello, world" before...

andpe - bld is right, it's a Yale-type latch, which allows the door to close with the bolt out (actually, the action of closing the door pushes the bolt in, which is why it's handy that it's not permanantly connected to the servo). The milling machine is a Bridgeport Series 1; it's a big beast, but handy. I'll post some links to my workshop, once I've fixed the pictures...

alphabeta - thanks, I'm not sure what effect delay() has on other processing, I believe it acts like a tight loop? Given that, I figured I needed a way to keep the system responsive while the various delays were running, hence the countdowns... If I knew how to do event processing, I'd make them into timed events instead...

Have you considered using one of those solenoid pushed locks? (like this one: http://migre.me/DuLO )

Have you considered using one of those solenoid pushed locks?

Interesting! They don't seem to be available in the UK, and certainly not for as little as R$55 (£20) - the nearest equivalent I found was £100...

That would certainly mean I didn't have to use the servo mechanism, or modify the lock. Ah well, maybe for Mk2... I will have to try to import some.