Noob - Serial Port Issue.

We all have to start somewhere, right? haha. Well I downloaded the software and plugged the Arduino Uno to the computer > did not receive network dialog box > and check the Arduino Uno in tools > but did not have the /dev/tty.usbmodem option in the Serial Port area.

Is it because I'm running 10.8.4?

Should I install 10.6? I will if I have to, but I'd rather stick with what I have you know.

What step did I skip :frowning: ?

I upload some screen shots to prove it...

I know this is a dumb question, and I only asked because it solved my problem, but, have you tried a different USB cable?

The lack of dialog pop-up isn't usually an issue. The fact that it isn't appearing in the network panel at all, is.

1. Where did you buy the Uno from?

2. Are any of the lights on the board working, if so, what color are they: Green, Yellow/Amber, or Red?

3. If you run "System Information", click on "Usb", attach the board, then CMD-R are there any devices added?

4. As drewmutt asks, have you tried a difference cable or USB port?

Well first, thank you for responding, I would have never thought that the cable that CAME with the new arduino starter kit would be bad. In addition, I purchased the starter kit from this very site. I grabbed my printer's usb cable and sure enough the usb serial port appeared.

I don't think it's worth it to try and work for a replacement cable from the vendor because I'm just glad it's working now. Again, I didn't even want to question a bad part from this new, never opened, starter kit. Ya know? Ha

best regards,
Noob.

Alex-Arduino:
Well first, thank you for responding, I would have never thought that the cable that CAME with the new arduino starter kit would be bad.

My Arduino didn't come with a cable at all. Where did you get yours from?

[quote author=Nick Gammon link=topic=171743.msg1277951#msg1277951 date=1371205067]
My Arduino didn't come with a cable at all. Where did you get yours from?[/quote]
The OP said from this site so I assume the store and this starter kit.

Yeah, Riva, is right. I purchased it from the link he provided.