UK EU Referendum

I would be interested in hearing the thoughts of UK citizens regarding the decision to remain in the EU or depart, if you care to share them.

Personally, I believe we should remain, and that's how I'll be voting.
We're better off "in" helping to fix Europe's problems, than "out"with no influence (like Norway) but paying for the privilege (like Norway).

I'm also praying that a "remain" vote will cause Nigel Farage* to implode with rage.

*For those who don't know who Nigel is, think of him as a UK equivalent of Donald Trump, but without Trump's thoughtfulness and compassion.

As this is in Bar Sport I will risk a comment even though I am am an Irish citizen with no vote in this referendum.

In the 20th century Britain almost bankrupted itself twice to support its European friends through two World Wars. Now at a time of plenty I cannot understand why it wants to abandon those same friends.

The world should be making friends - not creating divisions that provide space for xenophobia and hatred.

I agree completely that there are many things about the EU that could be improved and I'm sure many millions of people across the EU share the frustrations that British people have voiced. But I have seen no attempt by British politicians to get support for change from those like-minded people in other Member States.

Stay in and help Europe to improve.

...R

Well put.

I was just too young to vote in the referendum to enter the EEC (as it was then), but begged my parents to vote for membership.

My Dad simply replied that there was no need to beg, his mind was made up; he didn't want his children to go through what he (Royal Navy, North Atlantic, 1943-45) and both my grandfathers (Army, Northern France 1915-18) had endured - we were better off together.

AWOL:
Personally, I believe we should remain, and that's how I'll be voting.
We're better off "in" helping to fix Europe's problems, than "out"with no influence (like Norway) but paying for the privilege (like Norway).

I'm also praying that a "remain" vote will cause Nigel Farage* to implode with rage.

*For those who don't know who Nigel is, think of him as a UK equivalent of Donald Trump, but without Trump's thoughtfulness and compassion.

Here in Norway, the "yes" side has been very quiet for a long time now. :slight_smile:

As for influence, a small country like Norway would not have much of it anyway.

The strange thing is that even though there has been talk about GREXIT and BREXIT for a long time, the EU tops don't seem to feel any need to take action, other than intimidation and threats. Making EU more and more into an elitist project for a few "visionaries" who are not subject to democratic control, may not be the way to go, or it may be the way to go, but more slowly. But political creatures, especially at the top, are never good at admissions or course corrections. Too much prestige has already been invested in the political Union.

I'd like to see UK leave, even though it may even revitalize the EU as it was meant to be, before becoming a union with its own central bank, and its own armed forces and whatnot the dreamers of Brussel would like to have command over. On the other hand, I suspect the only change the EU brass may do, is change its laws making it even harder for others to leave. That's the EU way after all.

I quite liked it when Nigel Farage insulted Herman von Rumpoy. I know its childish. :slight_smile:

AWOL:

Good belly laugh!

I'm voting remain, as I see no advantage, and much possible disadvantage, in leaving.
Both sides have used 'smoke and mirrors' in their campaigning, the 'leave' side most of all.
I doubt, for instance, that I'll live long enough to see Turkey become a member.

Saw a great reason to remain in today -

We [the UK] need to be the grit in the EU's oyster

Messieurs les Anglais vous êtes les bienvenus.

Dear residents of United Kingdom you are welcome in Europe.
Europe today needs to be more social, but that's not leaving the ship it will be.
It will become when people will unite over the governments who seeks only to satisfy their ego and their reelection.

Referendum ended...
So, wishing good luck to UK. :slight_smile:

The old conservatives win, Donald Trump next?

Devastated.
It's like a bereavement.
(Though my region voted to 60:40 to remain)

AWOL:
I was just too young to vote in the referendum to enter the EEC (as it was then),

Point of information.

The referendum in 1974 was not to decide if we entered, the question was if we should leave. We had joined a few years before with no referendum.

I am quite surprised at the result, even though I voted out because of the stupid bureaucratic rules.

The clincher for me was the ROSH legislation, brought in with naive stupidity, which results in the shortening of life of millions of electronics devices, and the damage to many small electronics businesses it produced.

Saddened at the anti immigrant sentiment attached to a lot of the leave support.

I am sad about the decision but not at all surprised. I have not heard a single UK politician enthusisatically supporting the European Union. Not even the MEPs.

I was in Sheffield for the day last Tuesday and it was heartening to see that they are having a week long "Migration Matters Festival celebrating sanctuary in the steel city" (quote from the brochure).

Every cloud has a silver lining. The fall in Sterling will be good for my Euro pension :slight_smile:

...R

It is the victory of the old against the young.
Old who believe that the situation of 40 years ago can return : false we can not go back in time, world has changed.

I hope for you that the country is not going to burst.
If we consider the votes it is probable that Ireland will be unified and probably, deprived of the protection of the European Union, you have to suffer the Spanish government's actions to recover sovereignty over Gibraltar

The catastrophe that I hope will not happen would come independent Scotland.

I have not known the 1930/1939 period, only in the books, but now with the rise of egoism and populism I thought we following the same path and this worries me greatly whichever the country where this happens and absolutely all countries are affected even the USA with Trump and tea party.
This is really worrying

Old who believe that the situation of 40 years ago can return :

Rubbish, that is not what anyone thinks. Damage once done is rarely undone.

We have seen that over the years how damage done by the Tories was never put right by the Labour governments.

What we ( I ) did want, is an end to more of the same sort of damage and petty restrictions forced on us by the EU.

So while you will still be able to take pictures of the London Eye and Houses of parliament, you will not be allowed to take pictures of the Eiffel Tower.

Basically the EU pushed things too far, now some one has stood up and said enough.

I wonder how many weeks worth of EU contributions (whatever figure you believe) have been wiped off our share values just this morning.

I hope the oldies who voted leave will be able to attract enough cheap labour to staff their care homes in the coming years.

AWOL:
I hope the oldies who voted leave will be able to attract enough cheap labour to staff their care homes in the coming years.

I have never been convinced that the people with power really want to reduce immigration. Now they can have as much as they need at as low a price as they can get because they will be able to discriminate against EU workers who might prefer a higher wage.

Unfortunately the voters who thought they were going to curb immigration will get a nasty surprise.

It would be interesting if someone could make a list of (say) 10 things that those who voted to leave expect to happen and review the list in 5 years time to see if those things actually do happen.

...R

Grumpy_Mike:
What we ( I ) did want, is an end to more of the same sort of damage and petty restrictions forced on us by the EU.

I do not agree.
The EU never did anything is if it was not authorized by the board of presidents or prime ministers representing each state. Including your.
These are government of all country that accepts measures and who are responsible.
The problem is that many (yours like mine and many others) are cowards and after they say it is the fault of Europe.

You talk about ROHS but it could not be decided without the approval of YOUR government and your European deputies.

Whether you are in or out of europe you can always have coward government.
The only solution is that the people are involved.

Stay or leave, I just wish you guys would stop crashing my stock portfolio.