Help me choose a DC boost converter IC

I'm working on a Teensy-based project that I want to power with a couple of AA batteries, so I'm going to need to use a step-up circuit, and looking for an IC to handle it. Here's what I need to do with it:

• Input of 2 AA batteries, output of 5V DC
  • Average load of ~70 mA, peak about 135
  • Surface mount, but not too small--the MAX1674 with .5mm pin pitch was just too small for me to hand-solder
  • Minimal additional parts count
  • Cheap, if possible
  • Efficiency would be nice, but this isn't intended for constant use--10-15 minutes at a time at the most, so battery life shouldn't be a big issue

I'm looking at the NCP1402, which seems to meet all these requirements, but is there another choice that would be better?

That looks a very suitable chip, and I don't know of a better one - but I am not an expert in this field.

Be very careful how you select the inductor and output capacitor - getting them right is critical to switching regulators, especially the inductor.

Fortunately, the NCP1402 data sheet calls out a particular inductor, which is easily and inexpensively available. Likewise, they give specs for the output cap which should make it easy to comply.

I'd get a pre-built one off ebay: 5v dc boost for sale | eBay

I've used loads of them, they work really well.

The tiny chips will run down to 2.7 volts. Why not run directly off the batteries(without boost) and set the brownout fuse to 2.7 volts?

fungus:
I'd get a pre-built one off ebay: 5v dc boost for sale | eBay

Trying to keep everything on one (small-ish) PCB, so I don't really have room additional modules. That would make the job easier, though.