Read data from instrument and send to the remote PC using GSM or LAN internet

Hi,

Good Morning every one.

I would like to read the data from the instrument and transmit it to the PC placed some where else through internet using any medium such as GSM Mobile or Internet by LAN or Wifi. This is my basic requirement.

If it is possible with Arduino Uno or any other model, then what are the components are required for this.

1. Maximum how many instruments can we connect with one Arduino Uno?

2. Can we get the acknowledgement for each packet of data sent by Arduino?

3. If any network failure occurs, will the Arduino stores the data till it send?

Please guide me.

Thank you,

I would like to read the data from the instrument

What instrument? What data?

If it is possible with Arduino Uno or any other model, then what are the components are required for this.

It is. You need an Arduino and some kind of shield - Ethernet, WiFi, or GSM. If at all possible, Ethernet is the most reliable, easiest, and cheapest.

1. Maximum how many instruments can we connect with one Arduino Uno?

Lots. Or one. Or none. Without knowing what kind of instruments you are talking about, and what kind of data you want to collect from them, no answer is possible.

1. Can we get the acknowledgement for each packet of data sent by Arduino?

If the other end sends one...

1. If any network failure occurs, will the Arduino stores the data till it send?

That depends on YOUR code.

Thanks for your reply. The instrument is Ambient Air Quality Measurement Equipment. Ex: Ozone Analyzer. It is used to measure the Ozone in the ambient air in real time. It has serial port for data transmission. There are 4 parameters to configure the instrument.

1. Instrument Address: 8 alphanumeric digits

2. Baud Rate: 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, 19200

3. Format: Number of bits: 7 or 8
    Parity: No parity, even parity or odd parity
    Stop bit: 1 bit or 2 bits

4. Communication Mode: Md04, PRN, Jbus, Spe1, Spe2

If you want you can refer "Environment s.a" companies instrument manuals. There are lots of instruments of this kind.

Please guide me.

Thank you.

cpcbmurthy:
If you want you can refer "Environment s.a" companies instrument manuals. There are lots of instruments of this kind.

That is not a very practical statement - don't expect people to give up their free time to read manuals on your behalf. If there is a specific item in a manual that you need help with post a link to that manual and identify which page needs to be read.

Anyway ...

From you description it seems like your sensor connects to a serial port and it would be best to use an Arduino that has a free serial port in addition to the port used for connection to the PC for programming.

That means a Mega (which has 4 Hardware Serial ports) or a Leonardo which has 1 free port.

You can create a SoftwareSerial port on an Uno which may be sufficient for your needs but the Hardware Serial ports work much better.

The ESP8266 modules seem to provide a cheap WiFi option.

An Arduino Yun has WiFi and Ethernet included but it does NOT have a free Hardware serial port.

...R

Sir,

Thanks for your reply and sorry to say to refer manuals.

1. Can you elaborate how to create hardware serial port to connect to instrument.

2. Once the instrument is connected and run the program, arduino uno will read the data from instrument and transmits to the PC through internet either by wifi or eathernet. If I have the internet in my PC, how can I receive and store the data. Is there any other arduino or any hardware is required. Please explain.

Thank you,

cpcbmurthy:

1. Can you elaborate how to create hardware serial port to connect to instrument.

I said create "SoftwareSerial". There is no need to create a hardware port. If you really meant SoftwareSerial you should look it up in the reference pages

1. Once the instrument is connected and run the program, arduino uno will read the data from instrument and transmits to the PC through internet either by wifi or eathernet. If I have the internet in my PC, how can I receive and store the data. Is there any other arduino or any hardware is required. Please explain.

What Arduino are you planning to use?

You can get Ethernet or WiFi shields to add capability, however they are not cheap. AFAIK the ESP8266 module is a cheaper way to add WiFi capability.

Bluetooth might be another option.

I am assuming you don't want to connect to the PC with a USB cable - that is the simplest solution.

...R

Thank you for your reply.

1. I would like to use Arduino Uno, which I have with me.

2. My requirement is to get the data from instrument to my PC. Both are in two different cities.

3. First of all I would like to test whether I am able to read the data from the instrument. For that I thought to connect my PC to instrument (keeping both near by) through micro controller. That is why I am asking for two serial ports. If it success, then, I will try to connect through internet either by Eathernet or GSM etc.

Is my approach is correct. Suggest me if I am wrong.

Please guide me.

Thank you

Your approach seems sensible.

Debugging across cities would not be fun :slight_smile:

...R

1. First of all I would like to test whether I am able to read the data from the instrument. For that I thought to connect my PC to instrument (keeping both near by) through micro controller. That is why I am asking for two serial ports. If it success, then, I will try to connect through internet either by Eathernet or GSM etc.

You might be able to do some simple testing with your uno and pc if you have them witth the instrument where you can connect the tx/rx/gnd pins between the instrument and uno. Is the serial connection to the instrument RS232 or TTL?

Thanks sir for your reply.

The instrument is having RS232 port.

I am planing to use software serial port for Arduino Uno.

Instrument===>Arduino Uno Software serial

Arduino Uno USB ====> Computer.

Please suggest me is it possible.

If the device has a "real" RS232 port the voltages will not be compatible with the TTL voltages that the Arduino serial uses and you will need a level converter such as a MAX232.

Otherwise what you suggest is quite common.

The examples in serial input basics may be useful for receiving the data.

...R

Sir,

Thanks for your reply.

In the instrument manual, it is clearly noted that if the instrument is directly connected to a terminal or PC, only RX, TX and Ground wires are used. I think it is not real RS232.

In the instrument manual, it is clearly noted that if the instrument is directly connected to a terminal or PC, only RX, TX and Ground wires are used. I think it is not real RS232.

Connected how? Through a DB9 (9 pin serial) connector or through a USB connector? If its a DB9 connector, that IS RS232 levels, which WILL fry your Arduino?

Why the hell are you being so secretive about the stupid instrument? Post a link!

I've used the simple level shifter in the attached pix to go from rs232 to TTL.

ezservo.jpg