Free computer power supplies, hard drives, and CD drives

I just spent my day ripping apart old computers to separate the metal ($$$) from the PCBs. I have been throwing them away, but I just happened to think some people might want to turn them into desktop units. They're mostly older units, 90W - 300W. Some ATX, some not. If anyone wants one to use for a desktop power supply, just let me know. I can probably fit them in a medium flat rate box @ $12.35

I have no problem shipping internationally, but you could probably buy a new one for the cost of shipping alone.

EDIT: I also have a ton of 1 - 40gb hard drives, and some DVD/CD drives. I noticed some people use them for the stepper motors inside? The hard drives would fit in a small flat rate box at $5.80, the dvd drives would probably have to go in medium sized boxes. If you live in the northeastern United States, it would probably be cheaper to ship regular instead of flat rate. It would save some of this stuff from going to the landfill.

wizdum:
... and some DVD/CD drives. I noticed some people use them for the stepper motors inside?

And the lasers.

I might be interested in the hard drives, I live in the southeast though

wanna run some numbers? Ill pm you the zip if so

Osgeld:
I might be interested in the hard drives, I live in the southeast though

wanna run some numbers? Ill pm you the zip if so

Sure, PM away and i'll check the price. I just mailed a graphics card to Florida, and the shipping was $10 on it. I was eliminating hard drives via 7.62x54R AP rounds, but my local gun range put a stop to it (too many people not picking up their trash).

how many hard drives we talking about by the way?

we consume them quite a bit at work, all small things just to run windows and one application for a machine, getting low on stock

I hope that the parts you throw away get taken to a store recycle center. We have them here.
There's also GoodWill.

GoForSmoke:
I hope that the parts you throw away get taken to a store recycle center. We have them here.
There's also GoodWill.

Unfortunately not. We dont have any recycle centers like that around here, and our Goodwill stopped taking electronics. Nasty things like CRTs I will hold onto until I can find a home for (or for the once a year hazardous waste recycle deal), but for everything else I usually strip the circuitboards out of them and scrap the wiring and metal parts.

I had also heard that Best Buy might take the CRTs, haven't investigated the option yet though.

I also just found a pail of floppies. Literally, a 5 gallon bucket full of 2.5" and 5.25" floppy disks.

Osgeld:
how many hard drives we talking about by the way?

we consume them quite a bit at work, all small things just to run windows and one application for a machine, getting low on stock

I have about 16 last count. Not sure how many of them work though. I could test them for read/write with a IDE to USB adapter before I ship. Wouldn't it be cheaper to just use SD cards to run windows? You can get 8GB ones off Amazon for like $10, and a lot of them will fit in one box.

I also uncovered this:

Its a box of payphone keypads.... The cable going from the keypad part to the PCB part is only 7 wires, so I think they are matrix keypads. Could probably fit two in a small flat rate box. Some of them look like self contained little POTS phones. They have headers for TX mic, RX REC, hook, line, and volume.

It looks like flat rate boxes are the cheapest to use to ship everything, due to the weight.

wizdum:
Wouldn't it be cheaper to just use SD cards to run windows? You can get 8GB ones off Amazon for like $10, and a lot of them will fit in one box.

yea I have argued that ...

Windows needs something that writes faster for virtual memory.

Dang, wish I had more cash free, those 5 1/4 floppy drives might have some bodacious steppers.

Yeah Wizdum, BB is one of the recycle stores.