Arduino Tiny

I didn't have time to make tests because in this days I worked at my leOS2 scheduler so I don't know if there's a method or a trick to do that.
I cannot help you, sorry.

Bear in mind that you can edit boards.txt and remove unused entries (it's the first thing I do with the boards.txt that comes with the Arduino IDE).

I know. It's the first thing that I do too. I cut all the entries not used like old boards or useless clocks, both from Arduino boards.txt and from Tiny boards.txt.

So, I have a lot of entries that goes over the bottom border of the screen. Is only me (Linux box) or someone else has the same problem?

I do.

Uhm... it's time to notify the problem... :wink:

C:\Arduino\arduino-1.5.1r2/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Arduino\arduino-1.5.1r2/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -q -q -pattiny13 -cstk500v1 -PCOM6 -b9600 -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:{bootloader.extended_fuses}:m -Uhfuse:w:0xFF:m -Ulfuse:w:0x2A:m 

"efuse" memory type not defined for part "ATtiny13"

Argh!!! I've been playing with version 1.5 for three hours and I already hate it!

avrdude: can't open input file C:\Arduino\arduino-1.5.1r2/hardware/arduino/avr/bootloaders/empty13Aat1.hex: No such file or directory
avrdude: read from file 'C:\Arduino\arduino-1.5.1r2/hardware/arduino/avr/bootloaders/empty13Aat1.hex' failed

Oops. Looking in the wrong root for the bootloader.

C:\Arduino\arduino-1.5.1r2/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Arduino\arduino-1.5.1r2/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -q -q -pattiny13 -cstk500v1 -PCOM6 -b9600 -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:{bootloader.extended_fuses}:m -Uhfuse:w:0xFF:m -Ulfuse:w:0x2A:m 
"efuse" memory type not defined for part "ATtiny13"

Oops. Using the tools.avrdude.erase.pattern from the wrong platform.txt file.

I give up. I'll try again when 1.5.2 has been released.

I found a reference to the arduino core in the platforms.txt file which should be 'tiny'. I have change that and attached it.

I'm not having any problems with 1.5.0, though it seems in 1.5.1 they changed how the menu's work so the diving of boards into submenus that I had done doesn't work anymore. Other than that though all is well (maybe its because I have a different core? though there shouldn't be an issue with that from the IDEs point of view).

platform.txt (3.92 KB)

Doesn't help. The tools.avrdude.erase and tools.avrdude.bootloader entries from the IDE platform.txt file are used instead of the ones from the tiny file.

Other than that though all is well (maybe its because I have a different core? though there shouldn't be an issue with that from the IDEs point of view).

It's not a core issue. It's an IDE issue. 1.5.1 has bugs in how platform.txt is handled. There are also some fundamental problems with the way entries are defined in platform.txt.

Thank you for trying to help.

Dropping into this thread out of the blue and starting with Arduino IDE 1.5.2, what would be the easiest way to get the arduino-tiny library going? I've looked at the page on google code, but it looks like it's all for the 1.0.x library layout.

-jcw

jcw:
Dropping into this thread out of the blue and starting with Arduino IDE 1.5.2, what would be the easiest way to get the arduino-tiny library going? I've looked at the page on google code, but it looks like it's all for the 1.0.x library layout.

Install 1.0.x...?

You can easily have both versions working side-by-side.

Install 1.0.x...?

Yes, that had crossed my mind... I was just wondering whether there's a version out in the wild which already has the reorg needed for 1.5.x.

Looks like I just got something going, BTW. But tying into an existing codebase would be nice.

-jcw

jcw:
I was just wondering whether there's a version out in the wild which already has the reorg needed for 1.5.x.

Bear in mind the multi-platform support has not finished gelling.

Is it worth the required space to install it in.. (1.5.X) My primary interest's now are the 328, 2560 and I'd sure like to learn to really use the 2313... After I think, a better understanding of the Language.

Bob

Docedison:
Is it worth the required space to install it in (1.5.X)...

I have not used 1.5.X since I first installed it. 1.0.X is an excellent choice for...

My primary interest's now are the 328, 2560...

... and I'd sure like to learn to really use the 2313. After I think, a better understanding of the Language.

Yeah, that 2313 really tests the limits of one's sanity. So very little memory.

Docedison:
Is it worth the required space to install it in.. (1.5.X) My primary interest's now are the 328, 2560 and I'd sure like to learn to really use the 2313... After I think, a better understanding of the Language.

Bob

No, in fact in my opinion one should avoid using 1.5.x unless they are using it (as required) for the new Due arm based board. It's a beta release and one should avoid using it for all 8 bit AVR chips. When it comes out of beta I'm sure they will release it as the IDE standard release to support all arduino boards.

Lefty

Cool.. Thank You Sir..

Bob

Now that the IDE 1.0.5 seems to be the last release of the branch 1.0.x (read here), are there news about the Tiny core integration into IDE 1.5.x?

leo72:
...are there news about the Tiny core integration into IDE 1.5.x?

Well, 1.5.2 is not any better. I'll give the Nightly Build a spin...

not sure how a minor revision of the 1.0 branch automatically assumes news on the beta 1.5 branch but good to know

Osgeld:
not sure how a minor revision of the 1.0 branch automatically assumes news on the beta 1.5 branch but good to know

1.5**.1** was that last time I checked for issues. The 1.0 news was just a reminder that I should recheck 1.5.

leo72:
Now that the IDE 1.0.5 seems to be the last release of the branch 1.0.x (read here), are there news about the Tiny core integration into IDE 1.5.x?

With 1.5 it is possible to include a toolset with the the core#. For example, I could include WinAVR-20100110. The included toolset would be used when building projects with the Tiny Core instead of the WinAVR-20081205 that comes with the Arduino IDE. Primarily it would eliminate the sometimes necessary step of upgrading the linker.

Do you2 want a toolset included with the Tiny Core?

If "yes" which toolset? WinAVR-20100110? The latest AVR Toolchain from Atmel? Something else?

# I would provide two downloads. One with the toolset and one without.
2 "You" meaning anyone reading this post / not just leo72.

The WinAVR-20100110 toolset will add support for the t4313 and others, but not the t1634.

The Atmel AVRtoolchain will add support for the t1634.

Is there any drawback to the Atmel AVRtoolchain?

hiduino:
Is there any drawback to the Atmel AVRtoolchain?

My testing of it has been limited to 30 minutes on one computer for the ATtiny13. The compiler is noticeably slower.

On the plus side, the final image was several bytes smaller.

I didn't find anything significant to push one way or the other.

So, the follow-up question: Are you1 using a processor that is not supported by the Arduino / WinAVR-20081205 toolset?

1 "You" meaning anyone reading this post / not just hiduino.