Power outlet solution?

Hello, I'm looking for a solution that, on the outside, looks like a regular power cable, but still does the same thing as a AC/DC regulator dealio. Anybody have anything like that?

funkyguy4000:
Hello, I'm looking for a solution that, on the outside, looks like a regular power cable, but still does the same thing as a AC/DC regulator dealio. Anybody have anything like that?

What's a dealio? A cable can't look like a wall wart if that's what you mean, one is long and slim, the other squarish.

Lefty

Why can't the wart be at at the end of the cable, away from the plug?

Why can't the wart be at at the end of the cable, away from the plug?

You can build something like that if you want. But, I think most people prefer the rather-bulky power supply be located at the high-power-end wall-end (or in the middle) where it doesn't have to be handled or moved-around. Or better yet, put the power supply inside the device and run it off AC... If I'm charging-up something small, like a say an iPod, I don't want a big thing on the ipod end.

check here
www.mpja.com
lots of power supply options.

Oh those are nice
I'm looking for something more for 5v, AC/DC
Like this one 12VDC 1A Plug Supply, 5.5/2.5mm Plug
Like looks like that, although goes to 5v not 12. I don't wanna shove 12v through 3.2v leds

I don't wanna shove 12v through 3.2v leds

Any common DC voltage can be used with your led, it's the current limiting resistor (properly calculated in regards to voltage source value and led forward voltage drop value) in series with the led that determines the proper operating current for the led. You must use a current limiting resistor with your led no matter what voltage you plan on using to power it.

Lefty

So i could just use that 12v psu and the and then shoop da whoop a resistor in there?
LIKE A BOSS!

Or you could get a lower voltage adapter here as well
https://secure.dipmicro.com/store/DCA-04510
others available as well, connect 4.5V & 5V direct to 5V/GND on the power header, bypass the onboard regulator.

Or if your up for a real challenge put a. Full bridge on it and make a buck regulator from 167volts dc to 5v

oh that sounds like quite the learning experience, any links you could point me to?

Other than google, no, but I've always wanted to do one myself just haven't had the time
the basic is that you switch power to a capacitor until it charges to your voltage, then stop, then as the voltage drops from draw you give it power only long enough to go back to 5v
how to actually do that idk, I guess a high voltage rated mosfet and a decent capacitor, as well as the controlling and sensing circuit

winner10920:
Or if your up for a real challenge put a. Full bridge on it and make a buck regulator from 167volts dc to 5v

Yeah, I tried that a while back. Not worth it :slight_smile:

Haha, okay i won't try it. I'll just take the easier route.