Is there non-static saran wrap? I've gotten two ebay IC shipments saran wrapped.

Both times this was TQFP type ICs on trays. They just cut the tray down to the number of ICs that I ordered and then saran wrapped it to keep the ICs in place. Memory serves, saran wrap is very prone to creating a static field when unwrapped from the roll prior to wrapping something or unwrapped from that something later on. I cut it off to avoid this, but like I said, saran wrap actually is worst when coming off the roll originally. Should I be concerned?

The last item I got that was delivered this way was this item:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10PCS-IC-EPM240T100C5N-TQFP100-ALTERA-NEW-GOOD-QUALITY-/300746279979

If that's how they are being packaged for shipment, I can only imagine all of the horrific things they are doing to them before hand.

That's the best idea I've heard since using magnets to hold your floppy disks to the fridge.

This is why I don't buy any parts from eBay. Thanks, but I'll spend the extra cash at Digikey and Mouser.

Hmmm, now this makes me want to buy a TQFP-100 socket to make a programmer to test the buggers out a bit. Add it to the project list...

I once ordered some Atmega8 TQFPs from Tayda. They came loose in a little ziploc bag.

Then I ordered some Atmega328 TQFPs from Digikey. They came in a sealed, static-proof bag with the packaged date written on. There was a sticker that said "Use within 24 hours of opening". Inside the bag was a humidity monitor, and bake instructions depending on the relative humidity.

...I thought that was a bit overkill :astonished: The parts work fine from either place.

Are you sure they were ATmega328's? That sounds more like a package of cookie dough.

I've had the exact same thing come with a TQFP keyboard encoder I purchased from Mouser.

pwillard:
I've had the exact same thing come with a TQFP keyboard encoder I purchased from Mouser.

Yeah, some of the surface mount parts make unreliable joints if they take on any appreciable mositure before being reflowed. So they say keep it in the bag or follow certain directions to gently bake all the moisture out of the parts (low temp long bake) before mounting. I think for my projects I can safely ignore this, but for commercial products it makes sense.

Some samples I have received have the exact same warnings.

JoeN:
They just cut the tray down to the number of ICs that I ordered and then saran wrapped it to keep the ICs in place.

Pink or clear?

OK, I dug it out of the trash can, actually it was at the top, I just didn't want to go out last night since it was 4 degrees fahrenheit here. It's clear wrap, now cut into two pieces as I didn't unwrap it and instead cut it off. If you want a picture, I could provide that later tonight or tomorrow morning. Does that tell you anything?

Pink is for electronics. Clear is for the kitchen.

On the plus side, clear is easier to recycle.

Hmm, I remember I had a calendar once with a girl wrapped in pink saran wrap, otherwise not so clothed. I wonder what her voltage was?

Well, I am irritated with them then. Maybe I should ask them what the deal was with that.

I thought the pink or clear thing was a joke. I laughed. Then I remembered getting some pink baggies with parts in them, so now I feel silly.

Hmm, I remember I had a calendar once with a girl wrapped in pink saran wrap, otherwise not so clothed. I wonder what her voltage was?

The REAL question is, what's her resistance? ]:smiley:

SirNickity:
I thought the pink or clear thing was a joke. I laughed. Then I remembered getting some pink baggies with parts in them, so now I feel silly.

A truly serendipitous post: revealing, enlightening, amusing, entertaining, and a source of mild embarrassment. Too bad my writing in school wasn't like that.

I aim to please, good sir. :wink: