Display ITDB02-3.2WD

Hi,

I have bought for my Arduino Uno this Display:
http://www.exp-tech.de/product_info.php?info=p586_3-2--widescreen-tft-lcd-screen-module--itdb02-3-2wd.html

and also this shield:
http://www.exp-tech.de/product_info.php?info=p570_itdb02-arduino-shield-v2-0--arduino-kompatibel-.html

As library I use this:
http://www.henningkarlsen.com/electronics/library.php?id=51

So far so good, ... when I load an example Programm from this Library on the Arduino there is nothing, it stay´s white and flicker a little. With other librarys its the same.

So this is such an example:

#include <UTFT.h>
#include <avr/pgmspace.h>

// Declare which fonts we will be using
extern uint8_t SmallFont[];

// Uncomment the next line for Arduino 2009/Uno
UTFT myGLCD(ITDB32WD,19,18,17,16); // Remember to change the model parameter to suit your display module!

// Uncomment the next line for Arduino Mega
//UTFT myGLCD(ITDB32S,38,39,40,41); // Remember to change the model parameter to suit your display module!

extern unsigned int info[0x400];
extern unsigned int icon[0x400];
extern unsigned int tux[0x400];

void setup()
{
myGLCD.InitLCD();
myGLCD.setFont(SmallFont);
}

void loop()
{
myGLCD.fillScr(255, 255, 255);
myGLCD.setColor(255, 255, 255);
myGLCD.print(" *** A 10 by 7 grid of a 32x32 icon *** ", CENTER, 228);
for (int x=0; x<10; x++)
for (int y=0; y<7; y++)
myGLCD.drawBitmap (x32, y32, 32, 32, info);

delay(5000);

myGLCD.fillScr(255, 255, 255);
myGLCD.setColor(255, 255, 255);
myGLCD.print(" Two different icons in scale 1 to 4 ", CENTER, 228);
int x=0;
for (int s=0; s<4; s++)
{
x+=(s32);
myGLCD.drawBitmap (x, 0, 32, 32, tux, s+1);
}
x=0;
for (int s=4; s>0; s--)
{
myGLCD.drawBitmap (x, 224-(s
32), 32, 32, icon, s);
x+=(s*32);
}

delay(5000);
}

So what´s wrong? Whats about this line:
UTFT myGLCD(ITDB32WD,19,18,17,16)

I have given in my LCD model "ITDB32WD". But whats with the Pins "19,18,17,16"? In the Document "UTFT-Requirements" it is explaint, but I think I am to stupid for this :cold_sweat:
If I change it in "4,5,15,17" its the same.

I hope somebody can help me!!

Thanks, and I hope my English is not too bad...

UTFT.pdf (86.3 KB)

UTFT_Requirements.pdf (305 KB)

UTFT_Supported_display_modules_&_controllers.pdf (33.3 KB)

rhannink:
...8 bit (256 colors) only

This is not correct. 8bit and 16bit refer to the databus width and not color depth.

UTFT is set up to use 65k colors on all supported displays, but it could, in theory, support 256, 65k and 262k colors. Color depth is set up in the init section of the library.

/Henning

And Sir you were also wrong about the data bus width... I copy and Quote:

ITDB02 default use the 8bit mode , and if you need the 16 bit mode, you can tear the LCD screen down form the board , and move the R2 resistor to R1 to change the data mode. When you use the 8bit mode , the DB8-DB15 is used ,please remember to pull the DB0-DB7 to GND.

form your link to the ITDB802 data sheet last sentence of the Description...

Doc.

Docedison:
And Sir you were also wrong about the data bus width...

Please explain why you think I was wrong. All I said is that 8bit and 16bit refer to databus width. I did not say it couldn't be changed.

And which datasheet is that quote from?

/Henning

Sir I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to the person who made the 8 Bit comment re: Arduino and his obvious lack of knowledge about Arduino and it's capabilities. There were two links on the original post, the second link at the bottom of that page takes you to The 'lesser' of the two displays was described in the original post as Only having an 8 Bit data bus and thus 256 colors... sounded to me as if though a person from Itead Studios was trying to 'push' the more expensive of the two Itead products and that generated the energy to re read and confirm prior knowledge about parallel loading color graphic displays and that product specifically as I own one, bought it for $20.00 US
I quote the whole post...

Hello,

The display you got, the 3.2"WD is a 16 bit only display (65.000 colors)
The Arduino shield you got is to be used with an Arduino Uno and is 8 bit (256 colors) only
The Library supports both, but to use this display you need the Mega shield:

http://www.exp-tech.de/product_info.php?info=p535_itead-studio-itdb02-arduino-mega-shield-v2-0.html

And an Arduino Mega board.

On the Arduino uno and you current shield you can only use 8 bit compatible displays such as:

http://www.exp-tech.de/product_info.php?info=p226_iteadstudio-itdb02-2-4d-2-4---tft-lcd-for-arduino.html

Gr. Remco

I am not aware of the data bus limiting color abilities. I am aware that the processor (Uno 328) can do int calculations and that the unsigned int declaration is for a 16 bit number. The loading of a 16 Bit number requires some small work to break it into bytes that the controller can use in 8 bit mode however I am not aware of any limitations that are created by using 8 bit mode except the time it take to load a graphic screen. So perhaps in my ignorance my post was inaccurate for this I apologize and should I be guilty of ignorance I will cheerfully remove the 'inaccurate post' and apologize for misleading anyone that had the misfortune to read it.

Doc

Hi Luggal,

3.2 LCD runs really slow on 8 bits, so most of 3.2 LCD don't use 8 bits. Get a 2.4'' LCD with 8 bits, so you have enough pins for other functions like SD card and touch panel. and only use a 3.2 LCD with arduino MEGA.

2.4'' TFT LCD: (broken link removed by moderator)

electrodragon:
3.2 LCD runs really slow on 8 bits, so most of 3.2 LCD don't use 8 bits.

What is the basis for this statement?

The size of the screen has nothing to do with the speed. The resolution of the screen has an impact. Since most 3.2" and 2.4" displays use 320x240 pixels they will be exactly the same speed provided they use the same bus width.
The difference between 8bit and 16bit communication is also minimal as the 8bit only require a few clock cycles extra per write.

electrodragon:
Get a 2.4'' LCD with 8 bits, so you have enough pins for other functions like SD card and touch panel. and only use a 3.2 LCD with arduino MEGA.

This statment is mostly true, but it looks more like electrodragon are trying to push their own merchandise than trying to be helpful.
It is best to use 8bit modules on Arduino 2009/Uno, and move up to a Mega of you need a 16bit module. This is only needed because of the number of available IO pins, and NOT because of the speed.

/Henning

PS! The above statement is not fully accurate, as the speed also depends on the LCD panel refresh rate, controller speed, etc., but it is accurate enough for this context.

Sir I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to ...

@Docedison: I know that your posts are already typically longer than necessary but you really should include a quote to avoid problems like this.

It's also a good idea because otherwise the 'quotee' may modify or correct his original statement making your response look inappropriate or even ignorant. Also, he may remove the statement completely which frequently makes the entire thread useless for others who are looking for information about a similar problem.

Don

Thank you for the advice I did mistake, I was in a hurry and didn't scroll down to get the name and that was rude of me. I apologize If I in any way gave issue of any kind I assure all that there was none intended. I do "talk too much, just the lessons I had to learn under the gun... At work, better I guess to...
"let each man his lessons learn best."

Doc