Go Down

Topic: Measure gain of frequency on coax cable (CATV) (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

KuCZik

Mar 30, 2017, 10:35 am Last Edit: Mar 30, 2017, 11:06 am by KuCZik
Hi, I am learning for new job as a technician for CATV company and I need one thing that I probably dont receive from my company and I dont want to buy it in first month for about 1500$.

I need to measure gain in dB on two frequencies (147,25 and 855,25 MHz) that are passing through coax cable from company box in houses to the flats. If the gain is lower than 50dB and higher than 70dB, internet through CATV will not work and HD canals will sometimes not work too...

So I just want to know, if there is something, that I can do with my Arduino UNO (or maybe Raspberry Pi), to measure the gain only on these two freqs (tolerance of +- 2dB is good)?

Thanks for the replies

EDIT: I dont need any graphs, I just need to show me this on my I2C 20x4 LCD:
147,25 MHz - XX dB
855,25 MHz - XX dB

And we are working with Promax 10 Premium QAM Analyzers, but I need just only this one function for the start.

mauried

Your question makes no sense.
Coax cable does not create gain.
Its a lossy transmission medium.
If you are trying to measure the loss of a TV signal thru a coax cable, then you will need a
professional signal strength meter, and these things are expensive.
An Arduino will be of no help here.

Paul_KD7HB

No matter what you build or buy, it must be calibrated properly or it is unusable for what you want. Calibration is not cheap, either.

Paul

MarkT

Apr 04, 2017, 02:51 pm Last Edit: Apr 04, 2017, 02:52 pm by MarkT
So I just want to know, if there is something, that I can do with my Arduino UNO (or maybe Raspberry Pi), to measure the gain only on these two freqs (tolerance of +- 2dB is good)?

No, because neither a microcontroller nor a computer is a piece of VHF or UHF RF test equipment.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

Go Up